[News] This just rubbed me the wrong way

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm amazed that in this day & age people still don't see how offensive this can be. I hope our Irish members contribute their two cents to this gym.

An advertisement purporting that “you don’t need to look like you’re having an epileptic fit to get in shape” has caused consternation on Facebook.

Airside Bootcamp had a sponsored advertisement appearing on Facebook with the message.
One woman, a sufferer of epilepsy, contacted Independent.ie to express her disgust with the advertisement.

“You wouldn’t put up ‘you don’t have to look like you have downs syndrome to exercise’“

“His implication is that it’s an overreaction from people – it’s not, it’s unkind.”

Outrage over gym’s ‘epileptic fit’ advert to attract new members

epileric

Thank you for highlighting this, I got a message about this and the more people who leave a comment the better. To be so insulting to people is not just disrespectful but ignorant, There is some outrage at this, what happens remains to be seen.

Please Leave a COMMENT on their page.

I don't understand what having an epileptic fit has to do with working out. It's not as if people with E look any different from "normal" people. Considering most people on this website seem to be very careful about diets and supplements, I would venture to suggest that most people on this site are healthier than the average individual who goes to a gym to workout.

I don't see the point of being offended by ignorance. Ignorance is unavoidable as it is impossible to know everything.

Lastly, from the few generalized seizures I've had, I can say having a generalized seizure is probably the most intense "workout" one can have. I've pulled muscles, broken my shoulder, and still have back pains sleeping at night. It's not that these things can't happen from working out, but they are not likely if one is cognizent of what they are doing.

I don't have fits and if someone says so they'll get the lecture of there life and what I'd say wouldn't be tacky!!!

Last edited:
I don't understand what having an epileptic fit has to do with working out.

I used to work out in a gym and had a trainer who knew I have E. Several times I did have a CP seizure while working out in her prescence. For some, a workout can induce a seizure. That is what it has to do with working out.

resaebiunne said:
I don't see the point of being offended by ignorance. Ignorance is unavoidable as it is impossible to know everything.
So, you're not offended by being called ignorant because you don't see why some of us are offended? IMO, the public likes to keep their head in the sand. BTW, I've been told several times even by those so called "professionals" that "i don't look like I have epilepsy."

resaebiunne said:
Lastly, from the few generalized seizures I've had, I can say having a generalized seizure is probably the most intense "workout" one can have. I've pulled muscles, broken my shoulder, and still have back pains sleeping at night. It's not that these things can't happen from working out, but they are not likely if one is cognizent of what they are doing.

I've also had generalized seizures in addition to CPs. But more than just a few and ended up in the hospital numerous times from burns, black eyes, injured neck, pulled muscles and other injuries. Also, I once dropped a weight on my foot while I was cognizant and another time slipped on the treadmill. Accidents DO happen anytime, anywhere!

It is a choice to be offended. I choose not to let trivial things offend me. If you want to be part of the majority in this thread and act out of offense, that is your choice. Personally, I have bigger problems and issues to deal with than advertisements on Facebook.

resaebiunne

This may come as a surprise but everybody here has there own problems and an advertisement on facebook or anywhere else does not exactly bother us, however it is the content which is very offensive. To say "you don’t need to look like you’re having an epileptic fit to get in shape" includes all of us including you and I cannot see how me or anybody else having a seizure means it is easy get in shap, go to a gym or any other.

If we are prepared to let others make fun and deride us as a person and people then we should accept what society says and tells us. I for one am a better person and its not funny or anything else having a seizure. I totally agree with epileric and other's who realise, believe and strive for a better life, irrespective of pitfalls we encounter. I will not have others make less, little, fun or deride me. I do not find it in good taste that they make fun of me or anybody else who goes through this and that includes you.

Last edited:
I joined up with FaceBook and I left it because of it's advertisements. Oh yes, the news feed cAused me to quit too.

Leaving FaceBook wAs the best thing I did.

For those of us who have the time or inclination, it certainly can't hurt to try and root out ignorance and insensitivity wherever it rears its ugly head...

For those of us who have the time or inclination, it certainly can't hurt to try and root out ignorance and insensitivity wherever it rears its ugly head...

:agree:

I joined up with FaceBook and I left it because of it's advertisements. Oh yes, the news feed cAused me to quit too.

Leaving FaceBook wAs the best thing I did.

I've never seen this type of junk on Facebook. One can control what they see on FB. If you don't like what you see on FB, you can hide the post.

When I was on FB you got what they gave you. That was years ago when I left FB. I guess they have changed.

I was not able to hide posts. I am glad that they changed that policy.

Speaking of E in a Negative Way

When a person w/E sees an ad like the ad 'epileric' opened this thread about they don't have to feel offended, but they should also think of the other people who have E. Some of the other people may be offended, so this means that this ad IS offensive, in general, to people who have E. When we see something that IS offensive to some of our fellow friends w/E, we have to stand TOGETHER against the use of statements like this. If the ad's sponsor is so uncaring that they feel no one has the right to feel offended about the content of their ad, they are the person who truly has a severe PROBLEM!:rolleyes: People like this only care about three things 1. THEMSELVES 2. HOW THEY CAN USE ANOTHER PERSON's PROBLEMS AGAINST THAT PERSON to help themselves gain an advantage over that person 3. DUPING SOME UNSUSPECTING PERSON WHO READS THE AD.
This is the type of person we don't need using E in a negative way, in an ad!:ponder:

ACsHuman:hugs:

The new punch bag for society is diabetes2 middle aged .SAy costing NHS fortune and anyone over weight with it is game for abuse.Also heard nasty snipes at people with fibrosis.Things not looking to good for people who get to 90 plus to much on society tax.
Jewish black indigent people gay Hiv bi polar the list goes on
Sadly no one on this forum going live to see pure harmony educated or sensitive humans.
I always pick people up when say epileptic I say I person who has sz or if I have to I say I lady who has eplilepsy and amazing how many docs and nurses I picked up on.
I beginning to wonder if I should use epileptic and take sting out of it Intresting what others think.

Good for you for saying person with epilepsy! We aren't defined by our our epilepsy. It is only one facet of our lives.

Back
Top Bottom