This Day in Country Music

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Heather

New
Reaction score
Birthdays:-
1905 Harty Taylor of WLS radio duo Karl & Harty born in Mt Vernon, Kentucky
1905 Paul "Hezzie" Trietsch born in Arcadia, Indiana - Hoosier Hot Shots
1913 Millie Good born Mildred Fern Goad in Mt Carmel, Illinois - Girls Of The Golden West - Millie and sister Dolly made their radio debut in St. Louis around 1930
1925 George Shuffler born in Statesville, North Carolina - Played lead guitar for 18 years with Ralph Stanleys Clinch Mountain Boys - Guitarist with the Stanley Brothers - Released an album with fellow North Carolina native, banjo player Laura Boosinger "Mountain Treasure"
1957 Jim Lauderdale born
1964 Steve Azar born in Greenville, Mississippi - Singer/songwriter/guitarist - Reached #2 in 2001 "I Don't Have To Be Me ('Til Monday)"
1969 Chalee Tennison born in Freeport, Texas

Died:-
1968 Ethel Park Richardson died age 84 - Singer/autoharp player/radio personality
1977 Eddie Miller died age 83 - Songwriter
1980 Cousin Emmy died (Cynthia May Carver) age 77 died in Sherman Oaks, California - Began her career playing five-string banjo with her cousins, Bozo and Warner Carver on WHB in Kansas City, Missouri - in 1935, she was a featured act with Frankie More's Log Cabin Boys on WHAS Louisville, Kentucky - Part of WWVA Jamboee in 1937 and a sponsored act on KMOX St Louis in 1941 - Worked at Disneyland, California in the 1960's - Her Decca recordings include "Ruby", "Pretty Little Miss In The Garden", "I Wish I Was In Bowling Green", "I Wish I Was A Single Girl Again" & "Free Little Bird" Born Cynthia May Carver 14 March 1911
2005 Jerry Byrd died in Honolulu, Hawaii

Events:-
1929 KLO-AM Ogden, Utah began broadcasting
1946 *Weekly magazine The Australasian became The Australasian Post - Later versions of the magazine featured Australian country music
1980 Alabama signed with RCA Records
1992 Lee Greenwood married Kimberley Payne, former Miss Tennessee
1994 *Hokonui Gold started broadcasting from Gore, New Zealand - Formerly commercial Radio New Zealand station 4ZG
2002 The International Bluegrass Museum re-opened in Owensboro, Kentucky after 22 months and renovations costing $3 million

Recorded:-
1931 Gene Autry recorded "Pistol Packin Papa" and "Methodist Pie" for ARC
1940 Roy Acuff recorded "(Beneath That) Lonely Pound of Clay" & "The Precious Jewel" for Columbia
1947 Merle Travis recorded "Muscrat" for Capitol
1963 Marty Robbins recorded "The Hawaian Wedding Song" for Columbia

Released:-
1994 *The Harvest Landline Collection album released on ABC Music - Artists that appeared on Landline feature on the CD including Lee Kernaghan, Colin Buchanan, Greg Champion, Gina Jeffreys, Brent Parlane, Warren Derwent, Dead Ringer Band, Shanley Del, Tania Kernaghan, Graeme Connors, Allan Caswell, Jenine Vaughan, Anne Kirkpatrick & Felicity Urquhart
2000 Claire Lynch - "Lovelight" album released
2000 Billy Swan "Like Elvis Used To Do" album released on Koch
2007 *Peter Denahy "Petrol Head Fly" re-released with bonus track by Compass Brothers Records - Originally released in 2005

Charted:-
1953 The Carlisles "Knothole" single charted to #3
1960 Marty Robbins - "Big Iron" charted on Billboard Top 40 to #26
1960 The Browns featuring Jim Edward Brown "The Old Lamplighter" single charted to #20
1964 Kitty Wells "Especially For You" album charted to #19
1964 Gary Buck "The Wheel Song" single charted to #37
1970 Hank Williams Jr. "Greatest Hits album charted to #7
1970 Jack Greene "Lord Is That Me" album charted to #17
1970 Bill Anderson & Jan Howard "If It's All The Same To You" album charted to #22
1981 Johnny Paycheck "Mr Hag Told My Story" album charted to #40
1998 Clint Black "The Shoes You're Wearing" single charted to #1
1998 Suzy Bogguss "Somebody To Love" single charted to #33

That's it! Now you're going good

Heather, Thanks. Where do you get all those facts? You may have other country fans out there. :clap:

