This Week in Blues History

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Heather

New
Reaction score
Apr 17th
On this day in 1927, Katherine Baker recorded "Chicago Fire Blues".

Apr 19th
On this day in 1925, a band calling itself The Cotton Pickers recorded "Down And Out Blues" for Brunswick Records. Brunswick, like many other companies had done, put The Cotton Pickers together using an assortment of white musicians and marketed them as black to cash in on the popularity of "authentic" Blues recordings.
On this day in 1965, John Jackson recorded forty songs for Chris Strachwitz in Fairfax, Va, a selection of which were chosen to form Jackson's debut album "Country Blues and Dances"

Apr 20th
On this day in 1931, in the city of Chicago, Louis Armstrong recorded "When It's Sleepy Time Down South", on the Okeh label. It would become his theme song for many years.
On this day in 1966, Abert King backed by Booker T. & The MGs, recorded a minor key number called "Laundromat Blues" (Stax 190). It reached number 29 on the R&B chart.

Apr 21st
On this day in 1960, Dick Clark, described as "the single most influential person" in the pop music business, testified before the congressional committee looking into payola. He admitted he had a financial interest in 27 percent of the records he played on his show in a 28 month period.
On this day in 1969, Janis Joplin and the Kozmic Blues Band played London's Royal Albert Hall.

Apr 22nd
On this day in 1955, Jesse Fuller recorded his first full length commercial album, "Frisco Bound", for the Cavalier label in Oakland, Ca.

Apr 23rd
On this day in 1955, Ray Charles returned to Florida long enough to record "Drown In My Own Tears", and "Hallelujah, I Love Her So", in the studios of WMAQ Miami, for Atlantic Records. That day Ray also recorded the gospel drenched "A Fool For You" which eventually reached #1 on the R&B chart.

Apr 24th
On this day in 1934, Mr. Laurens Hammond introduced his "pipeless organ". His B3 and the "Leslie" speaker cabinet are pretty much THE standard in Blues.
On this day in 1952, Willie Nix recorded "Truckin' Little Woman" with Walter Horton on harp, and Willie Johnson on guitar.

Apr 26th
On this day in 1923, Bessie Smith recorded "Tain't Nobody's Business If I Do" for Columbia Records.

Apr 25th On this day in 1956, Elvis Presley scored his first #1 hit on the American pop chart. It was called "Heartbreak Hotel, and was written by Hoyt Axton's mother.

Apr 27th On this day in 1927, Victoria Spivey entered a St. Louis, Missouri recording studio to record "Idle Hour Blues", "Jelly, Look What You Done Done", "The Alligator Pond Went Dry", "Steady Grind", "TB Blues", "Number 12 Let Me Roam", and "Arkansas Road Blues" for the OKeh label. Among the fine musicians accompanying her that day was Lonnie Johnson.

Apr 28th On this day in 1928, "Ol' Man River" by Paul Robeson hit #1 on the pop singles chart.

Apr 29th On this day in 1927, "The Last Scene Of The Titanic" was recorded by Frank Hutchison in St. Louis (Okeh 45121).
On this day in 1967, Aretha Franklin's first recording of "Respect" was released.

Apr 30th On this day in 1941, Charlie "Bird" Parker's first commercially recorded work was cut at Decca Records.
On this day in 1960, Fats Domino recorded at J&M/COSIMO studios in New Orleans, "Walking To New Orleans".
On this day in 1983, Muddy Waters died at age 69 from a heart attack.

May 1st On this day in 1923, The Fletcher Henderson Orchestra recorded "Beale Street Mama" for Paramount Records in New York City.
On this day in 1926, Clara Smith recorded "Look Where The Sun Done Gone" and "Rock, Church, Rock" for Columbia Records in New York City.
On this day in 1929, Cow Cow Davenport recorded "Back In The Alley" for Vocalion in Chicago.

May 2nd On this day in 1941, Big Bill Broonzy, along with Jazz Gillum on harmonica, and Washboard Sam on washboard, recorded "Key To The Highway" in Chicago, Illinois.

May 3rd On this day in 1969, "Time Is Tight" by Booker T. & The M.G.'s peaked at #6 on the pop singles chart.
On this day in 1969, "Oh Happy Day" by Edwin Hawkins Singers entered the Top 40 chart.

