Tegretol dosage

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Just curious what kinds of doses of tegretol other folks are taking or have in the past. It has greatly decreased my seizures fr an average of one every three days to a LOT of auras and seizures every 20 days or so? I am currently in 400 mg 2x a day and increasing to 600mg 2x a day. Depakote was a nightmare for me and Topamax turned me into a terrible zombie. I also take 1 mg klonopin 2x a day. Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I've been on Tegretol since 2002 but the neurologists are currently slowly taking me of it.
I was on 400mg Tegretol twice a day but when I saw the Neurologist in March he halved the Tegretol dosage to 200mg twice a day. I go back to the Neurologist in September so I'm thinking he will reduce the Tegretol more at our next appt.

Last edited:
You guys are taking it twice a day? Wow, 19 yrs ago, oh my gosh I sound so old, I was taking 250 mg three times a day. No wonder I was so groggy, slept a lot, and did poor in school. That's just how my body responded to it. But if Tegretol is working for you and not causing any bad side effects then maybe 3 times a day might help you.

When I was taking Carbartrol ER, another form of Tegretol, I was taking 600mgs twice a day, totaling 1200mgs daily, along with Keppra XR at 3000mgs a day.

It was what the hospital neuro chose for me based on my history with Lamictal (although I wish she'd put me on Lamictal, I might have stayed on it!) and I worked up to all of 300 mgs. I took it three times a day, so weaning was nice and easy.

You guys are taking it twice a day? Wow, 19 yrs ago, oh my gosh I sound so old, I was taking 250 mg three times a day. No wonder I was so groggy, slept a lot, and did poor in school. That's just how my body responded to it. But if Tegretol is working for you and not causing any bad side effects then maybe 3 times a day might help you.

I also took it three times a day. I was always sleepy, felt stupid, and then my teeth started coming loose. That was it, I wasn't taking it anymore after that.

I believe if you get to a point where you need it more than 2x a day they switch to Tegretol XR. I have all those symptoms the first week or so of dosage increase in the past. I also tried a generic version and got a TON more side effects. Name brand is more expensive but easier.

Hearing from someone with your experience is nice. I am a year in and still feel like my diagnosis has bounced all over. I am scared and learning for sure.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I've worked my way up to 600mg twice a day so I'm at where you're headed. I was bumped up to that from 400mg twice a day when I was pregnant with my youngest and had a seizure mid-pregnancy. I've been on 1200mg a day for 2 years now and things were pretty well under control until a couple of weeks ago. I usually only have a couple of seizures a year, and usually I can attribute them to something like stress, lack of sleep, missed doses etc but my last seizure had no apparent cause so I'm seeing my neuro next week because Tegretol may not be working for me any longer :(
Hope that helps :)
Tracy.

I take Tegretol 800mg at night with Clonazepam 3xdaily and 4mg at night, but I'm coming off of the clonazepam and going onto Pregbalian 300-600mg
:)

My GP told me I could take my 1200mg either as 600mg twice a day or 400mg three times a day. I said yeah twice is fine thanks!!

I also took it three times a day. I was always sleepy, felt stupid, and then my teeth started coming loose. That was it, I wasn't taking it anymore after that.

My husband doesn't believe that my Tegretol causes my teeth to rot! I wish it was better understood!

It's considered a "rare" (or poorly studied) side effect, but Tegretol can cause gum overgrowth, which can over time cause periodontal problems and loose teeth. Short of switching off of Tegretol, there's not much you can do other than be extra-vigilant about brushing and dental visits.

I had the problem when I was on Dilantin, and ended up changing meds.

i currently take 1400mgs a day, 600mg in the morning and 800mg at night

My husband doesn't believe that my Tegretol causes my teeth to rot! I wish it was better understood!

I was only on it for about 8 weeks. After 6 weeks I thought they felt loose, after 8 weeks I KNEW they were and asked to start coming off if it.

I'm on 600mg Tegretol as well as 3000mg Keppra. I take 200mg in the morning and 400mg at night.

My neurologist is pushing me to go up in dose as it does help with my seizures, but i've not done it so far because i can't deal with the side effects.

I take 800mg off Tegratol and 2000mg off Epilim both doses split morning and night,and both medications are slow release.

im on 800mg tegretol just came off 200mg of it .... hoping to come right off it was on it 6 years and it just made me like a zombie and lots of auras!

Back
Top Bottom