[Neutral] The Take Charge Patient.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
This book will be released on April 15 2012 so I cannot review it but it looked like something a lot of people here might have a use for. The authors ad says
Frustrated or confused about how to get good medical care? In her newest book, award-winning author Martine Ehrenclou, M.A., empowers patients to become proactive, assertive, well-informed participants in their own health care. With advice and personal stories from over 200 doctors, nurses, pharmacists, other medical professionals and patients, The Take-Charge Patient reveals insider information on how to cut through the red tape and navigate today’s complex health care system with confidence.

The Take-Charge Patient outlines strategies to enable patients to take charge of what they can. You will learn how to:
Become your own advocate
Choose the best doctor you
Prepare for your medical appointment
Create a patient’s toolkit
How to collaborate and communicate effectively with doctors
Prevent medical errors and medication mistakes
Manage health insurance
Obtain discounted medication and medical care

Amazon product

I also found a site where the author (Martine Ehrenclou) quotes a pretty big chunk of the book

Communicate and strengthen your relationship with your doctor

Last edited by a moderator:
This site contains affiliate links for which Coping With Epilepsy Forums may be compensated.
I wonder if it says that if you follow these steps you will end up looking like a pushy, drug seeking faker. because thats what I feel i have been accused up for advocating for myself and researching between neuro visits. Now look where I am

Rae, I sometimes wonder that as well I feel you....I try not to change my meds unless I have to....but you have had so many issues with your meds in the last year with allergies and other problems with interactions and them just not keeping your seizures under control....There is a point where you have to say to the doctors this is what is what I have tried this is what has not worked this is what has worked (if it has) what can we try next to see if it works? Eventully there will be an answer somewhere.

Tina

Yeah. I just find that because I do not want to sit there and take advice and medical support that I dont understand, and therefore research, that I just get put in the wrong light.

Back
Top Bottom