Tim's Run for Aidan

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
On Oct 31, 2010 I will be running the Marine Corps Marathon in honor of my step-son Aidan and his fight with Epilepsy. That's right, Fat Tim will be running 26.2 miles!

I got a long way to go so anyone interested in joining me in VA in Oct (either to run or cheer me on), please let me know. Also anyone with any tips to get this old fart running pass them on!

Join my group on Facebook or Myspace (look for Tim's Run for Aidan)

Congrats Tim! That's wonderful what you are doing. I've never run a marathon myself, but they say the best way to prepare is to build up the distance part slowly. If you've never run at all, start walking and then run a small amount and then walk some more, gradually increasing the amount you run.

Best,
Nakamova

that's awesome. I'd say though, start pacing your self now. and maybe start eating things higher in protein and lower in carbs.

Thanks guys. It's not so much I've never ran, I'm a police officer and former Marine, just haven't ran much in the last few months. I'm starting off slow and have a routine I'm working on.

Rae, surprising enough I have to start to increase my carb intake to make it through it. By my calculations by the last few months before the marathon I should be taking in aver 600 carbs a day! Of course I'll be burning more than that anyways.

Thanks for all your support, join my groups on facebook and myspace and tell your friends too!

I wish

you the best of luck, Tim. There's NO WAY I could do 26 miles!! No sirree Bob! Aidan is lucky to have you!! :clap::clap:

Also anyone with any tips to get this old fart running pass them on!

Spend a few minutes asking around on a forum where running enthusiasts hang out. Find out how to get properly fitted with the right running shoes for yourself. It may sound strange/stupid, but having the right shoes (or the right fit/support for your frame/feet) can make a world of difference not only in the effort you expend, but also on the risk for injury (shin splints, ankle sprains, etc.) for long distance running.

Good luck on your run! Awesome idea! :mrt:

I've set up a fundraising page on firstgiving for the Citizens united for Research in Epilepsy an organization that helps fund research programs. At this point the only hope we have is for some type of breakthrough program. If anyone still has a desire to donate money I encourage you to do so through this method. Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and support. Be safe everyone.

http://www.firstgiving.com/aidansrun

Last edited by a moderator:
I am far from being an expert, but I would suggest walking the distance first. I don't know, but it seems like a good way to let your body know what you are up against. Since you were a marine, you may have already done that part several times.

Back
Top Bottom