1916 Ernie Lee born Ernest Eli Cornelison in Berea, Kentucky - The Kentucky Balladeer
1925 Ned Miller born in Raines, Utah
1936 Judy Lynn born Judy Lynn Voiten in Boise, Idaho - Retired from singing in 1980 to become an ordained minister
1964 Deryl Dodd born in Dallas, Texas -Singer/songwriter/musician
1966 *Tracy Coster born Tracy Leann Coster in Winton, Queensland - Country singing daughter of Australian Bush Ballad songwriting legend Stan Coster - Joined Stan's Blue Gum Band at age 13, playing bass
---- *Sonia Kildey
---- Chris Sutherland born in Brandon, Manitoba, Canada, hometown is Winnipeg - Drummer, vocalist with Canadian band Doc Walker

1991 Jimmie Revard died age 81 - The Oklahoma Playboys
1998 James B Conkling died age 83 in Sacramento, California from Alzheimer's Disease - Music industry veteran who helped launch Warner Brothers Records and the National Academy Of Recording Arts & Sciences
1999 Boxcar Willie age 67
2000 James Charles "Bud" Wingard, writer for TV show "Hee Haw," died age 67 in Santa Fe, New Mexico

1924 WLS Radio in Chicago, home of The National Barndance, began broadcasting
1944 Hank Williams signed first exclusive songwriter's agreement with Acuff & Rose
1972 Fan Fair debuted in Nashville to the 15th
1980 Vince Gill & Janis Oliver married
1994 Country Weekly magazine first issue went on sale
1997 Travis Tritt married Theresa in his home near Atlanta
2000 Paul Deakin Mavericks drummer undergoes open-heart valve replacement surgery - The procedure repairs a faulty valve caused by a birth defect

1936 *Tex Morton recorded "My Blue Ridge Mountain Home", "Weeping Willow Tree", "When It's Nightime in Nevada", "Red River Valley"
1956 Ernest Tubb recorded "Jimmie Rodgers' Last Blue Yodel (The Women Make a Fool Out of Me)" for Decca
1984 Johnny Cash recorded the single "Chicken In Black"

1969 Hank Williams Jr. "Songs My Father Left Me" album charted to #1
1969 John Wesley Ryles "Kay" album charted to #22
1969 Cal Smith "Faded Love And Winter Roses" album charted to #23
1969 Johnny Bush "You Give Me A Mountain" album charted to #29
1969 The Buckaroos "Anywhere U.S.A." album charted to #35
1969 Jim Ed Brown "Remember Me" album charted to #37
1969 Jerry Lee Lewis "All Country" album charted to #39
1973 *Tex Morton "Goondiwindi Grey" single debuted at #39 peaking at #3
1975 Jerry Lee Lewis "Boogie Woogie Country Man" album charted to #16
1975 Charlie McCoy "Charlie My Boy!" album charted to #36
1980 Moe Bandy & Joe Stampley "Tell Ole I Ain't Here, He Better Get On Home" single charted to #11
1980 Debby Boone "Love Has No Reason" album charted to #17
1980 Bill Anderson "Make Mine Night Time" single charted to #35
1980 Hoyt Axton "Evangeline" single charted to #37
1986 Waylon Jennings "Will The Wolf Survive" album charted to #1
1986 Ronnie Milsap "Lost In The Fifties Tonight" album charted to #1
1986 Ed Bruce "Nights" single charted to #4
1997 Alison Krause "So Long So Wrong" album charted to #4
1997 Tanya Tucker "Complicated" album charted to #15
1997 Big House self titled album charted to #33

Not For Me

I prefer the Rock Trivia. My mom tried to get me to like country and gospel, but I thought it was too whiny.
I liked Hee Haw, until a featured county star came on and sang a song.

Mercy, Shelley! Whiny? Check out "Drivin' a Truck with my High Heels On" and you won't say that is whiny. I'll bet you'll laugh all the way through. I used to drive a truck for years when I was younger...not with high heels, though. I think it may be on you-tube. Let me know what you think.

Country Music? Those two words just shouldn't go together. :roflmao:

Just kidding. Don't care for too much of it myself, but to each their own when it comes to music.

:rock:

Still fun facts to read.

