Seizure newbie questions...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sky_One99

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a 39 year old male and over the last 12 months I have started having seizures, to date I have had 5, 3 asleep & 2 awake;

My first ever seizure was Dec 2014. I woke up at 06 am, got out of bed, checked the weather out the window & decided it was ridiculously too early to get up from a nice warm bed - so I got back in. It felt uncomfortable however I lay in bed but I must have fallen asleep. My next memory is paramedics in the room standing over me. I have been told that my head started banging on the wall next to my bed and as I was unresponsive the paramedics were called. I remained unresponsive and was given some sort of injection which brought me round in a very confused state with my heart racing (120bpm) and I had also wet myself. I was out for about 20 minutes. I spent a night in hospital with various tests done (blood/urine/ecg/chest x-ray/ct scan) which were normal. The diagnosis was a seizure and I was released next day with a neurologist appointment. The neurologist follow-up concluded it was an isolated seizure which anyone can get at some point and I was discharged with no meds.

June 2015, 6 months later my second seizure. I was working at my desk typing an email or something and joining in a sports conversations with my immediate colleagues who sit opposite and behind me. I remember a moment when it felt I had lost concentration and looked to the side of the screen and the right side of my face was twitching/jerking for about 5 minutes. My next memory is lying on the floor with paramedics hooking me up to machines and colleagues in the background. I was taken to hospital, checked over, discharged and told I will need further investigations. My colleagues description of event is that all of a sudden I let out a scream like I was on a dropping rollercoaster as I spun round in my chair to face my colleague behind me. I was sitting upright in my chair but looked completely spaced out then I lost conciousness and colleagues supported me to the floor where my legs where twitching, drooling from the mouth and breathing heavily. I was out for 10-15 minutes.

July 2015, 1 month later my third seizure. I went to bed then my next memory is lying on the bedroom floor with paramedics over me. I was taken to hospital, checked over and put on another waiting list for a seizure clinic then discharged. I have been told that I made some sort of noise verbal & banging on the wall, was breathing heavily, some twitching and was unresponsive so paramedics were called. I was given an oxygen mask and some sort of injection which brought me round feeling as if I had just normally woken up. I was talking with the paramedics and answering all their questions and they were concerned as my heart was racing (120-150bpm). I wet myself a little bit, may have bitten my tongue and was out for about 15 minutes.

August 2015, 3 weeks later my fourth seizure. I was working at my desk and remember concentrating hard on something on the screen then my next memory is lying on the floor with paramedics over me and colleagues standing around. It felt like waking up and I was alert quicker and talking with the paramedics and actually walked to the ambulance. I was taken to hospital, checked over and discharged. My colleagues description of event is that it is almost identical to the last time, I let out a scream while sat in my chair looking spaced out then I lost conciousness and colleagues supported me to the floor where I lay with my legs twitching, drooling from the mouth and breathing heavily. I was out for about 7-10 minutes. It was also on the same day and almost exactly the same time!

August 2015, 7 days later my fifth seizure. I went to bed early 11.30pm (normally I would stay up until 01am), then my next memory is a paramedic over me putting a mask on my face and hooking me up to his machine. He checked me over and I was answering all his questions and he decided he wanted to take me to hospital but I declined. He completed the notes and after being with me for 40 minutes left - I cleaned myself up and went back to sleep. I have been told that I made a screeching noise and when someone can to check on me found me breathing heavily and twitching in bed unresponsive so paramedics were called. I came round just as the paramedic arrived in the room. I wet myself, may have bitten my tongue and was out for under 10 minutes. Before going to bed I had eaten half a grapefruit.

I am waiting for a consultation at the seizure clinic or with a neuro and not taking any meds.

Thats my story and I was wondering the following;

1. Does 5 seizures in 12 months mean I have epilepsy?

2. Before my last seizure I was apprehensive about eating the grapefruit before bed as people have told me it interacts with epilepsy. Even though I'm not on any meds, for some reason I was weary of eating it but then decided why not and had half. Then 2 hours later I had my seizure - complete coincidence or can it be related?

3. My last 4 seizures all happened on the same day of the week and similar times ; awake - both same day almost exactly the same time (+/- 5 mins), asleep - both same day of the week, (hours apart) - another coincidence?

Your input most welcome.

Thx

SO99

First of all, Hiya, and welcome. Come in, sit down and take a breath.

1)The official definition of epilepsy is two or more seizures. That is just sticking a label on it though. Don't worry about that. "Epilepsy" is not a disease. It is just a description of the fact that you are having some seizures. We know that. The question then becomes *why* are you having seizures.

2)Grapefruit can interact with some epilepsy medications in a bad way but grapefruit does not cause seizures. Grapefruit can interact with a lot of medications particularly those meant for thinning the blood such as Cumadin. Are you on any other meds for any other medical conditions?

3)Some people have only sleep seizures (like me) and some have both.

This is a thread where some helpful info came out about sleep seizures:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/anyone-nocturnal-seizures-25194/

Have you ever been tested for or told that you have sleep apnea?

About the two when you were awake, both at work. There could be something in your work environment that is a trigger for you. Some people have trouble with florescent lighting, some have trouble with computer monitors. These all come under the general heading of "photosensitivity", blinking/flashing/too bright things can bring on a seizure.

A lot of things can cause seizures that are very easily treatable. Things like blood sugar irregularities, electrolyte imbalances, nutrient deficiencies.

Usually the first step in making a diagnosis is to rule out structural problems in your head like brain tumors, blood vessel abnormalities, and scar tissue from any old head injuries. Did you ever take a header off your bike as a kid? You said you have had a CT scan. Have you had an MRI?

Once they cross those things off the list, then they will probably give you an EEG to look at your brain waves.

A lot of seizure disorders fall under the official designation of "idiopathic" which is the word the docs use when they don't have a clue but couldn't possibly just say so.

2. Before my last seizure I was apprehensive about eating the grapefruit before bed as people have told me it interacts with epilepsy. Even though I'm not on any meds, for some reason I was weary of eating it but then decided why not and had half. Then 2 hours later I had my seizure - complete coincidence or can it be related?

Your input most welcome.

Thx

Grapefuit can change the pH of your stomach, increasing its acidity, which can make you more seizure prone. I have to avoid many fruits for this reason, or be very careful and have these foods in limited quantities so as to not exceed my acidic threshold. The stomach likes a pH between 7.35 and 7.45, slightly alkali. Any food that increases its acidity may increase your overall reactivity and lower your seizure threshold.

Half of one grapefruit has been sufficient to give me the runs more than once.

For the above reasons, I do not think it is a coincidence.

Last edited:
Your stomach is already a vat of hydrochloric acid as it needs to be to properly digest your food. One grapefruit is not going to change that significantly. If you chugged a gallon of grapefruit juice, maybe.

Welcome Sky,
Hope that you can get some answers soon. Like Aloha mentioned Epilepsy is just a label for having 2 or more seizures. The big part is trying to figure out Why?
Good Luck!
M

Back
Top Bottom