Topamax and side effects

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

babadee

New
Reaction score
This is my first week on topamax. Taking 25 mg now and working my way up to 100. So far, so good but it's early. Plus the possible side effects can be crazy. Guess I am looking to hear good things from people.

I just tried Topamax a few weeks ago... I started it on 2/8/13 and the first week I took 25mgs. By the end of that week, I felt ok, no seizures or anything came about. But then when I had to go 50mgs by day 8, I went to bed feeling ok, but woke up in the middle of the night with cloudy vision, fast heart beat, I couldnt stand straight, loss of balance, and a really bad headache. I called to ask about it and was told I was having a reaction and to stop it immediately. For me, it didnt work once I went up in dose, but Im praying it works for you!

just dont crush it up and snort lines of it off the counter,
you will get better in time

was on it for over 2 years, felt good on it mentally (dopey feeling only settled in for a couple months when i had another t.c. and my neuro doubled my doseage overnight). yeah, don't deal with that tard anymore.
my side effect? constipation regularly for about a year.

COUrt too funny. I have been feeling great and actually sleeping better. I am on 25 mg for. W weeks before the bump up. Then 2 weeks there to the next bump up. Only side effect besides sleeping better is I never seem hungry anymore. Well that's ok I need to lose weight. I only hope that the constant ringing/buzzing in my head would go away. Been debating this symptom with my Neuro who insists its tinitis but I say how can you have that 24 -7 for over a year. Gee.

I was on Topamax from 2006 - 2008, only main side effect I remember having with it was that I didn't have much of an appetite. I was overweight before I started the Topamax & lost about 20kg over the 2 years.

Since I've been on topamax I've developed a speech problem. I know what I'm trying to say but it likes to come out all twisted up.

Topamax kicked my butt, made me feel so out of it and dopey my neuro switched me from it to Depakote.

I have been on Topamax for a couple years now, at 150mg twice daily. I do have a bit of memory issues since I have been on it. None of the weight loss I was hoping for. One of my worst side effects is tingling in my hands and feet (when they fall asleep)

Hi All
Very interresting reading. My hubby is on Keppra 500mg twice a day. Just seen the Neurologist who put him on Topamax 50mg twice a day with a view of taking him off the Keppra over 4 weeks. He has had more tingly feelings in one arm than travelling up to his head, mega headache and speach problems. Can last from mild 2 min to bad one 1hr. He does try to sleep it off. He also has a Brain tumor which has been sitting there for 13 years and not moving. Now they are trying to figgure it out if it is E or Migranes :( Hopefully the side effects on Topamax are not too bad. We shall see. Hugs to All Anette

hugs back girl, you're sure going through alot.

I believe I was taking this a longgggg time ago, and I broke out in hives and switched to Lamictal I think.

I'm on Topamax 100mg twice a day. Neuro tried to raise me to 200mg twice a day but I started seeing my animals as little tiny in size. I also have the pins and needles in my hands and feet. I think the memory loss and word recollection is normal, which is why the nick name is Dopamax lol.

Hi, I've been on Topamax for a couple of years now. Was on 300mg but the doctor has dropped me back to 200mg due the amount of weight I have lost (thanks to Topamax - it's ok, I have it to lose.)
The main issues I have had aside from the weight lose are insomnia and an issue with my language. I either can't think of the word or I swap words out E.g I'll try to say "turn off the tv" but it comes out "turn off the crayon."
Having said this, its worth it to not have a seizure. Or at least minimise the chances.
Good Luck :)

Side effects, i know what you mean!

Hey there,

I was put on Topamax a few years ago because 2 previous medications hadn't worked. In an earlier post I said that Topamax gave side me a effect like speech problems but that wasn't the only one, I do experience lack of appetite but haven't lost any weight, I don't sleep very well, and about once a month I have severe mood which I tend too enjoy every so often.

B1GGregNZ

Back
Top Bottom