Sodium valproate or Keppra...or any other advice!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

EC77

New
Reaction score
I had seizures from 18 but I was taken off my meds & gave up alcohol & nothing for 8 years. Then 2years ago I suffered a skull fracture, 7 months later I had 2 seizures within 1h of each other. Now on 600 Episenta (sodium valproate slow release capsules). Now 18 months after starting meds, I have had 2days where I have had several auras which the neurologist is calling partial seizures. I have put on a lot of weight despite reducing food intake considerably & running regularly. At my neurologist appointment today I have been told I have three options. 1. Stay as I am but risk a grand mal seizure. 2. Increase Episenta by 150 but risk more weight. 3. Transfer from Episenta to Keppra.

I'd be SO grateful for any advice. Experiences of valproate/Epilim, Keppra, transferring from one med to another. I really don't want to lose my driving licence again & don't want the girls constantly worrying that "mummy is feeling dizzy". Thank you.

Last edited:
hi there, really hard to decide what to do, really the only person is you. There are things to consider: you may lose your licence, seizures may return, keppra may not work for your type of epilepsy, you may not cope well with the initial side effects of keppra.However, considering you are controlled on sodium valproate 600mg daily (as i was), perhaps the 500mg x 2 keppra will be suitable for you. By the way i am off SODVAL (epilim) for almost 2 weeks now and thankfully no jerks or seizures.
600mg is a relatively low dose of SOD VAL,do you still have weight problems on this dose, would you consider dropping to 400mg (on neuros advice) of SOD VAL, if you don't consider keppra? I would advise on my experience to try keppra, i felt i had to as i wish to have a baby and i was too afraid to do so on epilim and had to give keppra a go at least. If i can help more please let me know. Good luck. Speak to your family and friends, but it is your decision at the end of the day.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have had partial seizure (only twice in 3 months) so I need to be increased to 750mg of Episenta or change onto 500x2 Keppra. How much Epilim were you taking before you switched? That's the problem with seizures and medication, it effects everyone differently, it's just been really nice to be in contact with someone else who has had to make similar changes. Thank you, I really appreciate it. Emma.

I know it is a daunting decision to make. I was on 1000mg daily of epilim for years. Got slowly reduced to 800 mg daily then to 600mg epilim daily. Very well controlled on lower dose. Then swapped epilim for keppra. Slow intro to keppra while still on epilim, then slowly decreased epilim to zero and thankfully all still going well. Hope u can make a choice best for you, unfort meds affect ppl differently so it is hard.

I got changed from epilum to kepra and been ok, weight till he same, felt tired more than usual.
I was told it was a wonder drug, ummmmmm.
I'm on 1250mgs twice/day.
It's been about 3-4 years fit free now and driving.
I do have groggy days though.

Last edited:
Hi T-V
That's interesting that you say you feel mostly the same, I too was made to feel like Keppra was the only AC that didn't have any physical side effects and left you feeling more mentally alert and didn't affect your metabolism. Can I ask you why you changed from Epilim to Keppra and how much Epilim you were on before you changed? Thank you.

I was prescribed epilum until until 10 years ago. But I never took it.
My pattern never changed always 2-3 years before another fit.
I think I was prescribed 2x 500 mg, but what made me stop was when I lived in Milton Keynes there was a warning in the local paper stating that some had been stolen and if taken would cause severe liver damage. Bamm that was enough to make me stop.

I know it was stupid and they have to put in on the sheets, but my pattern never changed I was still collecting them as per normal but putting them in a wardrobe.

After my divorce I met now my wife whom is 11 years younger than me and she fell pregnant ( I never wanted kids because of the fear of transmitting my condition to them.) and I felt that it was not just me now but my family and I needed to start acting responsibly, strange for me as like most blokes I'm a big kid.

So I contacted my local hospital and was seen by a doctor whom recommended Kepra,
They first said 1x 500mg increasing to 2x after two weeks, so off the bat I did 2x 500mg man did it hit or what. I felt tired not having the energy to do anything.

I now suffer panic attacks through and not good one, but they are better than the flashbacks I suffer from.

I am mentally alert anyway, and hyperactive good as I'm a sales person.
I am a fanatic petrol head, whom drag races cars, bikes.
I do power kites, did do martial arts.
Anything extreme but thats because I was told I can't do it.

I can, i do and I'm very competitive.

But to simply answer your question I was sold it as a wonder drug, an upto date alternative to epilim, minus the side effects.

Hi guys

Just wanted to update you...thanks to your honesty, help and advice I made the choice to switch over to Keppra. I'm 3 weeks into the 5 month changeover (half dose now) and feeling so much better. Just keeping fingers crossed that in January-May when I come off the Episenta that it controls the seizures! Thank you both again for all your help. Emma x

Back
Top Bottom