May 4th On this day in 1957, Alan Freed premiered his half hour TV show, "The Alan Freed Show" on ABC-TV. Among his guests for the very first show was Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

Muddy Waters, Newport Jazz Fest 1960 - Hoochie Coochie Man

Muddy Waters - Mannish Boy

Last edited:
May 1st On this day in 1966, "Soul Limbo" a Stax single by Booker T. & The MG's was released.
May 4th On this day in 1953, Muddy Waters got together with Little Walter, Elgin Evans, Jimmy Rogers, and Big Crawford to record Chess single #1542, "Baby Please Don't Go".
On this day in 1959, the very first Grammy Awards were held honoring the recordings of 1958. Among the winners were "Best Female Vocalist - Ella Fitzgerald, for her album "The Irving Berlin Songbook", and Best Vocal Group - Louis Prima & Keely Smith, for "That Old Black Magic".
May 5th On this day in 1891, Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky was guest conductor at a 5 day music festival marking the opening of New York City's "Music Hall". The "Music Hall" was later renamed "Carnegie Hall" in honor of Andrew Carnegie. Around a hundred years later Roy Buchanan, Lonnie Mack, and Albert Collins would appear together on the same stage Tchaikovsky once graced.
On this day in 1939, Jack Teagarden & His Orchestra recorded "Octoroon" in New York City for the Brunswick label.
On this day in 1925, John T. Scopes, a teacher in Dayton, Tennessee, was arrested for teaching Darwin's theory of evolution in violation of state statute.
May 6th On this day in 1927, Sippy Wallace recorded "Dead Drunk Blues", "Have You Ever Been Down", Lazy Man Blues", and "The Flood Blues" while in Chicago, for the Okeh label.
May 7th On this day in 1966, "Got My Mojo Working" by organist Jimmy Smith peaked at #51 on the pop singles chart.
May 8th On this day in 1948, "Nature Boy" by Nat "King" Cole reached #1 on the pop singles chart. It remained there for eight weeks.
On this day in 1958, Sonny Terry recorded "Cornbread, Peas and Black Molasses".
May 9th On this day in 1941, Billie Holiday recorded one of her most famous original songs, "God Bless The Child", in New York City for Okeh.
May 10th On this day in 1963, at the Olympic Sound Studios in London, the Rolling Stones recorded Chuck Berry's "Come On" and Willie Dixon's "I Want to be Loved" as their first single.

May 10th
On this day in 1965, the Rolling Stones began recording their "Out of Our Heads" album at Chess studios in Chicago.
On this day in 1976, Albert King recorded "Ain't Nothing You Can Do" in Hollywood for the Utopia label.

May 11th
On this day in 1926, a twenty year old Victoria Spivey took a trip to St. Louis were Okeh records was on a field trip looking for new acts to record. She recorded two of her own songs, "Black Snake Blues", and "Dirty Woman Blues". That record became an immediate best seller.
On this day in 1927, Louis Armstrong And His Hot Seven recorded "Weary Blues" and "Melancholy Blues" in Chicago for Okeh Records.
On this day in 1953, recording as Little Henry for the Chess label, Henry Gray, accompanied by Henry Strong (hca), Morris Pejoe (g) and Earl Phillips (d) cut "I Declare That Ain¹t Right" and "Matchbox Blues". These remained unreleased until 1973 when the were included in a UK four album Chess box set entitled "Genesis".

May 12th
On this day in 1952, Little Walter, backed by Muddy Waters, Jimmy Rogers, and Elgin Evans, recorded one of his most famous records... "Juke". It was released as Checker single #758

May 13th
On this day in 1938, Louis Armstrong recorded the classic New Orleans anthem "When The Saints Go Marching In" for Decca records.

May 14th
On this day in 1927, Chippie Hill recorded "Sport Model Mama"
On this day in 1951, Howlin' Wolf recorded "Moanin' At Midnight" in Memphis for Chess single 1479

May 15th
On this day in 1929, Bessie Smith recorded "Nobody Loves You When Your Down And Out" in New York City, as Columbia 14451.

May 17th
On this day in 1962, Sam "Lightnin' Hopkins" recorded 8 songs live at The Second Fret in Philadelphia, PA, including the humorous "Ain't It Crazy". The recordings were released on an album as "Hootin' The Blues".

with srv

When did Sam 'Lightning' Hopkins get together?

May 14th
On this day in 1956, Big Maybelle recorded "That's A Pretty Good Love", Savoy single 1195

May 15th
On this day in 1950, Wee Bea Booze recorded "Easy Rider Blues".
On this day in 1960, Lloyd Price headlined "The Biggest Show Of Stars 1960", a concert at Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis that also featured Clyde Mcphatter, The Coasters, Bo Diddley, Lavern Baker, Little Anthony & The Imperials, Jimmy Reed, Jimmy Jones, Sammy Turner and Joe Turner (tickets $2-3.50).

May 16th
On this day in 1956, Ray Charles recorded the great Doc Pomus song, "Lonely Avenue", in New York City for Atlantic Records. It eventually reached #6 on the R&B chart.

May 17th
On this day in 1846, the saxophone was patented by Antoine Joseph Sax.

