Trileptal and hot flashes :(

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey, Gang!

Anyone else taking Trileptal and coping with miserable hot flashes? I'm 25 and I'm female, I take a measly 450mg twice daily, and I am burning up usually once a day and at least 4 or 5 times a week!!! I'm going to see my neurologist on Tuesday, so I am going to complain to him and all, but mostly I just wonder WHY is this happening and if it's common...

I don't want to take something that messes up my hormones over a long period of time, and I can't tell from the data I've pulled if the hot flashes are just a side effect of the medication itself or if it's a side effect from messed-up estrogen.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem... boy is it hot in here!!!

-S

Hey, I was just about to post a thread about my own heat issues when I came across your post. My situation isn't identical- but it must have something to do with the amount of medication...?

I'm a 20 (turning 21) year old female that takes 125mg of topamax (Gen-topiramate) once a day and I get so warm. I can be in shorts and a t-shirt and others will be in pants and hoodies and I'll be like phewww do you feel the heat? I think your description of the hot flashes is more extreme because of the level of medictation possibly? but otherwise I'm as clueless as you are (or were-as I see this is a bit of an older post).

I have noticed since I first went on the medication that I am more sensitivie to heat, and that my body doesn't regulate in warm weather-it just gets hotter and hotter!

If you have an answer to this dilema please fill me in!!!!!

That is a notorious side effect of topamax/topirimate. Be very careful not to succumb to heatstroke, it's a lot more likely with this med. Drink a lot, wear a hat, sit in the shade and try to stay indoors for the hottest part of the day. I'm no longer on topamax for numerous reasons (it turned out to be the med from hell for me with side effects, yet was the only med thats ever given me any semblance of control), It was actually damaging my eyesight so neuro gave me the choice of being seizure free and more than likely blind, or return to my old med, still having seizures, but to keep what was left of my sight...BUT mine was a VERY unusual side effect, borne out by contact with the uk equivalent of the FDA (cant remember the name now lol).

I'm going to find out more on Tuesday when I go to see my Neurologist!! When do you see your Neurologist again, Aboizd? We need to see our doctors and compare notes...

Hey, Loudmouth, do you still have hot flashes now?

Hey :)

ButtFlakes- I don't see my neurologist again until novemeber 30th :s but I'm calling this week to try and move that appointment up a bit because I have a pile of other things that aren't quite right! But we should definitly keep each other posted! Please please please fill me in on whatever you feel like/find out! I'll be sure to post a report when I go!

Loudmouth- Heatstroke eh? Have youhad that happen? This summer, after a day in the sun, the next day I "passed out" or had two multiple seizures when on a short road trip...it turned caused me grief cause it extended my driving suspension for another 6 months-so I'm having second thoughts on topiramate currently... -I over think things for sure-but haha I'm just curious to what you said about vision- I have a glasses perscription I haven't filled yet...but my eyes constantly feel as though they are getting blurrier-but I might just be imagining it...?

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHH!! He just told me to check with my OBGYN as he is not entirely sure why I might be having hot flashes.

Crap, that's not my answer...

-S

Overheating and blurry vision have both been reported as occasional side effects of Topomax. Because Topomax is kidney-related, it's important to avoid dehydration, especially when out in the hot sun. Drink plenty of water, and also get in the shade and/or sponge off if you feel yourself overheating. If the overheating is happening a lot, then you should consider a different AED.

Blurred vision is a side effect of a few different AEDs (I'm experiencing it on Lamictal). In the case of Topomax it has sometimes been linked with glaucoma, especially if there's a lot of pressure in the eye. As with the overheating, pay attention, and switch meds if the problem escalates.

If you are on topamax, and your vision has changed even slightly, GO TO THE OPTICIANS!!! Due to topamax, I am registered as partially sighted now as it caused me to lose all my peripheral vision. Blurred vision can be an early symptom, I ignored mine for too long, DON'T IGNORE IT! your regular optician will be able to tell if your sight has been affected, and if it has you will need to change meds. MOST people who are affected by vision problems due to topamax will recover normal sight on discontinuing the med, I was one of the unlucky ones. But PLEASE don't ignore it.

And no, now I'm just on gabapentin (neurontin), I do not suffer from the hot flushes or the heatstroke anymore.

Lamictal and hotflash

Has anyone had hotflashes with Lamictal? I had them really bad with porfuse sweating a couple of years ago when I was on a high dose of a seizure med- I am not sure if it was Trileptal or a higher dose of Lamictal, which i am on now. They stopped when the dose was lowered. Now I am perimenopausal and have MANY hotflashes day and night and wonder if these may be exacerbated by lamictal. (My mother and other women in my family had very few or no hotflaces with menopuse). Has anyone else had hotflashes with Lamictal?

I am on only 200mg of Lamictal, and at night I am drenched in sweat. Ugh.

Yup, hot flashes are a known Lamictal side effect. Probably because it messes with estrogen levels. I wonder if the extended release version of Lamictal has a better track record in this regard. Anyone know?

Back
Top Bottom