Seizures you can set your watch by!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dianne

New
Reaction score
Good Morning All

There has been no rhyme nor reason to my sons seizures untill now, and they seem to be setting a horrible pattern

He had one tc a year for a few years, then none for five years. Ten weeks ago he had two tc's five hours apart, five weeks ago he had two tc's five hours apart. Yesterday he had what can anly amount to at least 100 absence sz's. I made him go to bed and stay there and am convinced that headed off annother tc. They seem to be occurring five weeks apart virtually to the day

Has to be said though, I am looking for patterns now

Dianne

It's frustrating when the seizure patterns accelerate. Stacy's seizures have usually followed a pretty obvious pattern, even if the pattern changed.

bernard said:
It's frustrating when the seizure patterns accelerate. Stacy's seizures have usually followed a pretty obvious pattern, even if the pattern changed.

Thinking about it, which I am trying not to do too much at the moment, the tc's have had a pattern I just didint notice it. Untill the recent sz's they always occurred at home, where it was safe to have them. Now they always occur at work, if anything his stress levels at work have decreased in recent weeks

Dianne

I should have expected this! My sons meds were increased today, in an attempt to arrest these seizures. The third meds increase in as many months, no wonder he is feeling so knocked off

He has his next appointment with his epi in July. I guess we are looking at a meds review at the least and a meds change at the worst, as his meds level is heading towards a toxic level. I live in dread of meds changes after one that went horribly wrong. So I guess to be on the safe side I'd better book some time off work, just in case

Has anybody got any experience of meditation in relation to epilepsy control via relaxation techniques

Very negative today

Dianne

Sorry to hear the news Dianne.

Do you know if your son keeps a regular sleep schedule by any chance? How many hours of sleep does he get every night?

That and diet are big factors for Stacy.

Dianne said:
Hello Bernard

My son still lives at home, so yes I do know his sleep patterns. He sleeps for around 8 hours every night, and I never wake him up, because that can trigger a seizure

His diet hasnt changed in any tangible way for months at the very least. He eats a fairly good diet, with little junk, mainly wholefoods

I have been looking for patterns and I just cant see any. The only possibility is a build up of stress, but I protect him from a lot of stress, unless of course I am the stressing factor. He has no relationship, money or any other worries that I know about

His meds level has been checked via blood and they are fine. I just dont understand it at all, unless his E is just progressing into a more aggressive form

I'd really welcome any advice anybody has got

Dianne

Dianne,

Perhaps he would do better with 9 hours of sleep a night. Did you see the sleep deprivation discussion? Stacy's doc has recommended that she get 9 hours of sleep every night and that she make a routine of going to sleep at the same time every night.

bernard said:
Dianne,

Perhaps he would do better with 9 hours of sleep a night. Did you see the sleep deprivation discussion? Stacy's doc has recommended that she get 9 hours of sleep every night and that she make a routine of going to sleep at the same time every night.

Bernard

You are so right, he has been sleeping longer just recently and the sz's may have calmed down slightly. Things have moved on a pace though since my last post, his meds were increased slightly with each cluster of sz's. Now he is suffering from side-effects of a near toxic dose (they only realised it was probably toxic when I said I thought the symptoms were related to the meds and not the epilepsy). So now the meds are being fiddled with to try and hold sz's at bay without side effects from meds

Its a fine line we all walk down this epilepsy journey, it appears that the line is becoming extremely fine in my sons case

Dianne

I need nine hours of sleep a night to stay healthy and maybe your son needs that amount too. How much sleep each of us needs to stay healthy is just as individualized as the rest of the epilepsy journey!

Back
Top Bottom