Stress and Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

chimchase

New
Reaction score
Greetings,

I just suffered a Grand Mal Seizure while driving to work Yesterday morning. I remember pulling out of my driveway and that is it. I somehow made is about 200 yards and pulled over? I vaguely remember small details of driving back home but besides this...

I have been taking my Lamictal on a regular basis (2 200mg pills a day). What could cause my episode? I have been going through alot of stress lately along with very little sleep. Could this have such an affect to where it would trigger this?

Has anybody else had a problem like this? Would it be wise to change my meds?

stress can cause seizures to come about. What I would do, is first off contact your neurologist and let them know what happened. Talk it over with them and see if they want to do any changes to the medication. In the meantime, try your best to relax and not focus on the stressful things in life. I know easier said than done.

When stress gets overwhelming, I like to find a quiet place to lay down, and practice deep breathing exercises and consciously attempt to relax every muscle in my body.

This is what I'm talking about.

Relaxation technique 1: Breathing meditation for stress relief

With its focus on full, cleansing breaths, deep breathing is a simple, yet powerful, relaxation technique. It’s easy to learn, can be practiced almost anywhere, and provides a quick way to get your stress levels in check. Deep breathing is the cornerstone of many other relaxation practices, too, and can be combined with other relaxing elements such as aromatherapy and music. All you really need is a few minutes and a place to stretch out.
Practicing deep breathing meditation

The key to deep breathing is to breathe deeply from the abdomen, getting as much fresh air as possible in your lungs. When you take deep breaths from the abdomen, rather than shallow breaths from your upper chest, you inhale more oxygen. The more oxygen you get, the less tense, short of breath, and anxious you feel.

Sit comfortably with your back straight. Put one hand on your chest and the other on your stomach.
Breathe in through your nose. The hand on your stomach should rise. The hand on your chest should move very little.
Exhale through your mouth, pushing out as much air as you can while contracting your abdominal muscles. The hand on your stomach should move in as you exhale, but your other hand should move very little.
Continue to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Try to inhale enough so that your lower abdomen rises and falls. Count slowly as you exhale.

If you find it difficult breathing from your abdomen while sitting up, try lying on the floor. Put a small book on your stomach, and try to breathe so that the book rises as you inhale and falls as you exhale.
Relaxation technique 2: Progressive muscle relaxation for stress relief

Progressive muscle relaxation involves a two-step process in which you systematically tense and relax different muscle groups in the body.

With regular practice, progressive muscle relaxation gives you an intimate familiarity with what tension—as well as complete relaxation—feels like in different parts of the body. This awareness helps you spot and counteract the first signs of the muscular tension that accompanies stress. And as your body relaxes, so will your mind. You can combine deep breathing with progressive muscle relaxation for an additional level of stress relief.
Practicing progressive muscle relaxation

Before practicing Progressive Muscle Relaxation, consult with your doctor if you have a history of muscle spasms, back problems, or other serious injuries that may be aggravated by tensing muscles.

Most progressive muscle relaxation practitioners start at the feet and work their way up to the face. For a sequence of muscle groups to follow, see the box below.

Loosen your clothing, take off your shoes, and get comfortable.
Take a few minutes to relax, breathing in and out in slow, deep breaths.
When you’re relaxed and ready to start, shift your attention to your right foot. Take a moment to focus on the way it feels.
Slowly tense the muscles in your right foot, squeezing as tightly as you can. Hold for a count of 10.
Relax your right foot. Focus on the tension flowing away and the way your foot feels as it becomes limp and loose.
Stay in this relaxed state for a moment, breathing deeply and slowly.
When you’re ready, shift your attention to your left foot. Follow the same sequence of muscle tension and release.
Move slowly up through your body, contracting and relaxing the muscle groups as you go.
It may take some practice at first, but try not to tense muscles other than those intended.

Source: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_relief_meditation_yoga_relaxation.htm

Thank you so much for the quick feedback. I will talk to my neurologist and post back!

Hi chimchase, I hope you are feeling better. When your seizures have been well-controlled by meds, and then one happens out of the blue, it's a good idea to look around for any unusual stressors. Fatigue is the #1 seizure trigger -- sounds like that may have been the culprit for you. Another trigger can be infections of any sort, so if you've been sick lately make sure you get treatment. I hope you are able to turn the volume down on your stress, and catch up on your sleep.

Best,
Nakamova

Hello,
I'm on the same dosage as you, but if I don't get 8 hours of sleep and maintain my stress I have seizures. So basically, yes. Definitely meet with your doctor, and in the meantime rest up. If you're having trouble falling asleep I recommend Melatonin 3-5mg. It's a natural sleep aid. I have to use it every night, and it is very helpful. I've found anything stronger leaves me foggy and exhausted.
Good luck!

Glad you made it safe. I know for me personally, lack of sleep can be a big trigger. The last seizure I had was a couple of months ago. I had it on a friday and in the 4 days previous I hadnt had more than 5 hours of sleep a night and as little as 3 some nights. From what I have been told, finding a way to get enough rest is a big deal for epileptics. Thats one that can be a struggle for me but you just have to try and force yourself to do it. Hope that helps in some way.

Stress and sleep deprivation is one of the main triggers for controlled seizures.
I was a firefighter/paramedic until last September when I had a breakthrough seizure. This was caused by lack of sleep and my work schedule. I have not been to work since. Dont know if I will get to go back. One thing that has worked for me is taking my meds at the same time every day. Another is getting to bed at a set time at night. I still feel tired when I wake up but have not had a seizure in three months. Meds seem to work. Stress is the same.

Stress and sleep deprivation is one of the main triggers for controlled seizures.
One thing that has worked for me is taking my meds at the same time every day. Another is getting to bed at a set time at night. I still feel tired when I wake up but have not had a seizure in three months. Meds seem to work. Stress is the same.

:agree:

Same goes for me also.

I find stress and lack of sleep the biggest trigger for me.

I'd concentrate on this more than a change in meds. Though obviously your G.P. and neurologist should be consulted. The person who recommended relaxation/meditation is talking real sense.

Stress and lack of sleep are my main triggers too. My doc put me on xanax for my anxiety, which also helps me sleep if I take one at bedtime.

Like many others on here, stress and sleep deprivation trigger my petite mal seizures. Usually being startled does as well. I try to drink a cup of chamomile tea before I go to bed and that usually helps, but definitely try to get as much sleep as possible. I only get 6-7 hours and I have a stressful job, so it's hard to find a balance for me. But I hope you can find some solution to your problem

The doctors tried to tell me a few years back that stress does not cause seizures, but it absolutely does! I don't have seizures myself but my daughter and husband do. Every time there is a major event that packs on more stress than needed (long shopping day w/ relatives) she will have one. My husband is bi-polar as well so he really has to control his stress level to cope with his seizures. I agree w/ everyone about sleep and trying to relax more! Jemsister posted a breathing technique, I do this w/ my daughter and I can really tell a difference afterwards.

Your doctor is definitely wrong! My neurologist has told me that stress can increase the risk of a seizure. I may have said this already, but I have a stressful job, and I have noticed an increase in seizure activity. Thankfully I do not have grand mal or else I would be quitting my job, but it's scary when you know that stress will increase that risk and you deal with it on a daily basis. Sleep is very important and I would stress that to anyone who has a hard time relaxing. I've talked to a therapist and the breathing techniques you describe are absolutely helpful :) I would encourage anyone with epilepsy to try this if you are correlating stress with your seizures.

Back
Top Bottom