Upper Calves in pain when walking or bending toes up

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I had a few simple partials seizures, 2 or 3 in a day and the pain in my legs hasnt really decreased. Any pressure on that upper calf muscles causes pain, Tightness and strain, and also shaking. I wanna know what I can do to help decrease it. Im 17 and started having these in march, but it was like a feather turning into a rock, it slowly progressed, till It hit rough.

I forgot to mention that those seizures were 2 days ago and i did have 2 the next day again, and that leaves us here, no seizures, but still leg pain

Hi PRS, welcome to CWE!

So sort of like a never-ending leg cramp, right? For immediate relief you might try a heating pad and/or IcyHot on the calf muscles. Very gentle stretching and massaging of the muscle can help too. For the longer-term it might help to:

1. See a Physical Therapist -- They can also do ultrasound which provides relief from muscle aches, and may offer soft tissue mobilization or trigger point therapy. They can also recommend exercises to do when the cramps hit.

2. Take a look at your diet: Dehydration can make muscle tightness worse, as can being low in magnesium and potassium. It can be hard to test for deficiencies in those nutrients, but at the very least make sure you are eating a balanced diet and getting plenty of electrolytes. Talk to your doc about whether a supplement might make sense.

3. Let your neuro know about the muscles spasms -- adjusting your meds may help.

Hi PRS,

Welcome to CWE! Nakamova gave you some really good advice. Just like you for the past 2 days I've been having seizures absence
and partials. It happens to me do to a low pressure in the weather.
One thing you may want to do is try taking vitamin B12 once a day that helps calm the nerves. Often I will get pain in my leg just
like you mentioned and I have found that ultrasound works the best for me. My Physical Therapist also gave me a few exercises to
do like leg lifts and that has also helped you may want to give that a try. Wishing You the Best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi. Welcome. My cramps and stiffness is greatly helped by yoga. Yes yoga daily has helped all my nerve systems, I still have 'tremors' in my limbs sometimes.
A big concern I have is the auto-body repair and painting garage across the street. The have big chimney things with, what looks like filters on top. But, when company is visiting, they say we have to stay inside because the fumes are bad. Smells like we're standing in front of a big chlorine pool. I did find out that chlorinated solvents in paints (AND CLEANING SUPPLIES!) UP THE CHIMNEY. I know that that stuff is extremely carcinogenic even in really small amounts. I complained to the code officer because they are all confusing ( looks like it's on purpose). About who to talk to, and that person is at some other location.
I am curious about effects on epilepsy with nerve toxins.
After complaining, the officer talked to them and it's greatly reduced. But still intermittently strong paint smells. I am tempted to go ask them to tell me in advance when they plan to use that stuff.
I know that that stuff is not illegal. And I know we all got to eat. I wish I could say go make your morally corrupt money someplace else. What rights do we have?

Oh, I forgot mention WATER Nakamova is so right (as always). I know keeping hydrated makes a world of difference for my muscles and joints. The trick, for me, is remembering to drink a as much as I can when I am not thirsty. My body loves me to do that. So I don't get really dry before I see I need water. You all are the best! Thanks so much CWE for making me feel NOT alone.

Low sodium can cause cramps. I found out that my meds cause low sodium. I started drinking some diluted Gatorade powder everyday and it has helped a lot. Bananas can help with potassium. You can get sports drink, or electrolyte solution without the sugar. It doesn't need to be full strength. Avoid all "energy" ingredients like caffiene. Be careful about artificial sweeteners because they can lower your seizure threshold.

Stevia, saccharin, and sucralose should be ok.

Some people have problems with aspartame. I'm pretty sure I have problems with "acesulfame potassium" and monkfruit.

Back
Top Bottom