Talking strange

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello all has anybody ever had an episode where they lose the way to speak

I have been diagnosed with complex partial epilepsy since age of ten.

Im not in a seizure but am constantly unable to speak properly been like this since sun 29 july at 5pm. Its now tuesday 31july

It happened on the 27 july for two hours between 10 pm and 12am but returned however-it occured again and showing no sign of going,

Its not the usual slurred speech i have with my usual fit but sounds almost like i have a lisp
As was the second time this happened i went to hospital but all bloods and a ct scan were clear

Im still not happy and wonder if as i got told by a dr its a fit-if so what type coz he didnt know. Am i making a fuss over nothing or am i right to still be concerned

Hi Fluffy
Is it possible that you can be having a simple partial or aura?

My speech is sometimes affected when I have seizures, more that I forget what I'm saying or might say the wrong words. It also happens when I'm really stressed.

dislogia, switching words when you talk
disgraphia, switching symbols or sounds when you write or speak.
aphasia, going silent

can all be side effects of different meds, diet, different chem balances in your system
and lastly stress. luckily and unfortunately there are post about all of them with people suffering from all of them on the forum so you are never alone and resources are within reach. hopefully the answer you need can be found quickly and safely.

Last edited:
Hi, You may want to contact your neurologist and/or schedule an appointment with a speech language pathologist (who will probably want you to talk to your neuro first). Hope that helps!

Hi Fluffy
Is it possible that you can be having a simple partial or aura?

My speech is sometimes affected when I have seizures, more that I forget what I'm saying or might say the wrong words. It also happens when I'm really stressed.

I have no idea because I have never encountered this before Friday. happened for first time on Friday night lasted for two hours

then Sunday evening 5pm till Tuesday over 48 hours is that normal

its not for my fits which max 5mins usually 2-3

the way I was talking was like someone who had a very bad lisp:e:

I will be contacting the neurologist again but have to wait for the hospital to do the same

aphasia, going silent

can all be side effects of different meds, diet, different chem balances in your system
and lastly stress. luckily and unfortunately there are post about all of them with people suffering from all of them on the forum so you are never alone and resources are within reach. hopefully the answer you need can be found quickly and safely.

I haven't changed my meds at all nor had no difference in lifestyle but I couldn't type straight either friends showed me how I was typing and it was not normal. ty for being here I appreciate the support :e:

aphasia, going silent

I hope you and the hospital can get in touch with your neurologist ASAP and get things figured out. Sorry you are going through this.

We'll leave it up to the doctors of course, but I think this sounds more similar to dysarthria than to the above-mentioned issues.

https://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/dysarthria/:

"If you have trouble speaking, you should see a doctor right away. It is important to find out why and make sure it does not get worse."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom