Surgery effects

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Itr786

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had right temporal lobectomy surgery done in March. It's all gone well (so far!), not had a seizure since..

In the past week, I've had a few issues with work colleagues after arecent incident, I COMPLETELY blew this incident out of proportion, it built up in my head, festering over and over. It got the later in the day, and the tears began. I literally sobbed like I was a 2 year old baby, just uncontrollably, profusely sweating, my whole body shaking like I used to during having a seizure!?.

After speaking to a few fiends, it became obviously it was some sort of anxiety attack that I had.

Just wondered if this was something that anyone else has experienced?

The one positive I took for the horribly incident is that it never broke out into a seizure, which this experience would have been a sure fire thing pre-op...

Any advice? I've no idea who to turn to, I don't have an appointment with my hospital consultant anytime soon, I suspect my GP wouldn't be too much assistance, other than begin a course of treatments other people with anxiety may suffer, BUT I'm in a precarious position of still recovering from major brain surgery, top that off with still taking a number of anti epileptic medications etc etc....

It's probably not a simple answer to this problem, but anyone in a similar position, or has been been in the past?

What you describe could be hormone-related (if you're female). Your symptoms sound EXACTLY like what my sister is experiencing as she goes through menopause.

Whatever the cause, if you don't have the resources to seek therapy, and don't want to add any more medications to the mix, here are some recommendations for self-care:

1. Make sure you are getting good quality sleep.

2. Build in some daily "stress breaks", one at mid-morning, one in the mid-afternoon. These don't have to be anything fancy, just 5-minute time-outs where you close your eyes and focus on your breathing and relaxation. Just knowing that the breaks are coming up can help your brain and body avoid building up stress and anxiety.

3. Jot down a few notes about your anxiety and/or talk to a friend before things spiral out of control. Otherwise the "stinking thinking" stays trapped inside your head. Let it out and let it go!

Oh that sounds awful and I can hardly believe that your GP would not want to know of this episode and offer advice, or at least refer you to an epilepsy nurse to talk to. Don't you have epilepsy societies where you are that you can talk to if you have concerns in between neuro consults? Even just a phone chat could give you at least some reassurance.

Hi ITR786,

I also had right temporal lobe surgery and my surgeon told me that my personality could change from the surgery but the only thing I noticed was I had more of a sense of humor. What could be going on is the nerves are still healing and the area where you had surgery was where a persons emotions are located according to my surgeon. It will take up to a yr. to heal and what I did was use cold water therapy take a cold wash cloth and put it on your face and the back of your neck and this will calm the nerves down. It worked great for me. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Just wondered if this was something that anyone else has experienced?

The one positive I took for the horribly incident is that it never broke out into a seizure, which this experience would have been a sure fire thing pre-op...

Any advice? I've no idea who to turn to, I don't have an appointment with my hospital consultant anytime soon, I suspect my GP wouldn't be too much assistance, other than begin a course of treatments other people with anxiety may suffer, BUT I'm in a precarious position of still recovering from major brain surgery, top that off with still taking a number of anti epileptic medications etc etc....

It's probably not a simple answer to this problem, but anyone in a similar position, or has been been in the past?

I had a Left temporal lobectomy years ago, and 6 months later, started going downhill emotionally and hormonally. My neurosurgeon sent me to a neuropsychiatrist who specialized in this sort of thing..... messing with one's brain can mess up one's hormones, too.

What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another...........

I had laser ablation surgery on my left temporal lobe in 2015. I felt like my personality changed for awhile. I cried a lot for no reason. Before surgery, I rarely cried. I also felt like I had severe anxiety disorder and was bipolar. But, eventually my brain healed. The first year after surgery was tough. Hang in there. You should be able to call and talk to your neurologist's or neurosurgeon's nurse. Some people take anti-anxiety meds, but you would have to be careful with that b/c they are addictive. I just sweat it out. I didn't take any anti-anxiety meds. I was freaking out for awhile, but eventually my brain healed. I did self-talk to calm myself down. My emotions were so intense and powerful after surgery. I tried to stay relaxed and calm.

Last edited:
I'm having quite afew struggles in life, and not really sure there's a solution for them.
To put it bluntly, I'm not not all that bright anymore, I'd go as far to say I feel 'dumb', especially in my working environment where basic tasks take me SO much longer than an 'average' person. I can now see the frustrations on people's faces around me, and how that 'understanding' there was for a short time when i went back to work is iver, but unfortunately the same struggles I had remain, and I'm not sure if/when they'll end.

I'm having quite afew struggles in life, and not really sure there's a solution for them.
To put it bluntly, I'm not not all that bright anymore, I'd go as far to say I feel 'dumb', especially in my working environment where basic tasks take me SO much longer than an 'average' person. I can now see the frustrations on people's faces around me, and how that 'understanding' there was for a short time when i went back to work is iver, but unfortunately the same struggles I had remain, and I'm not sure if/when they'll end.
ITR you're not dumb

I find sometimes things may take me longer to do then other people but I put that down to the epilepsy in general & the fact that I like to double/ triple check every thing before I finalise it so I dont make mistakes.

It can frustrate people that I'm not fast but I'd rather take my time & do it properly then do it fast and stuff up & I always get the work done. Especially when I have off days.

Luckily where I am now it isnt a busy office, just stressful lol.

Back
Top Bottom