Should I Tell My Doctors This?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
I looked at the report from this last time I went to the hospital and it said this about my eyes.
Quote- bilaterally dilated pupils, but reactive to light. Extraocular movements or lid lag can not be commented on. Moist conjunctivae, anicteric sclera. Pupils are dilated, but reactive to light.-End Of Quote
Does this happen afte a Tonic Clonic Seizure?
What does this mean? Because the first time I went to the doctor they said that my eyes were not dialated. And now there saying I think that they were. So what does this mean for me? Is this something my doctor should know?

Here's the scoop:
During seizures, the pupils dilate and stay that way even if a light is shone in them. (The normal reaction would be that both pupils would constrict). After the seizure, the pupils behave normally, though occasionally there may be transient dilation.

So EMTs or docs who shine a flashlight are looking to see if pupils are behaving normally (indicating that the seizure has stopped). If your pupils were "reactive to light" that means the seizure was over at that point, even if there was "transient dilation."

Transient dilation just means that the pupils are dilating a bit every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom