Seizure, sleep paralysis, or something else?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

evila_elf

New
Reaction score
Hello! I am relatively new here.

I've been researching what's going on with me for the last few years, but can't get all the symptoms to match up.

This started about 10 years ago right when I got up, went to the bathroom, then went to the refrigerator for something to drink. As soon as I got there, it felt like I was under a waterfall and could barely stand up. My Dad said my face went white. After a few minutes and something to drink and eat, I felt better and was able to go to work.

Nothing else happened for a month or so. And this happened right after I went to bed. Just when I was in the drifting off stage of sleep, I was instantly awake. There was a roaring in my ears that got louder and louder. The feeling goes through my body almost like a light electro shock. Then I heard a voice that sounded like an old (scary) lady, and had just a bad feeling of doom. Scared the sh*t out of me.

Happened several other times, same way, same time. In looking back, I found out it only happened on days when I went to the movies and had a ton of buttered popcorn (!?!). When I ate something after I got home, even if not hungry, the terrors stopped.

I experimented a few times after that, and the same feeling would always happen if I didn't eat something after having a large amount of buttered popcorn, though the voice got less scary when I started expecting her.

Now, it happens a few times a year, though I haven't heard the voice in quite awhile. Most recently last night after microwave popcorn, even though I had a little something afterward. I don't know if I am paralyzed or not while this happens, but I am fully awake and always have a 'Not again!' feeling. Sometimes my cat is laying on my chest, and she doesn't seem displaced during this, so I don't do much moving except maybe getting a little stiff.

In my research, it sounds mostly like night terrors/sleep paralysis. But I can never find any relation to fatty foods/butter being the cause. Is there a chance this could be a seizure? Should I see a doctor? I plan to if it happens more frequently and without the butter connection.

Hi evila_elf —

I haven't heard of buttered popcorn being a trigger, though everyone is different. It could be that you are unusually sensitive to chemicals used in artificially buttered popcorn -- see http://www.cbsnews.com/news/diacety...popcorn-linked-to-alzheimers-plaque-build-up/ -- which can potentially affect the brain.

Your symptoms could be related to seizures, but as you note, they might also be sleep paralysis. They could influenced by sleep apnea, or anxiety (both of which are associated with sleep paralysis). Given that avoiding popcorn seems to prevent the symptoms, then it seems less likely that they are seizure-related. But the best way to get a handle on what's going on is to see your doctor. Your doc can ask questions about your overall health and health history that might point in one direction or another.

In the meantime, continue to track when unusual symptoms occur. If they increase in frequency or duration, then you should let your doc know.

Best,
Nakamova

Hello! I am relatively new here.

This started about 10 years ago right when I got up, went to the bathroom, then went to the refrigerator for something to drink. As soon as I got there, it felt like I was under a waterfall and could barely stand up. My Dad said my face went white. After a few minutes and something to drink and eat, I felt better and was able to go to work.

Welcome evila_elf,

As I read this first paragraph^, my first though was hypoglycemia. This part does sound like hypoglycemia.

evila_elf said:
Nothing else happened for a month or so. And this happened right after I went to bed. Just when I was in the drifting off stage of sleep, I was instantly awake. There was a roaring in my ears that got louder and louder. The feeling goes through my body almost like a light electro shock. Then I heard a voice that sounded like an old (scary) lady, and had just a bad feeling of doom. Scared the sh*t out of me.

Happened several other times, same way, same time. In looking back, I found out it only happened on days when I went to the movies and had a ton of buttered popcorn (!?!). When I ate something after I got home, even if not hungry, the terrors stopped.

Since the terrors stop after you eat something, my guess is you may have some sort of hormonal imbalance that can bring on these night terrors/paralysis. Or perhaps Narcolepsy....

evila_elf said:
In my research, it sounds mostly like night terrors/sleep paralysis. But I can never find any relation to fatty foods/butter being the cause. Is there a chance this could be a seizure? Should I see a doctor? I plan to if it happens more frequently and without the butter connection.

There is a chance you could have seizure-like symptoms because of some hormonal disorder like Diabetes or Narcolepsy. IMO, you should see an endocrinologist (hormonal dr.) ASAP!