1922 Dale Easton born in U.S. - Performed on WIBW Kansas Roundup - Died 18 July 2000
1923 *Buddy Bishop born in Tinonee near Taree NSW - First Australian to record country comedy in 1950 - First Tamworth artist to record country music - Made first country radio broadcast from 2TM Tamworth in 1945 - Won Australian Amateur Hour in 1949 - Tamworth's first recording artist to have a song on top of the charts in 1950 - Died 3 August 1995
1926 Tommy Crank born in McKee, Kentucky - Bluegrass/gospel
1928 Douglas Bragg born in Gilmer, Texas - Country singer, yodeler, novelty singer and rockabilly - Performed on KRLD Big D Jamboree & KWKH Louisiana Hayride - Recorded for Coral, D, & Dixie labels - Died 13 March 1973
1939 *Col Joye - Born Colin Jacobson in Sydney NSW
1952 Sam Bush born in Bowling Green, Kentucky
1961 Tammy Stephens born in Arlington, Texas - From female vocal group "Girls Next Door" formed in 1982 & disbanded in 1991 - Biggest hit was "Slow Boat To China single in 1986

1981 Guy Willis died age 65
1986 Johnny Dollar died age 53
2003 Zeke Turner died Daytona Beach, Florida - Guitarist who worked with Red Foley & Hank Williams - Pioneered the muted string technique for the guitar - Born Jim Grishaw, 1924

1906 *Narrogin in Western Australia gazetted as a municipality
1936 Milton Brown injured in a single vehicle accident in Texas in which his passenger Katherine Prehoditch died - The Western Swing founder later died from "pneumonia traumatic" in Fort Worth on the 18th April
1964 Roger Miller won 5 Grammys at the Seventh Annual Grammy Award
1984 *Queensland Colonial & Heritage Dancers formed in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
1986 Return To Mayberry The cast of the "Andy Griffith Show" is reunited for a one-time TV special - The show ran from 1960-1968
1969 Charley Pride recorded his First #1 single, "All I Have to Offer You (is Me)" for RCA

1999 Mandy Barnett "I've Got A Right To Cry" album released on Sire

1946 Elton Britt "Blueberry Lane" double sided single charted to #4
1957 Guy Mitchell "Rock-A-Billy" charted on Billboard Top 40 to #10
1958 George Hamilton IV "Why Don't You Understand" single debuted on the Australian Top 40 Chart at #29 peaking at #5
1963 Buck Owens first #1 single, "Act Naturally"
1968 Glen Campbell "I Wanna Live" single charted to #1
1968 Buddy Cagle "Through A Crack In The Boxcar Door" album charted to #37
1974 Hank Snow "Hello Love" album charted to #4
1974 Ray Stevens Top 5 single, "The Streak"
1974 Maria Muldaur "Midnight at the Oasis" charted on Billboard Top 40 to #6
1974 Tammy Wynette "Another Lonely Song" album charted to #8
1974 Hank Williams Jr. "The Last Love Song" album charted to #17
1974 Faron Young "Some Kind Of Woman" album charted to #25
1974 Johnny Carver "Country Lullabye" single charted to #27
1991 George Strait "Chill Of An Early Fall" album charted to #4
1991 Kathy Mattea "Time Passes By" album charted to #9
1996 Bryan White "Between Now And Forever" album charted to #7
1996 Trace Adkins "There's A Girl In Texas" single charted to #20

George Straight

Mercy, Shelley! Whiny? Check out "Drivin' a Truck with my High Heels On" and you won't say that is whiny. I'll bet you'll laugh all the way through. I used to drive a truck for years when I was younger...not with high heels, though. I think it may be on you-tube. Let me know what you think.

Did you ever see that movie? Betcha Elvis could have done better.

1932 D L Menard born in Erath, Louisiana - Singer/songwriter/guitarist
1935 Loretta Lynn born Loretta Webb in Butcher Holler, Kentucky
1945 Panama Red born Danny Finley in Nestlow, West Virginia
1964 Stuart Duncan, fiddler with Nashville Bluegrass Band,
---- *Trev Warner born
---- *Brian Winters born

1977 Vito Pelletieri died age 87 - Stage manager of the Grand Ole Opry
1995 Burl Ives died age 85 in Anacortes, Washington - Folk singer and actor - Songs include "Blue Tail Fly", "A Little Bitty Tear", "Funny Way Of Laughin'" & "Call Me Mr in-Between"
2004 *Stan Arthur - Age 78 died in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Folklorist, singer-songwriter who with others founded the Moreton Bay Bushwhackers Band & lead singer of the long established Brisbane folk band The Wayferers
2004 Jack Toney died Boaz, Alabama - Gospel singer, songwriter - Wrote "I Will Rise Up From My Grave" & "Riding High" Member of The Statesman Quartet, The Song Masters, The Prophets Quartet, The Florida Boys, The Dixie Echos, and Rosie Rozelle & The Searchers - Born 24 August 1933 Sand Mountain near Boaz

