sleep paralysis or seizure???????

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
okay i am pretty confused im am not sure if i had sleep paralysis or like a partial seizure. I have always had sleep paralysis i have episodes every month like 6 times. Yesterdays seemed so strange i fell back asleep in the morning on the couch and i heard my son cry in my dream so i began to try to wake myself up i opened my eyes for a brief moment i saw my living room then it felt like my head started shaking for a moment it was almost as if i heard myself try to scream it was very quiet but then i felt a tingle in both legs and the it was over and i was awake i have no clue if this was my paralysis or a seizure i have had these kind before there just very seldom and i always thought it was paralysis right off. I didnt bite my tongue wet myself or etc. i didn't have sore muscles i just felt kinda blah the rest of the day and was just really freaked out does anyone know what this was i know its hard to tell with a description but this is the best i can describe it . . . .. :ponder:

It sounds more ike sleep paralysis to me. It has the classic features -- the sense of panic, the vivid hallucinatory/nightmare aspect. The tingling is just the feeling as your body wakes up.

Can you pinpoint a reason why your symptoms may have changed? Sometimes extra stress or fatigue can be contributing factors. Have you ever had a sleep study done? That might help to see if your sleep is being affected in any way throughout the night.

thank you for your reply i was hoping it was just paralysis rather then seizures..im not sure why it would be different for some reason my sleep para. seems to get worse when i get too much sleep not the other way around. Or when i fall asleep in a different spot i have had these starnge attatcks before but these ones are very seldom so m not sure why they are different sometimes. Plus i hear if you have caffene before bed it can make it worse??? If this is true do u think it was worse bc i had hot chocolate:ponder: right before i fell asleep?

Absolutely, caffeine (and also alcohol) can interfere with sleep. Also sleeping face-up seems to play a role in causing sleep paralysis.

It may be that when you sleep longer than usual you are actually having a poorer quality of sleep overall. A sleep study might show more. Another thing you could try is the ZEO. It's a device that you wear that monitors your sleep. In the morning, it shows you how you really slept, including your time in REM and Deep sleep. More info here: http://www.myzeo.com/sleep/

Back
Top Bottom