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/narcolepsy?page=1#1

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetic-hypoglycemia/basics/symptoms/con-20034680

Nighttime symptoms

Diabetic hypoglycemia can also occur while you sleep. Signs and symptoms, which can awaken you, include:
Damp sheets or bedclothes due to perspiration
Nightmares
Tiredness, irritability or confusion upon waking

Severe symptoms

If diabetic hypoglycemia goes untreated, signs and symptoms of severe hypoglycemia can occur. These include:

Clumsiness or jerky movements
Muscle weakness
Difficulty speaking or slurred speech
Blurry or double vision
Drowsiness
Confusion
Convulsions or seizures
Unconsciousness

I had an experience about three years ago where my face was white, and I could not stand, etc. It was my thyroid. My TSH was over 100, and the normal is around 2 to 4. That was the only time that happened. I could not afford thyroid medication, and that was the consequence. Since I have been back on thyroid medication, it has not happened since.

Your needing to eat to calm anxiety could also be a metabolic issue. I have to eat regularly since I can't manufacture ATP from fat tissue. If I feel anxious, it is many times because I need to eat. The anxiety calms down after I eat.

I agree with Cint as well. My symptoms are similar to those who have diabetes, but I know it is not diabetes since my glucose is almost always in the normal range.

My brother was born with Type 1 diabetes, and was not diagnosed until recently. (He does not go to doctors, which was part of the problem.) He was hyperglycemic. His glucose at the time of diagnosis was 470. His doctor was very concerned. Since then, he has managed and adapted quite well, with the help of insulin and dietary changes.

Last edited:
Hey Evila.

I was going to ask if you ever had any blood sugar issues. I see Cint hit on that a lot better than I could have. The symptoms you are having are either similar to those of seizures or the triggering problem may have be causing a sort of seizure. I expect the prior.

Look deeply into what Cint had mentioned.

Good luck!

I haven't heard of buttered popcorn being a trigger, though everyone is different. It could be that you are unusually sensitive to chemicals used in artificially buttered popcorn -- see http://www.cbsnews.com/news/diacety...popcorn-linked-to-alzheimers-plaque-build-up/ -- which can potentially affect the brain.

Your symptoms could be related to seizures, but as you note, they might also be sleep paralysis. They could influenced by sleep apnea, or anxiety (both of which are associated with sleep paralysis). Given that avoiding popcorn seems to prevent the symptoms, then it seems less likely that they are seizure-related.
My other though would be the salt involved. There are some people who have trouble regulating their electrolytes and a sodium (or potassium or magnesium) imbalance can cause seizures.
Also, some brands use MSG as a cheaper filler for salt. That is known to cause migraines and strongly implicated in seizures as well.

P.S. some interesting info came out on this thread about specifically nocturnal seizures and all the other "para-somnias".
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/anyone-nocturnal-seizures-25194/

Last edited:
My other though would be the salt involved. There are some people who have trouble regulating their electrolytes and a sodium (or potassium or magnesium) imbalance can cause seizures.
Also, some brands use MSG as a cheaper filler for salt. That is known to cause migraines and strongly implicated in seizures as well.

Another reason to see an endocrinologist ASAP!

Endocrinologists treat diabetes with diet and blood sugar reducing medications, including insulin. They also work closely with patients to control blood sugar and monitor them so they can prevent health problems.

Thyroid disorders
This could be an overactive thyroid or hyperthyroidism or underactive thyroid or hypothyroidism.

Endocrinologists treat patients reach a hormone balance by replacing or blocking thyroid hormone depending on whether there is hypo or hyperthyroidism.

Other common diseases and disorders that endocrinologists manage
~Metabolic diseases
~Menopause and its hormonal unbalances
~Over- or underproduction of hormones
~Osteoporosis and vitamin D deficiency leading to osteomalacia and rickets in children
~Infertility
~Precocious puberty
~Lack of growth (short stature)
~Pediatric endocrine diseases
~Excessive growth or acromegaly/gigantism
~Cancers of the endocrine glands
~High blood pressure due to endocrine dysfunctions like adrenal gland tumors
pheochromocytoma
~High blood cholesterol or lipid abnormalities associated with heart disease

I emphasize seeing an endocrinologist ASAP because I too, have E, Type 1 Diabetes, AND an under active thyroid. Therefore, I DO know what I'm talking about.Things don't change by themselves. The thyroid problem runs in my family.

Back
Top Bottom