Surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

strike

New
Reaction score
Hi I'm just wondering about surgery. I've read that it's very effective for some form of epilepsy. I live in toronto Canada, and it seems to me that surgery only an option if your seizure is very serious. Is this fair? Even if the seizure is relatively minor but growing, shouldn't doctor still operate it? I'm doing EEG soon to confirm my seizure diagnosis. Not sure if eeg can help to find out if I'm a surgery candidate. Even if I am, I doubt my neurologist would sign me up for surgery. He'd just give me pills. I would choose to take surgery if I have that option. What do you guys think? Thanks

I have left temporal lobe epilepsy--it was complex seizures only and now with meds it is simple partials and mostly just auras.My doc at clevclinic is big on surgery espec for temporal lobe epilepsy and I have never had a granmal been pushing for it for 3 yrs now since my dx

I have TLE and have had SP+CP seizures through the years, very seldom any TC seizures. I had a left temporal lobectomy and was seizure-free for 14 months. Then, I had a big time TC seizure, along with CP seizures and tried 10 different meds, to no avail. I finally had the VNS + meds, and still have a CP seizure once in a while. So it doesn't work for all and there are precautions to beware of like memory loss, aphasia, depression, just to name a few.

Back
Top Bottom