Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

joan

Stalwart
Reaction score
I thought us lil information junkies would find this interesting .. Things that make you go...crazy!!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009; 12:00 AM

MONDAY, Jan. 26 (HealthDay News) -- Almost half of tested samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) contained mercury, which was also found in nearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products where HFCS is the first- or second-highest labeled ingredient, according to two new U.S. studies.

HFCS has replaced sugar as the sweetener in many beverages and foods such as breads, cereals, breakfast bars, lunch meats, yogurts, soups and condiments. On average, Americans consume about 12 teaspoons per day of HFCS, but teens and other high consumers can take in 80 percent more HFCS than average.

"Mercury is toxic in all its forms. Given how much high-fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the [U.S. Food and Drug Administration] to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply," the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy's Dr. David Wallinga, a co-author of both studies, said in a prepared statement.

link to complete article*

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/26/AR2009012601831.html

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I am gonna have to make myself look silly here - but what is corn syrup?? I have never heard of this in the UK, could I possibly know it as something else?

Ahhhhhh We have Tate and Lyle golden syrup which we all know as treacle, it sounds similar. Is it thick, sticky and sweeet??? coz if so, thats the stuff.

Oh, wow! Thanks for sharing this Joan! I haven't seen this yet. It's surprising, but yet it shouldn't be. I've known that corn syrup is horrible...but mercury...WOW :eek:

I was shocked as well. And we wonder why some say we are poisoning ourselves.. sheshh... More reason than ever to eat fresh and home cooked*

joan*

I read to day that it is no longer in it. I will have to research this more.
This isn't a product that we all would buy, in a bottle, by itself, but more an ingredient.
It is in Snapple and a lot of other drinks. It is in syrups, and some salad dressings.

I thought us lil information junkies would find this interesting .. Things that make you go...crazy!!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009; 12:00 AM

MONDAY, Jan. 26 (HealthDay News) -- Almost half of tested samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) contained mercury, which was also found in nearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products where HFCS is the first- or second-highest labeled ingredient, according to two new U.S. studies.

HFCS has replaced sugar as the sweetener in many beverages and foods such as breads, cereals, breakfast bars, lunch meats, yogurts, soups and condiments. On average, Americans consume about 12 teaspoons per day of HFCS, but teens and other high consumers can take in 80 percent more HFCS than average.

"Mercury is toxic in all its forms. Given how much high-fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the [U.S. Food and Drug Administration] to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply," the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy's Dr. David Wallinga, a co-author of both studies, said in a prepared statement.

link to complete article*

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/26/AR2009012601831.html

I saw that on the news too! Here's an earlier one on mercury exposure and the nervous system;
Prenatal exposure to mercury can impair child's brain functionFeb 10, 2004 ... and known to produce adverse nervous system effects, especially during. ... "We found that both prenatal and postnatal mercury exposure ...
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/5803.php

I read to day that it is no longer in it. I will have to research this more.
This isn't a product that we all would buy, in a bottle, by itself, but more an ingredient.
It is in Snapple and a lot of other drinks. It is in syrups, and some salad dressings.

We used to buy corn syrup in the bottle as our main sweetner because it was cheap.

Oh, wow! Thanks for sharing this Joan! I haven't seen this yet. It's surprising, but yet it shouldn't be. I've known that corn syrup is horrible...but mercury...WOW :eek:

I just checked out your blog, very nice! This link is to my articles at Suite 101 I started writing for them last week. Any comments or suggestions for articles you'd like to see will be welcomed.
:)
http://www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/zoe_l

Last edited:
HFCS is in a lot of processed food products on the supermarket shelves. It's in ketchup, spaghetti sauce, fruit "juice" drinks, carbonated beverages, candy, etc. It's a cheap replacement for sugar, at the expense of the health of those who blindly consume it.

Originally Posted by Zoe View Post:
This link is to my articles at Suite 101 I started writing for them last week. Any comments or suggestions for articles you'd like to see will be welcomed.
:)
http://www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/zoe_l

Great articles, Zoe! Thanks for sharing this link :)

I just searched this and the info that denied it was certainly funded by the HFCS folks.