1894 Thomas Edison's Kinetoscope first appears in a New York City arcade - The peep-show film machines accommodated only one viewer at a time and showed short films of entertainers like Annie Oakley & Buffalo Bill
1949 Cameron Hill married Becky Barfield He was a guitarist with the Texas Wanderers, Moon Mullican & Bob Wills And His Texas Playboys - Mary Ruth "Becky" is the daughter of Willie Barfield & neice of Johnny Barfield
1956 First Videotape Recorder is demonstrated - The machine, invented by Ray Dolby, Charles Ginsberg & Charles Anderson, recorded both images and sound - CBS purchased three of the video tape recorders for US$75,000 each in 1956
1960 Tommy Duncan rejoined Bob Wills in a recording studio
1978 "Spring Fever" Johnny Cash TV Special aired with guests, Waylon Jennings, Jessi Colter, June Carter & Ray Charles
1990 K T Oslin appeared on the TV series "Paradise"
1997 Country.com the Gaylord Entertainment Company Internet site, was opened to web visitors for online viewing
2003 Bob & Sheila Everhart were honoured by the State Of Iowa Legislature for their perserverance and performance of old time traditional prairie and bluegrass music and honouring the festival they host - They received the honour at their festival in Missouri Valley, Iowa and also inducted into the South Texas Music Hall Of Fame
2004 Dolly Parton received the Living Legend award from the Library Of Congress
1955 Merle Travis recorded "Sleepy Time Gal" for Capitol
1957 Webb Pierce's Top 10 single, "Missing You" & "Bye Bye Love" recorded
1960 Bob Wills & Tommy Duncan reunited in the recording studio after a 12-year separation

1951 Eddy Arnold's #1single, " Kentucky Waltz" charted
1951 Lefty Frizzell's #1 single, " I Want to Be With You Always" charted
1957 Eddy Arnold "Kentucky Waltz" single charted to #1
1962 George Jones's #1 single, " She Thinks I Still Care" charted
1962 Jimmy Dean "P T 109" charted on Billboard Top 40 to #8
1973 Jerry Lee Lewis "The Session" album charted to #4
1973 Bobby Bare "Ride Me Down Easy" single charted to #11
1973 Hank Williams Jr. "After You/Pride's Not Hard To Swallow" album charted to #20
1973 Tony Booth "When A Man Loves A Woman (The Way That I Love You)" album charted to #27
1979 The Oak Ridge Boys "The Oak Ridge Boys Have Arrived" album charted to #5
1979 Rex Allen Jr "Me And My Broken Heart" single charted to #9
1979 Eddy Arnold "What In Her World Did I Do" single charted to #21
1979 Lynn Anderson "Outlaw Is Just A State Of Mind" album charted to #29
1979 Con Hunley self titled album charted to #34
1984 Leon Everette "Doin' What I Feel" album charted to #25 - His biggest hit
1984 Bandera "Better Our Hearts Should Bend (Than Break)" single charted to #26
1990 Steve Wariner "Laredo" album charted to #20
1990 Baillie And The Boys "Perfect" single charted to #23
1990 Robin Lee "Black Velvet" album charted to #23

1900 J. L. "Joe" Frank born in Limestone County, Alabama - First promoter and talent manager in Nashville
1933 Roy Clark born in Meherrin, Virginia
1937 Bob Luman born Bobby Glynn Luman in Nacogdoches, Texas - Died December 27 1978
1938 Lamar Grier born - Banjo player for Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys from September 1965 to June 1967 - Played and recorded with Hazel & Alice, Peter Rowan, Tex Logan and Buzz Busby
1964 *Lee Kernaghan born in Corowa, NSW - First recorded "Outback Club" in 1992

1951 Junior Barnard died in Fresno County General Hospital as a result of a car accident - Highly original guitar player with aggressive hard-swinging style with Bob Wills Texas Playboys
1975 Oscar Davis died age72 - Artist management/promoter
1993 Vallie Cain died age 65 - Bluegrass singer, guitarist with husband Benny Cain
1998 Rose Maddox died in Oregon age 72 - Maddox Brothers & Rose
2003 Michael Stillman died age 87 in Somers, New York - Founder of Monitor Records

1901 Woodstock Ontario, Canada is incorporated - County seat of Oxford County in south western Ontario on the Thames River - First settled in 1800 and incorporated as a town on 1 January 1851 - The Dairy Capital of Canada and also promoted as the "The Friendly City" - Population 34,480
1924 WHO-AM Des Moines, Iowa began broadcasting
1947 Radio Netherlands began broadcasting
1990 Isle Of Wight Radio first went to air - It was the first "incremental" station - Part of the Independent Broadcasting Authority's new tier to small scale commercial stations - Awarded an FM licence in 1998

