Should I do a road trip?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ln1

New
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should do a 10-hour road trip. My 13 year old daughter and I are talking about doing a girls' trip this summer. We do a lot of domestic and international travel with my husband and son, but we were thinking of doing something just the two of us. We don't mind flying, but we want an adventure.

I haven't had a seizure in 2 years, and I feel up to the challenge, but I don't know... What do you think?

Thank you!

GO Girl!! You're able to drive, right? If you've been seizure FREE for TWO years, what is holding you back? Have fun!

That's really up to you, but I'll never feel 100% comfortable driving again. I hadn't had even an aura in over 6 years when I had one out of the blue while driving myself & my brother around. I don't remember anything about it but from what I understand we we not going more than 35mph and hit a fairly small tree, but it is a miracle we were not more injured than we were.

The photos of the wreck that I can't seem to post since I am a new member here will always remind me that I am not truly in control of myself; no matter what meds I am on or how long it had been since my last seizure, and that I cannot predict whether I'll have a mild aura or a TC. I don't drive at all anymore.

GO Girl!! You're able to drive, right? If you've been seizure FREE for TWO years, what is holding you back? Have fun!

I agree! Just make sure you take a extra supply of your medication incase you are delayed returning home, and since it's been a couple of years since you've had a seizure just review with your daughter what she should do in case you do.

Cool. I hope it's really fun. You can do this. I myself carry (my wife does) . The doc gave us lorazepam to take off absurd happens take that pill and after seizing it kind of puts me to sleep but cuts out the seizing from coming/continuing. But I too am afraid to go camping with my son. He is 16. He stays with his m mom. I tend to have 10 minutes of more of seizure activity all at once. So I hear your worries about being a parent.

I love doing road trips and I just make sure not to stress my body out. Plus, as mentioned above, I carry extra medication and Ativan.

Go for it! :)

We just got back home yesterday evening. My daughter kept saying how happy she is we did it. The weather was beautiful for a long trip...there wasn't much traffic on the road...we spent time with close friends...I had no seizure activity...it was wonderful!

We just got back home yesterday evening. My daughter kept saying how happy she is we did it. The weather was beautiful for a long trip...there wasn't much traffic on the road...we spent time with close friends...I had no seizure activity...it was wonderful!

good for you.

Typically, in times of very low stress, enjoyment, friends/family, etc. I am as normal as it gets.

You dont have a care in the world and that, for me, is big. I can even have a few drinks, stay up past midnight, etc. When you let the good times roll, ive never had the slightest issue.

good for you.

Typically, in times of very low stress, enjoyment, friends/family, etc. I am as normal as it gets.

You dont have a care in the world and that, for me, is big. I can even have a few drinks, stay up past midnight, etc. When you let the good times roll, ive never had the slightest issue.

So true! I have a friend who says, "Your health is your wealth". It's amazing how feeling physically and/or mentally healthy makes me feel like the world is a perfect place.

So true! I have a friend who says, "Your health is your wealth". It's amazing how feeling physically and/or mentally healthy makes me feel like the world is a perfect place.

Ive partied a bit more a few times in the last few years than i should of.

Gone past my 3 drink limit, was up til 130am, etc, etc.

But in times of joy, nothing has ever happened to me. All of my big issues do not affect me. Sure the next day isnt the greatest, but you just need to do is think back on the great night you just had & smile.

**PLZ**all, do not take this as you can live it up & ignore you issues......but in limited amounts, i have been able to have a decent amount of fun

And thats what matters to me, sure i have to goto the DR every 6 wks for one thing or another & be down a bit. Feeling quite sick or disabled, but as long as i am able to partake in the fun times/moments/events ive been pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom