Today in Rock n Roll history

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Heather

New
Reaction score
Mon. March 30

Today in the History of Rock.......

Amos Milburn hits #2 on the R&B chart with "Hold Me, Baby".

"Eddie My Love" by the Chordettes hits #14.

"Lollipop" by the Chordettes hits #2.

Eddie Platt hits #20 with "Tequila".

John Coltrane's masterpiece, 'A Love Supreme', is released.

Sly and the Family Stone hit #1 with "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)".

Judy Collins hits #32 with "Cook With Honey".

Jim Croce hits #37 with "One Less Set of Footsteps."

Loudon Wainwright III hits #16 with "Dead Skunk".

Seals & Crofts hits #20 with "Hummingbird".

Deodato hits #2 with "Also Sprach Zarathustra".

Traffic's 'Shoot-Out at the Fantasy Factory' hits #6 in the US.

Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side," a musical tour of the New York demimonde from the David Bowie-produced 'Transformer,' becomse an unlikely Top Forty hit.

“Nobody Wins,” by Brenda Lee, enters the Hot 100. It is the last time she’ll crack the pop chart, but the song becomes a #1 country hit.

Hooked On a Feeling (Blue Suede) was a hit.

Giorgio Moroder hits #33 with "Chase".

Heart hits #34 with "Dog & Butterfly".

Robert DeNiro wins the Best Actor Oscar for his performance in 'Raging Bull'.

"Beat It," by Michael Jackson - which features a blistering Eddie Van Halen guitar solo - is premiered on MTV. Its high-energy fusion of rock and soul drives it to the top of the charts.

Basketball star Earvin "Magic" Johnson announces he has contracted the HIV virus.

Marvin Gaye was born.

'Rumours' tops the Billboard album chart for the first of 31 weeks. Ultimately, it will chart in the U.S. for 134 weeks and in the U.K. for 443 weeks—the second longest tenure in U.K. history and more than the rest of Fleetwood Mac's catalog put together.

Kansas hits #11 with "Carry On Wayward Son".

ELO hits #24 with "Do Ya", which originally charted at #93 in 1972 by the Move.

Genesis hits #62 with "Your Own Special Way" .

England invades the Falkland Islands.

Kajagoogoo hits #7 in the UK with "Ooh to be Ah".

DJ Europop widely utilizes sampling and garners such hits as "Pump Up the Volume" by M.A.R.R.S.(UK #1 9/5/87; US #13 2/20/88) and "Beat Dis" by Bomb the Bass (UK #2 2/20/88).

'Naked,' Talking Heads’ eighth and last studio album, is released. The album was recorded in Paris with African musicians.

The Look (Roxette) was a hit.

MTV announces launch of "Fightin' Wordz," an on-air poetry campaign which showcases the work of some of today's hottest young poets.

On this day in Rock and Roll history.....

...the mention of Vanilla Ice embarasses honest-to-God rappers everywhere.

...Elvis lived.

...John Lennon lived.

...someone somewhere sang 'Happy Birthday To You' Beatles-style.

...add to the list!:rock:

I didn't think anyone was reading this thread.

Richard Manuel, keyboardist and vocalist with the Band, is born in Stratford, Ontario, Canada.

Jorgen Ingmann hits #2 with "Apache".

Jr. Walker & the All Stars hit #4 with "Shotgun".

(You're My) Soul and Inspiration (The Righteous Brothers) was a hit.

Van Morrison hits #23 with "Blue Money".

Stephen Stills hits #37 with "Sit Yourself Down".

Aerosmith releases 'Toys in the Attic,' including the hit singles "Sweet Emotion" (#36) and "Walk This Way" (#10).

The Salsoul Orchestra hits #18 with "Tangerine".

John Denver hits #29 with "Looking For Space."

Dancing Queen (Abba) was a hit.

Foreigner hits #26 with "Juke Box Hero".

Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car (Billy Ocean) was a hit.

"MTV Unplugged" world premieres a one hour acoustic performances with Paul McCartney. Taped in London, the show is simulcasted on the Global Satellite Network.

Elton John’s “Simple Life,” from his 1992 album 'The One,' enters Billboard’s Top Forty. With this charting single, John breaks Elvis Presley’s longstanding record with 24 consecutive years of Top Forty hits.

MTV announces it will launch a national television and print advertising campaign, "MTV Elements." MTV commissioned well known photographers, directors, animators, and artists to create television and print advertising that represent different "elements" of MTV's image.

I'm reading this thread.....

I'd bet others are too So keep 'em coming!

McKinley Morganfield (aka Muddy Waters) is born in Rolling Fork, Mississippi to Ollie Morganfield and Bertha Jones who were both sharecroppers.

Willie Dixon wins the Illinois State Golden Gloves Heavyweight Championship (Novice Division).

Raymond Berry Oakley, of the Allman Brothers Band, is born in Chicago, Illinois.

Ivory Joe Hunter hits #1 on the R&B chart with "I Almost Lost My Mind".

Without the benefit of mainstream promotion, Rev. James Cleveland sells an astonishing 800,000 copies of 'Peace Be Still'.

The top five slots on the 'Billboard' chart are held by the Beatles, a feat never before or since matched.

Martin Luther King is killed in Memphis, Tennessee by James Earl Ray.

Slade is formed.

Spandau Ballet hits #10 in the UK with "Muscle Bound/Glow".

Depeche Mode hits #57 in the UK with "Dreaming of Me".

Foreigner hits #12 with "That Was Yesterday".

Genesis hits #3 in the US with "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight".

Ground is broken on the Stax Museum of American Music in Memphis.

Tony Williams was born.

'Piper at the Gates of Dawn,' the debut album by Pink Floyd -- and the only one to feature Syd Barrett as bandleader -- is released.

Let It Be (The Beatles) was a hit.

"Instant Karma (We All Shine On)," credited to John Ono Lennon and produced by Phil Spector, hits #3 on the singles chart. The #1 album that week is "Let It Be," by the Beatles.

David Bowie's 'Hunky Dory' hits #93.

Slade's 'Slade Alive' hits #2 in the UK.

"Hello Hello I'm Back Again" by Gary Glitter hits #2 in the UK.

Love Unlimited Orchestra hits #22 with "Satin Soul".

Minnie Ripperton hits #1 with "Lovin' You".

Bob Dylan hits #31 with "Tangled Up In Blue".

Kool and the Gang hits #5 with "Too Hot".

Kiss On My List (Daryl Hall & John Oates) was a hit.

Aerosmith hits #37 with "Falling In Love (Is Hard on the Knees)".

Joe Liggins hits #2 on the R&B chart and #12 on the pop chart with "Got A Right To Cry."

The Moonglows release the first of five singles for the Chance label.

Ricky Nelson hits #9 with "It's Late."

Brook Benton hits #1 on the R&B chart and #3 (4/06) on the pop chart with "It's Just A Matter Of Time", #1 on the R&B chart and #16 (8/31) on the pop chart with "Thank You Pretty Baby" and #1 on the R&B chart and #6 (11/23) on the pop chart with "So Many Ways".

Brook Benton hits #1 on the R&B charts and #3 on the pop charts with the Mercury release "It's Just a Matter of Time."

Boots Randolph & Combo hit #35 with "Yakety Sax".

Brenda Lee’s twelfth and final Top Ten pop hit, “Losin’ You,” enters the charts.

The TV show 'Shindig' debuts, featuring guitarist James Burton as a member of the house band, the Shindogs.

A white van containing Stephen Stills and Richie Furay an and old hearse driven by Canadians Neil Young and Bruce Palmer pass in a Los Angeles traffic jam. Stills, Young and Furay had briefly met back east, and this chance reacquaintance launched Buffalo Springfield.

Donald Fagen and Walter Becker, cofounders of Steely Dan, meet as students at Bard College in upstate New York. Fagen will graduate in 1969 with a degree in English Literature, while Becker will drop out.

Manfred Mann reaches #11 with "The Mighty Quinn".

Syd Barrett's departure from Pink Floyd is announced via press release.

The Delfonics hit #4 with "La La Means I Love You".

Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In (The 5th Dimension) was a hit.

Steely Dan coalesces around the core of keyboardist/vocalist Donald Fagen and bass player Walter Becker. The other members of the original group are guitarists Jeff "Skunk" Baxter and Denny Dias, drummer Jim Hodder, and vocalist David Palmer.