1995 Ralph Stanley "Saturday Night" album released on Freeland
1997 Sawyer Brown "Six Days On The Road" album released on Curb
2003 Kenny Rogers "Best Of Kenny Rogers" album released

1950 Eddy Arnold "Little Angel With The Dirty Face" single charted to #3
1961 Floyd Cramer "One The Rebound" single debuted on the Australian Top 40 Chart at #39 peaking at #5
1967 Norma Jean "Norma Jean Sings Porter Wagoner" album charted to #19
1967 Charlie Louvin "I'll Remember Always" album charted to #22
1972 The Mom And Dads "In The Blue Canadian Rockies" album charted to #18
1972 Jan Howard "Love Is Like A Spinning Wheel" album charted to #40
1978 Billy 'Crash' Craddock self titled album charted to #14
1978 Stella Parton self titled album charted to #27
1978 Bobby Bare "Too Many Nights Alone" single charted to #29
1978 Tanya Tucker "Tanya Tucker's Greatest Hits" album charted to #35
1989 Mary Chapin Carpenter "How Do" single charted to #19
1995 John Michael Montgomery self titled album charted to #1
1995 Blackhawk "That's Just About Right" single charted to #7

1938 Delia Bell born Delia Nowell in Bonham, Texas - "Flame In My Heart" charted to #45 in 1983
1942 Rick Blackburn born in Cincinnati, Ohio - Record company executive
1945 Stefan Grossman born in Brooklyn, New York - Country blues & ragtime guitarist, composer recording artist, teacher & writer of guitar instruction books
1956 Kathy Cash born Memphis, Tennessee - Daughter of Johnny Cash and Vivian Liberto
1974 April Stevens born - East Tennessee bluegrass sister duo Beth & April Stevens
---- *Brian Jendra born - The Monto Yodeller

1968 Dorsey Murdock Dixon died age 70 - Dixon Brothers
1972 William Howard "Jesse" James died age 55 in Texas - Western swing bandleader
1983 *Tim McNamara died age 60 of cancer - First recored in 1948
2000 Aaron Shelton died age 69 in Nashville, Tennessee - WSM recording engineer

1933 *6BY Bunbury, Western Australia began broadcasting - Closed down after three years
1935 Fibber McGee & Molly comedy show debuted on radio, starring Jim & Marian Jordan - The show finished in 1959
1997 Janis Gill filed for divorce from Vince Gill after 17 years of marriage
2005 *Lex K (Kunst) married Heather Hocking in Gympie, Queensland

1973 *Reg Lindsay released the single "Overnight Man" inspired by overnight parcel vans
1995 Charley Pride "Platinum Pride: Greatest Hits Vol 1" album released on Honest

1949 Ernest Tubb And The Andrew Sisters With The Texas Troubadors "Don't Rob Another Man's Castle" single charted to #6
1983 Hank Thompson "Six Pack To Go" album charted to #19
1966 Kitty Wells "Kitty Wells Sings Songs Made Famous By Jim Reeves" album charted to #24
1966 Ned Miller The Best Of Ned Miller" album charted to #28
1977 The Amazing Rhythm Aces "Toucan Do IT Too" album charted to #26
1983 B J Thomas "New Looks" album charted to #13
1988 Ricky Skaggs "Comin' Home To Stay" album charted to #12
1988 Steve Wariner "I Should Be With You" album charted to #20
1988 David Slater "Exchange Of Hearts" album charted to #33
1994 David Bell "Thinkin' Problem" single charted to #2
1994 Blackhawk "Every Once In A While" single charted to #2
1994 Alabama "The Cheap Seats" single charted to #13

1901 J. B. Fusilier born in Oberlin, Louisiana - Cajun fiddle pioneer
1906 Claude Grant born in Bristol, Tennessee - Founding member of the Tenneva Ramblers
1926 Ray Patterson born in Clayton, New Mexico
1929 Don Winters born in Tampa, Florida - Only chart success was a double sided hit "Too Many Times" & "Shake Hands With A Loser" #10 & #27 in 1961
1934 Porter Church born - Banjo player joined The Stonemans in 1956
1976 Gord Bamford born in Australia - Moved to Canada with his mother age five, living in Alberta - Released 'God's Green Earth" album in 2000 and "Life Is Good" album in 2004
---- *Paul McLoud

