Sex and Seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lizzyj406

New
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm hoping for some advice or support or anything really. I have what have been drug resistant seizures for about five years now. I have recently started seeing a great guy - he's supportive and funny, we fish together, and he just got accepted to grad school (yay!). However, every time we have sex I have a rather significant seizure. And I mean EVERY time. It either happens during or right after and really puts a damper on the mood. He simply rolls with the seizure and makes sure I don't hurt myself. I am SO frustrated with this - and frankly, its a little embarrassing to have a seizure naked. Seizures are exhausting, they interrupt my memory, and kinda just kill the mood. Has anyone had to deal with this? How do you and your partner deal with it?

I've had a seizure during sex once. My husband thought I was really getting into the mood because I started going crazy in the bed. That's when he looked down and saw that my eyes were rolled back and my mouth was hanging open drooling. We make jokes about it now.

I can't imagine what it would be like having one every time. Is there anything going on before you have sex? Are you nervous about it? I don't know if you are using any sort of protection but you could be worried about what could happen if you're not.

I hope someone else can give you more advice on this.

I've had seizures during sex before. when I have have a seizure I don't also remember having one it's like when I've called out someomeone else name and we still joke about it.

We do often joke about it - I believe a sense of humor is crucial to coping :)

We always use protection and I'm on birth control just to be safe. I never feel anxious about it and he's always very good about making sure everything is ok and I'm feeling good about it. Thank goodness for a great guy!

I had one once after sex. It was slightly embarrasing especially since he didn't know I have them. I kind of just briefly explained and left haha.

Having sex releases all sorts of chemicals and hormones and such into our bodies, and I imagine it must cause electrical activity in the brain as well. I think that would somehow be involved with it more than stress, because it doesn't sound like you are feeling stressed about it.

I hope you find a solution!

Back
Top Bottom