Billy Joel's "Piano Man" enters the 'Billboard' singles chart. It is the first in a string of Top Forty hits that numbers 33, to date.

"Waterloo" by Abba wins the Eurovision Song Contest and launches the group's internationally successful pop career.

Grand Funk hits #1 with "The Loco-motion".

Philadelphia Freedom (The Elton John Band) was a hit.

Jordan Knight, formerly of New Kids on the Block, releases his self-titled debut and releases the single "Give It to You" which has Top 40 success.

Eleanora Fagan Gough, a.k.a. Billie Holiday, is born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Spencer Dryden was born.

Charlie Thomas was born.

Buddy Johnson hits #2 on the R&B chart and #14 on the pop chart with "That's The Stuff You Gotta Watch."

The Ravens hit #8 on the R&B chart with "Silent Night."

The Penguins release "Earth Angel", eventually reach #8.

All Shook Up (Elvis Presley) was a hit.

Chicago blues legend Willie Dixon returns to Chess Records after a three-year hiatus, during which he produced an impressive roster of blues artists – including Buddy Guy, Otis Rush and Magic Sam – for crosstown rival Cobra Records.

"Cry Baby Cry" by the Angels goes to #38.

B. Bumble & the Stingers hit #23 with "Nut Rocker".

With deejay Tom Donahue at the helm, San Francisco radio station KMPX-FM begins playing rock and roll albums in a free-form, progressice format 24 hours a day.

King Crimson is formed.

Crosby, Stills & Nash's double live album '4 Way Street' is released. Showcasing the group's range and versatility, it includes group performances and solo spots.

David Bowie scores his first US Top 40 hit with "Space Oddity" which peaks at #15.

David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust hits #75.

Gladys Knight & the Pips hit #2 with "Neither One of Us (Wants To Be the First To Say Goodby)".

Steely Dan's biggest hit single, "Rikki Don't Lose That Number," is released. It rises to #4 and pulls the album from which it came, 'Pretzel Logic,' up to #8 on the album charts.

Deep Purple guitarist Ritchie Blackmore plays his last show with the group.

Leif Garrett hits the top 10 in both the US and the UK with "I Was Made for Dancin'."

We Are the World (USA for Africa) was a hit.

The album 'Bill Monroe and Friends' -- featuring folk and country stars like Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and Emmylou Harris—is released.

Rod Stewart’s recut version of the Isley Brothers’ “This Old Heart of Mine,” with Ronald Isley on duet vocals, enters the Top Forty.

'Legend,' Bob Marley and the Wailers’ greatest-hits collection, receives its 10th platinum certification, signifying sales of more than 10 million copies.

“Mistrustin’ Blues,” by the Johnny Otis Orchesta – featuring Little Esther Phillips and Mel Walker on vocals – enters the R&B chart, which it will top for four weeks.

Percy Mayfield hit #7 on the R&B chart with "Strange Things Happening".

The Hollywood Argyles reach #1 with "Alley-Oop".

B. Bumble & the Stingers hit #21 with "Bumble Boogie".

John Charles Julian Lennon is born to John and Cynthia Lennon at Sefton General Hospital in Liverpool.

The Move hits #5 in the UK with "I Can Hear the Grass Grow."

Judas Priest's fourth LP, 'Stained Glass', becomes its first to chart in the US.

Metallica hits #35 with "One"

Nelson, which is composed of Rick Nelson's two sons, releases 'After the Rain'. Their first single "(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection" hits #1 and "After the Rain" hits #6.

Windsor Castle is nearly destroyed by fire.

MTV Europe announces it has signed a one year agreement with Slovak Television. MTV Europe is the first international television network to be broadcast in Slovakia since the dissolution of Czechoslovakia on December 21, 1992.

'Wake Up' by Boo Radleys reaches #1.

MTV announces the premiere of "The Maxx," the second installment of the "MTV Oddities" series.

Take That's "Back For Good" debuts at #1 in the UK. It sells 300,000 units in the first week, the highest tally in ten years.

"Maria Maria," another single from Santana's 'Supernatural', hits #1 for the first of ten straight weeks.

Welllll, I'm

also enjoying this thread, I just don't have anything to really contribute to it unfortunately.

However, I did NOT know that the Beatles had held all 5 top slot at one time. That's really cool.......

