sudden increase in seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momto2

New
Reaction score
Is it typical to have a sudden increase in seizures? My son, 20 months old, had gone 9 weeks without a seizure, then had one. Then went nearly 10 weeks without one and two weeks ago had one. His doctor increased his keppra from 2.5ml twice a day to 3.5ml twice a day.

Yesterday he had two seizures (around 1pm and 7pm) and this morning he had another at 9am. His neurologist is out of the office for a week so I sent a message to his pedi, but thought I post here for any first hand experience. I noticed he's had restless sleep at night recently. tossing and turning a lot. Maybe due to the increase of med?

Any thoughts on this are welcome.

Hi momto2,

It is normal to have more seizures and then go back to less or no seizures for awhile.

That is why the doctor increased the medicine. That should lessen the seizures.

His sleep at night, might not have anything to do with his epilepsy.

Thanks, Ruth. That's what I'm concerned about. The dose was increased 2 weeks ago then the seizures came yesterday. Maybe it wasn't enough of an increase?

Did the seizures come after 2 weeks of the increase? Were the seizures yesterday lessened?

I am on Keppra as well. Is your son taking Vitamin B Complex? Keppra depletes Vitamin B. Keppra works better on seizures with Vitamin B. It works on my seizures.

Sorry to hear re the increase in seizures. My 32 month old often has an increase in seizures before he gets sick, it's almost like an indication for us he is becoming unwell. His condition gradually gets worse and we see more seizures and his unusual behaviour. Sometimes this can go on for a week or so before he actually becomes unwell with the virus/etc
Hopefully the seizures stop again soon.
donna

My son old 6 yrs 6 months had 5 times fits along with high fever.
we undergone for EEG and the result is UNEQUIVOCAL EVIDENCE OF SEIZURE ACTIVITY.
now iam giving valparin 7.5 ml mor & night for the past 6 months.
Now we have taken him blood test for checking of valparin level.
It was 98 mg and the maximum is 100 mg and minimum is 50 mg.
Doctor ask me to give 7.5ml in morning and 7.5ml in evening so total 15ml per day for 4 months.
If he take 15ml for 4 months , will the valparin level reaches 100 mg and above?
If so will it be safe , then why doctor advised me the give 15ml per day?

my kid's first 3 seizures were each almost exactly 28 days apart. after the 3rd one, they decided that she was definitely having seizures and put her on the generic keppra.

her 4th one was 20 days after the previous one and was followed by 3 more in the following 2 days.

the next one was another 20ish days later, with another one the same day and another one 4 days later.

now two weeks later she's had another two on two consecutive days.

I dunno if it's normal but I guess for us they are getting more frequent despite the increases in medication following each one. not exactly the results I was hoping for with the medication , but the neurologist wants to stick with it for a little longer.

Back
Top Bottom