Today was my chance...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cint

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I was in Barnes & Noble this afternoon and a nice young gentleman was sitting across from me reading a book. After reading for a while, he got up, and started walking a few feet away, and the next thing I saw from the corner of my eye, he was on the floor, seizing. But it lasted for, maybe 30 seconds and he was fully conscious the whole time. His nose was bleeding and he could understand what was being said. I looked for some sort of MedicAlert, but he said he was fine, although he said it had happened before. Of course, other people in the store had come to help and one of the employees of the store walked with him to the restroom. But what ticked me off was the lady that was seated next to me said," that you never know what these young people do nowadays, he could be on drugs." So my reply was, "Well, I have epilepsy and diabetes, so it could have been some type of seizure from either disorder." Would she have said that if the person were middle aged?

I waited to see him come out of the restroom and asked if he was okay and needed any assistance, but he said he was fine and he had called a friend for a ride. But he did thank me. I could not just watch it happen and offer nothing, especially after being in that situation so many times.

Today was the first chance for me to be on the "other side of the fence". In the past, it was always me seizing in public places.

Cindy

That was great!

Cindy,

It sounds like it was a good thing you were there . Since you understand all to well like many of us here! They lady should have kept her mouth shut unless she was going to help. You deservre a pat on your back a hand shake. You did what a good samaritan would have done.
God Bles You!
David

Yeah, for

you, Cindy!! It DOES feel good when we can step in, and help someone else out for a change, especially when they're seizing, doesn't it?

That lady, though, she needs to have her head examined..........OY.:pfft::paperbag:

Being on this side of the fence isn't really very glamorous. Glad you were able to offer to assistance Cindy.

Hello Cindy~

I think that was a great thing you did. Thats wonderful. When I was young and still learning about my seizures, I seen a older woman fall and start shaking on the floor. As she was falling she grabed a fish tank I guess thinking it will hold her up and it fell with her. This was at a flea market. I ran over and stuck my hand under her head cause I seen her head hitting the ground and it was concrete. I yelled, "Call 911". Next minute before ambulance showed up she stopped shaking. But when my parents seen me over there and came to help me with her. I have never felt so scared but happy for what I have done for her. I have never seen a seizure happen before. And I was young still learning about mine. It is nice to help others when you can. That was a great thing you did. :clap:

You may have just decreased the populas of ingnorant people by 1 today!

KUDOS!

Cindy=Slayer of Stupidity :woot:

I didn't have MY first seizure until I was 46 ..... I had never seen a seizure or met anyone with epilepsy.

I don't know what I would have done before then. I don't know.

Good job.

I have a medic alert bracelet but 9 times out of 10 I forget to wear it. I suppose I should just never take it off but I hate the way it feels on my skin.

I try to keep it in my wallet, but aside from paramedics and police offices most people aren't going to pull out your wallet and look through it when you are seizing in public

People really bug me when they come out with snide remarks, it just shows how ignorant the world is towards epilepsy, good job you were there to put her right and to offer your assistance to the man who had the seizure

:clap:

Good job Cint! Just think what a comfort it must have been to the young man you helped to not have the first person responding freaking out. I've been on the other side too. It was an interesting experience.

Back
Top Bottom