I'm glad others are enjoying it. I'd hate to think I was posting it for nothing. I've always enjoyed music trivia. I'm glad others do too.

John Who?

"Instant Karma (We All Shine On)," credited to John Ono Lennon and produced by Phil Spector, hits #3 on the singles chart. The #1 album that week is "Let It Be," by the Beatles.

John Winston Lennon?
Sean Ono Lennon
Yoko Ono

OK, I'm picky.

Last edited:

Carl Perkins was born.

Ray Charles makes his chart debut with a solid hit, "Confessin' Blues," which appeared on the Downbeat (later Swingtime) label.

Leiber and Stoller start the Red Bird record label.

"Daydream" reaches #2, held back from the top only by the Righteous Brothers' "(You're My) Soul and Inspiration.

Paul McCartney announces his "break with the Beatles" in a typed statement enclosed in copies of the solo album McCartney sent to the British press. Paul McCartney attributes the split to "personal differences, musical differences, business differences, but most of all because I have a better time with my family."

The Jackson 5 open an engagement at Las Vegas's MGM Grand Hotel. In addition to the five brothers, siblings Janet, LaToya and Randy appear on the bill—a sign of the family talent and solo careers yet to come.

Wilton Place Street Band hits #24 with "Disco Lucy (I Love Lucy Theme)".

Cerrone hits #36 with "Love In 'C' Minor - Pt. 1".

Kiss hits #16 in the US with "Calling Doctor Love."

Haircut 100 hits #9 in the UK with "Fantastic Day".

ABC hits #25 in the UK with "Poison Arrow".

"New Beat" emerges in Belgium with artists like Praga Khan & Fatal Error.

She Drives Me Crazy (Fine Young Cannibals) was a hit.

Yes hits #33 in the US with 'Talk'.

"I Want You Back" by 'N Sync, the second boy band created by Lou Pearlman, is certified gold by the RIAA.

Bruce Springsteen's reunion tour with the E Street Band kicks off in Barcelona, Spain. The band plays for three hours without a break.

April 10th

Nate Nelson of the Flamingos is born.

Eddie Hazel was born.

"Work With Me Annie," by Hank Ballard and the Midnighters, is released on Syd Nathan's Federal label. It begins a half-year run on the R&B charts, which it tops for seven weeks. The same year "Sexy Ways" and "Annie Had a Baby" are released.

Freddie King hits #29 with "Hide Away".

"Dedicated to the One I Love," by the Shirelles, reaches #3. In May, "Mama Said" will be their single to crack the Top Five this year.

Stu Sutcliffe dies of a brain hemorrhage.

"Nowhere to Run," another blockbuster Motown single from Martha and the Vandellas, reaches the Top Ten.

Paul McCartney announces that he is leaving the Beatles due to "personal, business and musical differences."

The Staple Singers hit #27 with "Heavy Makes You Happy (Sha-Na- Boom Boom)".

Cat Stevens hits #11 with "Wild World."

Elton John hits #34 with "Friends".

Marvin Gaye hits #2 with "What's Going On".

Don't Give Up On Us (David Soul) was a hit.

Meco hits #35 with "Pop Goes the Movies Part I".

Spandau Ballet hits #10 in the UK with "Instinction".

Suede's eponymous debut album reaches #1.

MTV begins airing the original episodes of ABC-TV's primetime dramatic eries "My So-Called Life." The show won widespread acclaim for bringing an edgy, keen awareness to the turmoil of teenage life.

Apr. 11th

Charles Albert Tindley becomes first African-American to compose and publish gospel music.

Roy Milton hits #2 on the R&B chart with "Best Wishes".

The Moonglows hit #1 on the R&B chart and #20 on the pop chart with "Sincerely".

Chuck Willis hits #4 on the R&B chart with "You're Still My Baby" and #8 on the R&B chart with "I Feel So Bad".

"Please Please Please" by James Brown and the Famous Flames reaches #6 on the R&B charts.

Bob Dylan's New York City debut occurred at Gerdes' Folk City.

Betty Everett hits #6 with "The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss)".

The Temptations hits #11 with "The Way You Do the Things You Do."

Bobby Bland hits #20 with "Ain't Nothing You Can Do".

Peter Green leaves Fleetwood Mac in Germany during a tour. He is not replaced.