On this day in 1953, Ray Charles recorded "Mess Around" in New York City for Atlantic Records.
On this day in 1955, Joe Williams recorded "Every Day (I have the Blues)" with the Count Basie Orchestra. Clef single #89149
On this day in 1967, Albert King recorded "Born Under A Bad Sign", and "Personal Manager" for Stax.

May 18th
On this day in 1959, "Castin' My Spell" by The Johnny Otis Show peaked at #52 on the pop singles chart, while "Kansas City" by Wilbert Harrison sat at #1.

May 19th
On this day in 1956, "Blue Suede Shoes" by Carl Perkins peaked at #2 on the pop singles chart.

May 20th
On this day in 1927, Alberta Hunter recorded "Beale Street Blues", and "Sugar", in an old church in Camden, New Jersey, for the Victor label. Accompanying Hunter on the pipe organ was "Fats" Waller. The church acoustics provided a natural reverb which is unusual for records from this period.

May 21st
On this day in 1945, Dinah Washington recorded "Blow Top Blues".
On this day in 1955, recommended to Leonard Chess by Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry went into a Chess recording studio and performed a restyled version of a song he wrote called "Ida Red." What came out of that session, after numerous takes, was Ida Red’s new name and Chuck Berry’s first hit, "Maybellene". Maybellene topped the R & B charts at #1, and the pop charts at #5.
On this day in 1963, Little Stevie Wonder, who turned 13 just eight days prior, recorded a live album called, "The Twelve Year-Old genius". One tune from that album, "Fingertips, Part Two," became Stevie's first hit single, topping both the R&B and the pop charts.
On this day in 1964, Albert King recorded "You Throw Your Love On Me Too Strong" as Coun-Tree single #1007

May 22nd
On this day in 1954, Little Walter got together with Otis Spann, Louis Meyers, Robert Lockwood, and Willie Dixon, to record "Got To Find My Baby".

May 23rd
On this day in 1956, Fats Domino began a 7 week stay at the top of the Soul chart with the double sided hit "My Blue Heaven" b/w "I'm In Love Again"

May 24th
On this day in 1955, Muddy Waters recorded "Mannish Boy" for Chess, as a sort of answer song to Bo Diddley's "I'm A Man" recorded two months earlier.

May 25th
On this day in 1954, Howlin' Wolf, Otis Spann, Jody Williams, Hubert Sumlin, Earl Phillips, and Willie Dixon got together and recorded "Evil" (Chess 1575)

May 26th
On this day in 1924, Sippie Wallace recorded "Caldonia Blues" in New York City for Okeh.
On this day in 1925, Bessie Smith recorded W.C. Handy's "Careless Love Blues" in New York City for Columbia records.
On this day in 1926, Clara Smith recorded "My Brand-New Papa" in New York City for Columbia records.
On this day in 1930, The Memphis Jug Band recorded "Bumble Bee Blues" in Memphis for the Victor label.
On this day in 1938, Trixie Smith recorded "Freight Train Blues" in New York City for the Decca label.
On this day in 1957, Ray Charles recorded "Suwanee River Rock" which made it to #14 on the R&B chart, and #34 on the Pop chart.

May 27th
On this day in 1951, a young B.B. King entered the Memphis Recording Service along with Phineas and Calvin Newborn. Supervised by Sam Phillips and Jules Bihari, he recorded "She's Dynamite".

May 28th
On this day in 1969, Earl Hooker recorded the incomparable "Have You Ever Seen A One Eyed Woman Cry?" in Los Angeles, for Bluesway (Bluesway 6032).

May 29th
On this day in 1959, one of the first outdoor festivals of the rock era took place at Herndon Stadium in Atlanta. Headliners featured Ray Charles, B.B. King and Jimmy Reed among others. The concert drew more than 9000 music lovers.
On this day in 1962, Ray Charles won the "Best R&B Recording" Grammy for his "Hit The Road Jack".

May 30th
On this day in 1953, Willie Mabon's "I'm Mad" was number one on the R&B chart.

May 31st
On this day in 1969, the first Gospel crossover hit, "Oh Happy Day" by Edwin Hawkins' Singers peaked at #4 on the pop singles chart.

Jun 2nd
On this day in 1962, Ray Charles' "I Can't Stop Loving You" began it's 5 week stay at the top of the singles charts.

May 31st
On this day in 1678, Tax protester Lady Godiva rode naked through Coventry.
On this day in 1961, Chuck Berry’s amusement park, Berryland, opened in Wentzville, Missouri near St. Louis, MO. The 30-acre complex featured a swimming pool, miniature golf course, ferris wheel, a children's zoo, a lake, and a picnic grove with barbecue pits.

Jun 1st
On this day in 1924, Sylvester Weaver recorded "I'm Busy And You Can't Come In" for Okeh (8152).
On this day in 1955, "Ain't That A Shame" by Fats Domino charted #1 on the "R&B chart (and stayed there for 11 weeks).