Here is Web MD:
Jan. 27, 2009 -- Some foods and drinks rich in high-fructose corn syrup may contain detectable levels of mercury, a new report shows.

The report, published on the web site of the Minneapolis-based nonprofit Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP), shows detectable levels of mercury in 17 out of 55 tested products rich in high-fructose corn syrup.

But the researchers aren't telling people to avoid those products or other items containing high-fructose corn syrup, and they aren't sure what form of mercury those products contained.

The Corn Refiners Association stands by high-fructose corn syrup, calling it "safe."
Mercury and High-Fructose Corn Syrup

The new report comes from researchers including David Wallinga, MD, director of the IATP's food and health program. They bought 55 products that list high-fructose corn syrup first or second on their list of ingredients, which means high-fructose corn syrup was a leading ingredient in those products.

Wallinga's team sent samples of those products to a commercial lab, which checked the levels of total mercury in each sample.

"Overall, we found detectable mercury in 17 of 55 samples, or around 31%," write Wallinga and colleagues.

Here is the list of those products:

* Quaker Oatmeal to Go bars
* Jack Daniel's Barbecue Sauce
* Hershey's Chocolate Syrup
* Kraft Original Barbecue Sauce
* Nutri-Grain Strawberry Cereal Bars
* Manwich Gold Sloppy Joe
* Market Pantry Grape Jelly
* Smucker's Strawberry Jelly
* Pop-Tarts Frosted Blueberry
* Hunt's Tomato Ketchup
* Wish-Bone Western Sweet & Smooth Dressing
* Coca-Cola Classic: no mercury found on a second test
* Yoplait Strawberry Yogurt
* Minute Maid Berry Punch
* Yoo-hoo Chocolate Drink
* Nesquik Chocolate Milk
* Kemps Fat Free Chocolate Milk

Wallinga and colleagues caution that their list was "just a snapshot in time; we only tested one sample of each product. That clearly is not sufficient grounds to give definitive advice to consumers."

Mercury exposure at high levels can harm the brain, heart, kidneys, lungs, and immune system. A form of mercury called methylmercury is particularly risky to a baby's developing brain and nervous system, according to background information from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Wallinga points out that the lab only tested for total mercury levels, not methylmercury or other types of mercury. He also notes that the EPA has a "reference dose," or upper limit, for methylmercury intake but not for other forms of mercury.

Where Did the Mercury Come From?

Wallinga's report doesn't prove that the mercury in the tested products came from high-fructose corn syrup, but "I'm hard pressed to say where else it would come from," Wallinga tells WebMD.

Wallinga explains that mercury can be used to make caustic soda, which is one of the products used to make high-fructose corn syrup. That's outdated technology; mercury isn't needed to make caustic soda, notes Audrae Erickson, president of the Corn Refiners Association, in a statement emailed to WebMD.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20090127/mercury-in-high-fructose-corn-syrup

This is different than bottled corn-syrup I believe. Need to look more into that.

I am sick to my stomach, as Rebecca is high in mercury, and we allowed her to drink a lot of juices that were not 100% juice. They do have HFCS, and I was not very wise then.

I am sick to my stomach, as Rebecca is high in mercury, and we allowed her to drink a lot of juices that were not 100% juice. They do have HFCS, and I was not very wise then.

Don't be too hard on yourself. There are so many things I would have done differently if I had only known then what I know now. HFCS is just one of the things I would have avoided. What's important is that you are doing everything you can to increase your knowledge and help Rebecca from this point forward. That's all any of us can do...learn from studies such as these and strive to make better choices in the future :scholar:

:flowers:

I am considering removal of the mercury, and it is a daunting task. Not much support in the community or family for that matter, and I do not like secrets.
From all my knowledge it needs to be removed so inflammation can be healed.

I appreciate your support.

Please dont feel bad. Thats one reason why we are all here to share what works, and what info we have so together we can make it easier for us all.

I was shocked as well. One reason I knew this important to pass. Im starting to think, anything outside its natural form, turns bad. So for us, we just move closer and closer to natural organic foods, cooked at home.

