Todd's Paralysis - Nervous system Disease

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Tez_20

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Todd's Paralysis

What Is It?

Todd's paralysis is a phenomenon that occurs in some individuals with epilepsy after a seizure, particularly motor convulsive seizures. Following a seizure, a part of the patient's body, usually on just one side of the body, is partially or completely paralyzed. This paralysis can last briefly or up to a few days, but usually lasts at least several hours. It then resolves completely and does not typically leave any residual weakness or paralysis.

Very little is known about what causes the paralysis following some seizures.

Because weakness or paralysis on one side of the body closely resembles an ischemic stroke, care must be taken to distinguish Todd's from stroke. The underlying cause and pathology is completely different and they require completely different treatment.

How Is it Treated?

There is no specific treatment indicated for paralysis following a seizure. The paralysis resolves on its own. However, if the patient has not previously been diagnosed with and treated for epilepsy, they may require further work-up and treatment for their seizure condition.

[ame]http://youtu.be/UYG4bj4Lkkc[/ame]​

Last edited:
Good one Tez,

I have this all the time after my seizures, where i can't do anything with my arm. It's limp as a noodle for a few minutes until the feeling slowly come back.

Once when i was on keppra, I had a seizure, then my whole arm was limp for a few days. So limp that i couldn't even get the keys into the ignition to get to the hospital, had to call for someone to take me. I went to the ER, were they were cluesless about what the problem was. And from this it's pretty obvous that it was this, Todds Paralysis. Then i had to sign some paper work and i couldn't, the pen fell out of my hand, all i could scribble was a zigzag line. Normally i have a pretty nice signature. That was the last straw with Keppra for me.

:piano: :pop:

Good one Tez,

I have this all the time after my seizures, where i can't do anything with my arm. It's limp as a noodle for a few minutes until the feeling slowly come back.

Once when i was on keppra, I had a seizure, then my whole arm was limp for a few days. So limp that i couldn't even get the keys into the ignition to get to the hospital, had to call for someone to take me. I went to the ER, were they were cluesless about what the problem was. And from this it's pretty obvous that it was this, Todds Paralysis. Then i had to sign some paper work and i couldn't, the pen fell out of my hand, all i could scribble was a zigzag line. Normally i have a pretty nice signature. That was the last straw with Keppra for me.

:piano: :pop:
Hi Zolt,

This occurred on me after my strokes and when I was sent to the brain surgeon he told me what I had...I've come out of them with use gone in legs, arms plus hands besides speech either gone or slurred...when it first occurred like yourself A&E hadn't got a clue what is was and kept me in for observation.

It's another form of a seizure Zolt, which my neuro I see as since told me but it's rare and very flustrating when it happens, so i feel for you mate as you never know when it will occur after a seizure.

This link is the best on really explaining it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd's_paresis

Back
Top Bottom