Joy to the World (Three Dog Night) was a hit.

Jefferson Airplane release a live album, 'Thirty Seconds Over Winterland,' which will be their swan song until they briefly reunite in 1989.

The six-week "Bongo Fury" tour, on which Frank Zappa and the Mothers are joined by Captain Beefheart on vocals, commences.

Human League releases the 'Holiday 80' EP with the lead track "Being Boiled".

MTV Europe and Rete Unica conclude deal to bring the channel to 1.5 million households in Italy.

Pulp's 'This Is Hardcore' reaches #1.

Where's the Country?

Rock n Roll is for those hippies from the 70s. Where is your good old Country Music history?

I know some country music history too. Are you familiar the Carter Family? If Mother Maybelle were still alive, May 10th, she'd be 100 yrs old.

Apr. 12th

"Rock Around the Clock" is recorded by Bill Haley and the Coments at the Pythian Temple in New York.

Soviet Yuri Gagorin is the first human in space, completing a full orbit of the planet in under two hours.

'Blow by Blow', the first of two instrumental albums George Martin produces for Jeff Beck, is released. Beck's best and best-selling album, it reaches #4.

Sweet hits #2 in the UK with "Fox on the Run."

Elton John hits #1 with "Philadelphia Freedom," a song inspired by his friendship with tennis superstar Billie Jean King, whose pro team is the Philadelphia Freedoms.

Phoebe Snow hits #5 with "Poetry Man".

Suzi Quatro is cast on ABC-TV's 'Happy Days' as rocker Leather Tuscadero.

Bob Marley orchestrates a Peace Concert in Jamaica that features key reggae acts, including the Wailers, in an attempt to cool down the violent conflicts that are tearing Jamaica apart.

I Knew You Were Waiting for Me (Aretha Franklin & George Michael) was a hit.

Apr. 13th

Jack Casady was born.

Albert Greene, better known as soul singer Al Green, is born in Forrest City, Arkansas.

Fats Domino hits #1 on the R&B chart and #4 on the pop chart with the Imperial records single "I'm Walkin'."

Little Richard hits #1 on the R&B chart and #21 (4/13) on the pop chart with "Lucille", #3 on the R&B chart with "Send Me Some Lovin'", #2 on the R&B chart and #10 (7/08) on the pop chart with "Jenny, Jenny" and #2 on the R&B chart and #8 (10/28) on the pop chart with "Keep A Knockin'." All four singles are released on Specialty Records.

Thomas Wayne's "Tragedy," a million-seller released on Scotty Moore's Fernwood label, reaches #5. Moore is featured on guitar and production.

Jackie Wilson hits #5 on pop and #1 on R&B with "Baby Workout".

"Surfin' U.S.A.," the Beach Boys' thinly veiled rewrite of "Sweet Little Sixteen," enters the Top 40 at a time when Chuck Berry is serving a term in a federal penitentiary for violating the Mann Act. Berry later sues for and receives a co-writing credit on "Surfin' U.S.A."

Elton John hits #1 with "Bennie and the Jets," a tribute to R&B music from 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.' "When I first heard ‘Bennie and the Jets,’ I knew I had to be a performer," Axl Rose (of Guns ‘n’ Roses) would say in his 1994 speech inducting John into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

'Band On the Run', credited to Paul McCartney and Wings, hits the top of the U.S. album chart, where it will remain for four weeks.

B.T. Express hits #2 with "Do It ('Til You're Satisfied)".

Call Me (Blondie) was a hit.

Kiss (Prince & the Revolution) was a hit.

A radioactive cloud threatens Western Europe after an explosion at the nuclear power plant in Chernobyl, USSR.

Rod Stewart releases 'Vagabond Heart,' which will peak at #10 – his most successful showing since 'Blondes Have More Fun' topped the chart in 1979. Hit singles: “Rhythm of My Heart” (#5), “The Motown Song” (#10), “Broken Arrow” (#20).

MTV Europe reaches 35 million households in Europe.

Steely Dan's 'Alive in America,' recorded on their 1993 and 1994 "reunion" tours, is released.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers release 'Echo,' their tenth studio album as a band.

Johnnie Johnson (Chuck Berry's keyboard player) passes away at the age of 80.

Back
Top Bottom