1960 Eddie Cochran died in Willshire, England
1992 Hank Penny died age 73 - Western Swing legend
2000 Murray Nash died in Ocala, Florida - Early RCA records executive
2004 Dave Kirby died age 65 in Branson, Missouri - Singer/songwriter/guitarist
2006 Emory Martin died age 89 - Banjo Pioneer - Born August 16 1916

1960 KICY-AM 850, public radio in Nome, Alaska started broadcasting
2001 Johnny Russell had both legs amputated below the knees due to diabetes
1926 The Skillet Lickers first recording session for Columbia
2003 The Big Outfit started recording debut album "Variable Resistor" at Willie Nelson's Pedernales Studio in Spicewood, Texas

1973 The Eagles "Desperado" album released
2001 Tom Russell "Borderland" album released on Hightone

1965 Kitty Wells "Burning Memories" album charted to #7
1965 Johnny And Jonie Mosby "Mr. & Mr. Country Music" album charted to #18
1971 Merle Haggard "Hag" album charted to #1
1971 Anne Murray self title album charted to #11
1975 Mickey Gilley "Gilley's Greatest Hits Vol. I" album charted to #5
1976 The Statler Brothers "Harold, Lew, Phil & Don" album charted to #21
1976 Moe Bandy "Biggest Airport In The World" single charted to #27
1982 John Anderson "Would You Catch A Falling Star" single charted to #6
1982 Johnny Cash "The General Lee" single charted to #26 - From TV series "The Dukes Of Hazzard"
1982 Jack Grayson "When A Man Loves A Woman" album charted to #37
1993 Mary Chapin Carpenter "The Hard Way" single charted to #11
1993 Today's Hit Country various artist compilation charted to #24
1999 Kenny Chesney "You Had Me From Hello" single charted to #1

Heather, I love your list! When I read all the things the Country Music stars have done on this day I just want to get in my car where no one can hear me and sing along. Thanks.

Chatterbox, I'm glad you enjoy it. I'm glad others enjoy music trivia. I wish I could find a good blues list. Blues is my favorite.

1896 Leon "Abner" Weaver born in Ozark, Missouri - The Weaver Brothers & Elviry
1925 Billy Liebert born in Detroit, Michigan - Session musician/multi-instrumentalist/conductor
1942 Lynn Bailey born in Indianapolis, Indiana - Her only chart offering was "Cheater Fever" #94 in 1980
1947 Walt Richmond born in Tulsa, Oklahoma - The Tractors
1949 Kyle Lehning born in Cairo, Illinois - Producer/recording industry executive
1983 *Lee Kirby born Lee Michael Kirby - Kalgoorlie, Western Australia heat winner in the Telstra Road To Tamworth 2006 Talent Quest
1936 Milton Brown died age 32 in Fort Worth, Texas - Founder of Western Swing - Milton Brown And His Musical Brownies
1981 Roy Faulkner died age 79 - Performed on WIBW Kansas Roundup - Born 19 November 1911
2003 Harry Dailey died age 51 in Falls Church, Virginia - Musician/songwriter
2004 *Tommy Mack - Thomas Emmett McNamara - Atomic Comic singer & comedian - Older brother of Tim McNamara - Recorded four sides for Regal Zonophone in 1951

1946 Earl Scruggs married Louise Certain in Gaffney, South Carolina
1986 *Terry Smith became full time member of Stan Coster's "Blue Gum Band"
1994 Johnny Cash filmed his "Delia's Gone" video from the 18-24 April
1998 Paradise Road: The Life And Songs Of Dolly Parton a major Broadway-style show chronicling the superstar's amazing career made it's debut - Dollywood's 13th season also marked the addition of "Daredevil Falls" a unique waterfall ride featuring a 63mph free fall

1988 Reba McEntire "Reba" album released on MCA
2000 Tim O'Brien "Real Time" album released on Howdy Skies
2000 Ray Price "In An Honky Tonk Mood" album released on Jasmine
2000 Todd Snider "Happy To Be Here" album released on Oh Boy
2000 Arthur "Guitar Boogie " Smith "Here Comes The Boogie Man: The Original Recordings" album released on Jasmine