Ive had a week from heck and it doesnt seem to be letting up anytime soon. I will do better research on this and a few other things that have perked me this last week.

I hope everyone having a good week
joan*

No reason to feel bad, Robin, you were acting on the best available advice at the time, likely the advertising for vitamin C and a "healthy" energy boost. As a wise friend once told me, "We don't make mistakes, we make decisions. If one decision isn't working out, we make another. "
You are always learning and modifying your actions in line with what you learn. Give yourself more credit. :clap:

The truth is, unless we were looking for it, we wouldnt have found it either. Lets face it, till it darkens your doorway, it kinda easy to ignore alot of stuff. BUT the good news is obviously were not the only ones interested : ) Seems alot of different folks from different walks of medicine putting together food and health. SO we have help lol Now we just have to be diligent in making others aware how important it is.
Now, this really shouldnt be too hard. To become familiar with all the misc names for corn syrup and eliminate it. Im thinking theres no mercury in our organic veggies but Ill check a lil closer to be sure.

See, I told you getting our PhDs cant be as hard *
joan*

As most of you who know me will remember, I am vehemently opposed to the mercury that is used in vaccinations. My grandaughter is my source of personal experience with this issue.

However, reports like these always make me feel uncomfortable. Only one sample of each product tested, no data on the levels found reported, no link to the source ingredient, etc ...

Mercury exists in the natural world all around us. It is a basic chemical element and the type of mercury found is very relevant. I followed some links from the report and found that volcanoes are a common source of mercury in the atmosphere. Watch out Alaska, you have one rumbling.

Please don't think I am supporting the corn processors or something like that. It is just that press releases like these undermine the well documented studies that don't get all of the hype. This mercury could just as easily have been in the soil. That is where most of the anthrax in the world can be found. Radioactive Argon gas also exists naturally in the ground and we still don't know what that is doing to us in well insulated, unventilated homes.

I guess I am saying that I just don't trust all of these reports. I still fully support your wishes to control the foods you eat.

Out of the six studies on the Corn Refiners Association’s Web site that “Confirm High Fructose Corn Syrup [is] No Different From Sugar,” three were sponsored by groups that stand to profit from research that promotes HFCS. Two were never published, so their funding sources are unclear. And one was sponsored by a Dutch foundation that represents the interests of the sugar industry.

Pepsi funded one study. So did a D.C. based lobbying group that gets their money from food, chemical and drug companies. And the American Beverage Association gave a grant for another.

CBS News 10/1/08
To imply that artificial products containing corn syrup are in any way OK for your health is beyond a stretch. So let’s set the record straight. If anyone asks YOU why corn syrup is unhealthy, you can tell them:

• HFCS is metabolized to fat in your body far more rapidly than any other sugar, and, because most fructose is consumed in liquid form (soda), its negative metabolic effects are significantly magnified.

• Recent research, reported at the 2007 national meeting of the American Chemical Society, found new evidence that soft drinks sweetened with HFCS may contribute to the development of diabetes because it contains high levels of reactive compounds that have been shown to trigger cell and tissue damage that cause diabetes.

• HFCS is almost always made from genetically modified corn, which is fraught with its own well documented side effects and health concerns, such as increasing your risk of developing a food allergy to corn.

You can also let anyone who believes corn syrup is safe to eat know that there are over 35 years of hard empirical evidence that refined man-made fructose like HFCS metabolizes to triglycerides and adipose tissue, not blood glucose. The downside of this is that fructose does not stimulate your insulin secretion, nor enhance leptin production. (Leptin is a hormone thought to be involved in appetite regulation.)

Because insulin and leptin act as key signals in regulating how much food you eat, as well as your body weight, this suggests that dietary fructose may contribute to increased food intake and weight gain.

Additionally, fructose is also known to significantly raise your triglycerides and LDL (bad cholesterol). Triglycerides, the chemical form of fat found in foods and in your body, are not something you want in excess amounts.

Intense research over the past 40 years has confirmed that elevated blood levels of triglycerides, known as hypertriglyceridemia, puts you at an increased risk of heart disease.
Mercola.com

Back
Top Bottom