Jun 2nd
On this day in 1896, Guglieimo Marconi's radio was patented in the U.S.
On this day in 1925, Virginia Liston recorded "Make Me A Pallet", and "You Can Dip Your Bread In My Gravy, But You Can't Have None Of My Chops " in New York City for OKeh.
On this day in 1960, Lowell Fulson recorded "Blue Shadows", Chess single 959.

Jun 3rd
On this day in 1941, Tony Hollins recorded "Crosscut Saw Blues" in Chicago as Okeh C-3845-1
On this day in 1952, Frank Sinatra recorded the classic, "Birth of the Blues", for Columbia records.
On this day in 1959, an "All Star Concert" in Charlotte, NC at Charlotte Coliseum featured Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, Jerry Lee Lewis, Hank Ballard & The Midnighters, The Falcons, Jesse Belvin, Marv Johnson, Baby Washington, The Pips, and Johnny 'Guitar' Watson

Jun 4th
On this day in 1963, Lightnin' Hopkins recorded the album "Going Away" with Leonard Gaskin on Bass, and Herbie Lovelle on Drums, as Bluesville #1073

Jun 5th
On this day in 1979, 64 year old Muddy Waters married Marva Jean Brooks. It also happened to be Marva's 25th birthday.

Jun 6th
On this day in 1963, James Cotton, Otis Spann, Luther Tucker, Willie Dixon, and Willie Smith got together with Muddy Waters and recorded "Elevate Me Mama", "So Glad I'm Living", My Love Strikes Like Lightning", and "You Don't Have To Go".
On this day in 1924, Sippie Wallace recorded "Sud Bustin' Blues" in New York for Okeh Records.
On this day in 1929, Ethel Waters recorded "Second-Handed Man" in New York City for Columbia.

Jun 7th
On this day in 1979, Chuck Berry performed at the White House at President Carter's request. Little more than one month later he was sentenced to four months in jail for income tax evasion.

Jun 8th
On this day in 1938, Fat's Waller & His Rhythm recorded "Buck Jumpin'", for Victor Records in New York City, which featured extraordinary guitar work by Al Casey.
On this day in 1944, "Straighten Up And Fly Right" by Nat King Cole entered the Top 40 chart.
On this day in 1953, Junior Wells & His Eagle Rockers made their recording debut for States label with Johnny Jones, Elmore James, and Odie Payne.

Jun 9th
On this day in 1924, "Jelly-Roll Blues" was recorded by Jelly Roll Morton and his band, in Richmond, Indiana for Gennett Records.

Jun 10th
On this day in 1930, Bo Carter recorded "West Jackson Blues" in San Antonio, Texas.
On this day in 1940, Erskine Hawkins recorded "After Hours" for Bluebird (10879)

Jun 11th
On this day in 1931, Bessie Smith recorded "Long Old Road" for Columbia.

Jun 12th
On this day in 1959, Chess/Checker records released Chuck Berry's "Chuck Berry on Top" album, and Bo Diddley's "Go Go Bo Diddley".

Jun 13th
On this day in 1969, "Soul Bowl '69" began at the Houston Astrodome. Performers included Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Sam and Dave, and The Staple Singers.

Jun 14th
On this day in 1923, Bessie Smith, accompanied by Fletcher Henderson on piano, recorded "Bleeding Heart Blues", "Lady Luck Blues", and "Yodeling Blues" for Columbia Records in New York City.

Jun 15th
On this day in 1923, Bessie Smith recorded "Midnight Blues" in New York City for Columbia Records.
On this day in 1929, Lonnie Johnson and Eddie Lang recorded "Bull Frog Moan" Okeh 8695
On this day in 1968, Aretha Franklin's "Think" reached number one on the R&B chart and stayed there for three weeks.

Hazel Scott... a GREAT legend

Hey Heather, Hazel Scott is my idol on the piano. I'm studying this one and it is incredibly hard, but great.

Check it out:

The first one was a little busy, but I liked it. I love good jazz or blues ballads, especially female vocalists. I played piano as a kid for about 5 yrs. I'm thinking about taking lessons again. I still remember how to read music, where the notes are on the piano, etc. It probably won't take long for me to pick it back up. My favorite stuff to play used to be ragtime. I like alot more music now, than I did then though. So we'll see.

Have you ever played any of the New Orleans piano players like Professor Longhiar, James Booker or Dr. John? Or any boogie-woogie like Mead Lux Lewis, Albert Ammons or Pete Johnson?

Last edited:
Dinah Washington sings Bessie Smith

I like stuff like this. Dinah Washington singing Send Me to the 'lectric Chair

Cool! I loved that one! I'm going to find as many blues, jazz and boogie woogie music as possible.

Pete Johnson and Albert Ammons

Pete Johnson also played with Big Joe Turner in the 1930s

Back
Top Bottom