1964 Lefty Frizzell - "Saginaw Michigan" album charted to #2
1970 Johnny Cash - "What Is Truth" single charted to #3
1970 Tommy Cash - "Six White Horses" album charted to #18 - His biggest hit
1970 Eddy Arnold - "Love & Guitars" album charted to #30
1981 Randy Barlow - "Love Dies Hard" single charted to #13
1981 Moe Bandy - "My Woman Loves The Devil Out Of Me" single charted to #15
1981 Burrito Brothers - "Does She Wish She Was Single Again" single charted to #20
1987 Bailey And The Boys - "Oh Heart" single charted to #9
1987 Charly McClain - "Still I Stay" album charted to #35
1992 Wynonna self titled album charted to #1
1992 Mark Chesnutt - "Longnecks & Short Stories" album charted to #9
1992 Dolly Parton - "Straight Talk" album charted to #22
1992 John Anderson "When It Comes To You" single charted to #3

April 19th

1895 Jim Wolverton born in Mississippi - Leake County Revelers
1932 Shorty Lavender born in Old Fort, North Carolina - Fiddler
1929 Bill Rice born in Datto, Arkansas
1941 Bobby Russell born in Nashville, Tennessee - Songwriter
1948 Dudley Hill born Tacoma, Washington - Bluegrass, rock, jazz performer - Founding member of Pearl Django - Did "Blue Drag" & "Lovers Leap" - Died 15 January 2005
1954 *Big Mal Coad born Hawker South Australia
1963 Wendy Holcombe born in Alabama - Banjo player
1965 Gary "Stretch" Brewer born - Kentucky Ramblers/bluegrass
1978 *Amber Lawrence born in Sydney, N.S.W. - Singer/songwriter performs with The Electric Cowgirls
---- *Roger Corbett

1998 Earl E. Bolick died age 78 - Blue Sky Boys
2001 John Stoneman died age 77 in Jonesville, Virginia

1924 WLS National Barn Dance debuted in Chicago, Illinois
1965 WINS-AMin New York City became the first all-new formatted radio station
2001 Iqaluit became the capital of the new province of Nunavut, Canada

1995 Holly Dunn "Life And Love And All The Stages" album released
2006 *Lisa Chappell "When Then Is Now" album launched at the Vanguard, Sydney, N.S.W. - Former McLeod's Daughters actress debut album is a mix of folk, country & acappella

1959 Leon Ashley "Walkin' Back To Birmingham" single charted to #23
1975 Hoyt Axton "Southbound album charted to #27
1975 Fiddlin' Frenchie Burke "Colinda" single charted to #30 - His biggest hit
1975 Doug Kershaw "Alive & Pickin'" album charted to #32
1975 Jerry Wallace "Greatest Hits" album charted to #39
1980 Mac Davis "It's Hard To Be Humble" album charted to #3
1980 Razzy Bailey "Too Old To Play Cowboy" single charted to #13
1984 *Redgum "I've Been To Bali Too" single debuted on the Australian Top 40 Chart at #40 peaking at #9
1986 Dwight Yoakam "Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc., Etc." album charted to #1 - His first and biggest selling album
1997 John Berry "I Will, If You Will" single charted to #19

You get a song like "It's Hard to be Humble" in your brain and you have to sing it all day! I love this list, Heather!

Yeah, I get I kick out of that song. I'm a big Johnny Cash fan. Willie Nelson's prob my favorite. But I like alot of other classic country stuff too. That's what they call it now.

1910 Van Buren "Red" Anglin born in Franklin, Tennessee
1922 Hylo Brown born Frank Brown in River, Kentucky - Bluegrass singer
1939 Johnny Tillotson born in Jacksonville, Florida
1944 Doyle Lawson born in Ford Town, Tennessee - Singer/mandolinist/traditional bluegrass/country gospel
1957 Steve Kaufman born in New York City - Guitarist
1969 Wade Hayes born in Bethel Acres, Oklahoma

1707 Johann Christoph Denner died in Nuremberg age 48 - German inventor, maker of musical instruments who invented the Clarinet He made improvements to the chalumeau, the first single reed instrument, of the late 1600's
2004 Red Craddock died - Bluegrass musician - Born Walter Marshall Craddock in 1938

1985 The Grand Ole Opry shown on TNN for the first time
1988 The Johnny Cash Show toured Germany from the 20-28 April

2003 The Big Outfit finished recording debut album "Variable Resistor" at Willie Nelson's Pedernales Studio in Spicewood, Texas

1993 Patty Loveless "Only What I Feel" album released on Epic
1994 Jimmie Rodgers "Train Whistle Blues album released on ASV
1999 Spade Cooley "Shine On You:The Western Swing Dance Gang" album released on Bloodshot
1999 Freddy Fender "Greastest Hits" album released on Edsel
1999 Darrell Scott "Family Tree" album released on Sugar Hill
2001 Ace Cannon "The Best Of Ace Cannon: The Hi Records Years" album released

