update on my little man

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

donnajane

New
Reaction score
My little man, now 26months, has been up to his usual and making us think things are all good then we get big reminders that things are not so right. Over the last couple of weeks I have had several calls from child care re his change in behaviours, they don't think it's normal toddler behaviour but are not sure, so we have now come up with a simple way of testing if something is happening we ask him were the parts of his face are, usually he can point to them but when he is NQR he can't. He has also had his usual smaller events, strange low temps and other quirks. He has been referred to Early Intervention so we are just waiting to get information re his first appointment.
My husband although he knows our youngest has issues doesn't like to fully acknowledge his condition so when he comment's like he did today you know it's something really obvious. Our little man was playing on play equipment at a McDonalds and had been going up the stairs and down a small slide quite a few times when he got to the bottom and looked so confused he then paced back and forwards in front of the equipment not sure what to do how to get back up, it was quite sad to watch he was so confused, so I took his hand and helped show him what to do again and after a few times it was like he was able to do it again. He then his his chin on the slide hard but didn't even acknowledge it only for us to see the largest bruise later in the day, another worry is that he doesn't always feel pain like most do. Around the same time he tried to walk back down the stairs and struggled, not just your 26month old nervous/unsure but like his legs struggled to hold him and he struggled to make them go down the stairs, they were quite shakey. He had quite a bad morning with quite a few little seziures, a couple of seconds each. I wish they could work out what is happening as it is times like this that I worry more as if there is a chemical "imabalance" in his brain at these times what if it ends up one day doing permanent damge and he does not "come" back to being his normal cheeky self. We have accepted he has a brain lesion and at least we know about it but the unknown at the moment worry's us more.
On a positive note - his paeatrician has written the most fantastic letter for his child care re his issues and they have said they are confident with this he will be able to have his special aid for another year. At times I feel guilty he has this special assistance as he can be so normal but then other times it is so obvious he nees the assistance.
Tonight I am sure he ws still quite a bit NQR, small events etc but in between when I read him a book on two of the pages he told me the last word when I left it off. So proud of him.
Sorry for the long post my friends try so hard to understand and often ask about my kids but I hate the look of pity they have at times. What is happening to my little man at times is quite worrying but I am so thankful that I have you all here just to even write my post. The support I have had from you on this journey has been amazing.
Donna

Hello Donna,

Gosh, don’t feel bad/guilty about the special needs help he is getting now, if he was not getting this now - later you may ask yourself did I do all we can and well, you are and KEEP doing it..leave no stone unturned to help your little man....thank God you are getting the necessary help and care group sounds pretty proactive too. I hope you are writing everything down in a dairy?

The look of pity from your friends is I would like to believe more the look of/understanding because I am pretty sure they are thinking, there but for the grace of God go I...you have quite a hand of cards to deal with and righty those that love you will feel for you big time.....just be honest with them.

Make sure to mention his high pain threshold to the doctors. Does he wear a helmet when playing?

Hugs to you, Donna. This is such a difficult journey to be on as parents. We do the best we can as we wade through this complicated condition trying to piece it together and make sense of all the details and while trying to keep life as normal as possible.

I get that pity feeling from others too and also feel like this is 99% on me to figure out. I'm the one reading and researching and questioning doctors and tracking medication and episodes. I feel alone in that and yet if dad was doing it too I probably wouldn't agree with his opinions. So, it's probably better this way,

And good for you for getting your little man a special assistant, don't feel guilty about that. Any extra help the better.

Donna, I keep hoping that your little guy's doctors will figure it out and then know exactly what to do in terms of treatment. Does he have any more tests on the horizon, or is it wait and see for now?

Thank you all so much for your replies/support. Wheneve my husband comments re our youngests condition and gets uspet by it it really hits home more about how unpredictable his condition is and how little Dr's know.
Re wearing a helmet - no he doesn't as he does feel pain sometimes and we have been told that they don't want him to "lose" that due to wearing a helmet. Makes it hard but I can understand what they mean.
He had yet another of his nights last night but then gave me so many kisses and cuddles this morning that he made me realise, again, just how lucky I really am.
Thanks again.
Donna

Back
Top Bottom