Update on Navy son

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Navymom

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My son, Steve, has now been discharged from the Navy and has been home with us for a week. It's been an adjustment for everyone. He's now taking Keppra and Topomax and is very moody, tired, and suffers joint pain. But his seizures are being controlled, so he is able to drive (major progress!). I want to thank everyone for their support. Because of this forum I learned about the use of neurofeedback and also about the Homecoming for Vets program that uses neurofeedback to help treat post-traumatic stress in returning soldiers. I looked it up and found a wonderful woman not too far from us who does treat seizures and she is going to see Steve whether he has insurance or not.:woot:

So wish us luck. We have our first meeting on Wednesday, and while I know results will not be instant, I am excited about the prospect of Steve being able to cut down - or even eliminate - the medications he has to take. Will be sure to let you know how this works out!

Chris

Woooohoooo!!!!

Yeaah!!!

I am so very happy to hear that you have found someone to do the neurofeedback for your son. That is just too cool! I'm sure it is an adjustment having him home, too. Why not have him come join the forum?

Good luck, and keep up updated, OK?

Take care,

Meetz
:rock:

Wow! How very, very wonderful .... I mean that he's home and getting neurofeedback.
I'm wishing all of you well and happy.

I am so thrilled for you both. I know what it is like to finally have some HOPE.
I suggest that you also get him on a good nutritional plan, with Omega 3s.
I can't wait to read his "story" in the months to come.

Give him my best.

Was your son medically discharged or retired? I have almost 9 years in the AF and this is a concern I have not just for myself, but for military members from all branches that develope this condition. I will be damned if the DOD doesn't recognize our length of service and sacrifice we have all made. I, like many other ground pounders (I say that because thats what they call Security Forces in the AF), have given up a lot for our country. Our parents, siblings, spouses have also given up a lot. My fiance' has a extremely dangerous job and will be in Iraq this time next year. Yes, we chose to enlist, but there there is still an obligation from the DOD to us and our families. I can understand your son's situation and frustration. The med's are not working all that well for me, but its trial and error. I can sympathize with the thought of having to be 30 years old and living with parents or being limited to walking everywhere. The amount of fear that runs through my head on a daily basis, about driving my step kids to school some day in the future and getting in a car accident, is overwhelming. I hope your son can keep his chin up long enough to see the light and know that there is a way to get through all this. As I have had to tell people, I can't afford to show fear, because if I do, then everyone around me will, and that does no one any good. My best to your son and your family.

... Because of this forum I learned about the use of neurofeedback and also about the Homecoming for Vets program that uses neurofeedback to help treat post-traumatic stress in returning soldiers. I looked it up and found a wonderful woman not too far from us who does treat seizures and she is going to see Steve whether he has insurance or not.

Awesome! :woot:

Please give Steve my regards. :)

Mavric - my son received a military retirement (not sure of the difference between that and a medical discharge). Supposedly the benefits are better, but found out he has lost his life insurance and medical insurance! All that is covered is the epilepsy. He has to get himself to the VA to find out exactly what he will be getting. Steve was having multiple seizures in a day, but they lasted only seconds. But that's enough to end his dream of a Navy career. Now I feel we're back to square one. His future path will be determined by whether or not he's on meds and if his seizures are controlled, which right now they are but the drug side effects can be wicked. I feel our first step has to be trying this neurofeedback.

A book I recently read was excellent. It's called "Epilepsy: a new approach" by Adrienne Richard and Joel Reiter. Got it from Amazon. Very readable and full of good information.

Will let you know how Steve makes out with the VA. Hang in there!!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=projectmana0a-20&path=tg/detail/-/0802774652/ref=ase_projectmana0a-20?v=glance&s=books[/ame]

Back
Top Bottom