1966 *Jay Justin "I'm So Grateful" single debuted at #35 and stayed at #35 before dropping out of the Australian Top 40 Chart
1968 George Hamilton IV "Gentle Country Sounds Of George Hamilton IV" album charted to #25
1968 Johnny Carver "You're In Good Hands With Johnny Carver" album charted to #31
1968 Ernest Tubb "Ernest Tubb Sings Hank Williams" album charted to #34
1974 Rex Allen Jr "Goodbye" single charted to #19
1974 Conway Twitty "Conway Twitty: Honky Tonk Angel" album charted to #1
1974 Mac Davis "Stop And Smell The Roses" album charted to #2
1974 Chet Atkins & Merle Travis "The Atkins-Travis Traveling Show" album charted to #30
1975 Cal Smith "Between Lust And Watching TV" single debuted on the Australian Top 40 Chart at #40 peaking at #32
1985 Oak Ridge Boys "Step On Out" album charted to #3
1985 Merle Haggard "Kern River" album charted to #8
1985 Crystal Gayle "Nobody Wants To Be Alone" album charted to #17
1985 The Kendalls "Two Heart Harmony" album charted to #27
1985 Chance"To Be Lovers" single charted to #35
1991 Billy Dean "Young Man" album charted to #12 - His biggest hit
1991 The Forrester Sisters "Talkin' About Men" album charted to #16
1991 T Graham Brown "With This Ring" single charted to #31
1996 Billy Dean "It's What I Do" album charted to #18

1910 Van Buren "Red" Anglin born in Franklin, Tennessee
1922 Hylo Brown born Frank Brown in River, Kentucky - Bluegrass singer
1939 Johnny Tillotson born in Jacksonville, Florida
1944 Doyle Lawson born in Ford Town, Tennessee - Singer/mandolinist/traditional bluegrass/country gospel
1957 Steve Kaufman born in New York City - Guitarist
1969 Wade Hayes born in Bethel Acres, Oklahoma

1707 Johann Christoph Denner died in Nuremberg age 48 - German inventor, maker of musical instruments who invented the Clarinet He made improvements to the chalumeau, the first single reed instrument, of the late 1600's
2004 Red Craddock died - Bluegrass musician - Born Walter Marshall Craddock in 1938

1985 The Grand Ole Opry shown on TNN for the first time
1988 The Johnny Cash Show toured Germany from the 20-28 April

2003 The Big Outfit finished recording debut album "Variable Resistor" at Willie Nelson's Pedernales Studio in Spicewood, Texas

1993 Patty Loveless "Only What I Feel" album released on Epic
1994 Jimmie Rodgers "Train Whistle Blues album released on ASV
1999 Spade Cooley "Shine On You:The Western Swing Dance Gang" album released on Bloodshot
1999 Freddy Fender "Greastest Hits" album released on Edsel
1999 Darrell Scott "Family Tree" album released on Sugar Hill
2001 Ace Cannon "The Best Of Ace Cannon: The Hi Records Years" album released

1966 *Jay Justin "I'm So Grateful" single debuted at #35 and stayed at #35 before dropping out of the Australian Top 40 Chart
1968 George Hamilton IV "Gentle Country Sounds Of George Hamilton IV" album charted to #25
1968 Johnny Carver "You're In Good Hands With Johnny Carver" album charted to #31
1968 Ernest Tubb "Ernest Tubb Sings Hank Williams" album charted to #34
1974 Rex Allen Jr "Goodbye" single charted to #19
1974 Conway Twitty "Conway Twitty: Honky Tonk Angel" album charted to #1
1974 Mac Davis "Stop And Smell The Roses" album charted to #2
1974 Chet Atkins & Merle Travis "The Atkins-Travis Traveling Show" album charted to #30
1975 Cal Smith "Between Lust And Watching TV" single debuted on the Australian Top 40 Chart at #40 peaking at #32
1985 Oak Ridge Boys "Step On Out" album charted to #3
1985 Merle Haggard "Kern River" album charted to #8
1985 Crystal Gayle "Nobody Wants To Be Alone" album charted to #17
1985 The Kendalls "Two Heart Harmony" album charted to #27
1985 Chance"To Be Lovers" single charted to #35
1991 Billy Dean "Young Man" album charted to #12 - His biggest hit
1991 The Forrester Sisters "Talkin' About Men" album charted to #16
1991 T Graham Brown "With This Ring" single charted to #31
1996 Billy Dean "It's What I Do" album charted to #18

Back
Top Bottom