Son with tonic-clonics, started Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Khodges

New
Reaction score
My 7 year old son has had 3 tonic-clonic's all about 6-8 weeks apart. Happening when he wakes up and seem to be triggered by sleep deprivation. Started Keppra 2x daily. Advice? I am diligent about getting him and his identical twin in bed for plenty of sleep...I don't think he sleeps well (up frequently during the night)...Should I ask for a sleep study? Anyone know of identical twins both with epilepsy?

Has the Keppra helped, or has he continued to have seizures after starting the med? If it's not helping there are other meds to try. Sleep deprivation can be a strong seizure trigger, though if someone has a predisposition to seizures the transitional periods (falling asleep or waking up) can be primetime for seizures. If he's up during the night it could also be due to seizure activity, so a sleep study might be helpful.

Does his twin have any seizure symptoms or is he symptom-free? Identical twins are more likely to both have epilepsy, particularly if the epilepsy is a syndrome with a strong genetic component, or is related to a genetic mutation in the embryo.

He has only been on Keppra for 2 days, so I guess time will tell. His brother is symptom free!

I hope the Keppra helps... If you see any mood changes/crankiness as a result, ask the doc about adding a B6 supplement (it can help with that Keppra side effect).

Back
Top Bottom