Vaccinate against mexican flu?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DanaC

New
Reaction score
Dear all,
I've been reading constantly, I wish only good experiences and lots of health to all of you, however only back with posting because of this new question (didn't see it anywhere else, please move it if it's not the right place).
My daughter had three severe seizures (2 status) between the age of 14 an 17 month old, put on depakine after the second one and increased the dose after the third one. She's been seizure free from last november. Her neurologist decided we should stop the medication, we are currently towards the end of this process.
Now comes the letter from our familiy doctor inviting all 4 of us for 3 vaccinations (1 against the regular flu and 2 against mexican flu). We start reading: me-how dangerous a vaccine can be (don't forget her second seizure followed a coctail vaccination, of course no conection was accepted), my husband-how dangereous a mutation of this virus can become. We have an appointment with the doctor to discuss our worries, however I'm certain we've read and know more on the issue than she does. What are your thoughts on that? Did you vaccinate your kids? Do you consider doing this? I don't know what's the framework in your country, in the Netherlands they orderd 2 vaccines for the entire popolation and start with the ones considered at higher risk.
To be honest I've been totaly against that, read about thimerosal, adjuvants,... all which terrify me. Than read about spanish flu, about this special strain now and start to worry. How do you decide which one is the smaller risk?

Hi DanaC --

You might want to PM Dutch Mom for particular advice on vaccines in the Netherlands. I know that here in the states you can request the Thimerosal-free vaccine for the H1N1 (Mexican) flu. Officials are stressing that this vaccine is as safe as the regular flu vaccine, and that children, especially those with respiratory illnesses, are particularly vulnerable. I haven't had any of the flu vaccines myself (I've never been in an at-risk category) but my friends who have have reported no ill-effects.

Robin, mexican flu is what the dutch call H1N1/swine flu. 2 out of 3 of my children have been invited for the vaccination, but I'm still in 2 minds about it as they want to give it at the same time as their regular flu jab. Plus we have all already had swine flu, and personally, for us, although it wasn't pleasent, it was in no way shape or form as awful as regular flu is. So I'm on the fence at the moment.

I agree

with Robin. Au natural is probably best--that's the route I'm taking, at least!

Yes, sorry, it's exactly the same. I'm checking the other threads since there's already a lot of discussion on the topic.
I understood the same: this one is a new strain to which we're considered to have no imunity since it' s a combination of swine, avian and human flu, the first one like that. So far all cases of death had an underlying medical condition; however, they start reporting cases of death with apparently no health problem (in the Netherlands an apparently healthy14 years old girl died last week). A new mutation can make it more dangerous, consider the avian flu (if one get's it the risk that one dies is 90%), the spanish flu pandemic killed 50 million... This vaccination is supposed to give some imunity as well to a possible new mutation, or isn't it??
Again, I am petrified of the vaccination, we do whatever we know to increase our imunity, but do we dare to go 100% natural? Let's see what the doctor says. I'll ask if it's possible to get the thimerosal free version. Thanks for the tip.
Dana.

Hi Dana,

You're welcome to join our forum on www.sos-mies.nl
We've a discussion going there on about vaccination yes/no there in Dutch.

Many other Dutch parents of (special needs) kids with epilepsy are doubting about this vaccination: possible neurological side effects of vaccination against the chances of getting ill... and even die...
Many Dutch parents tend to make the decision based on the risks for their individual child: are they relative strong children or do they have a weak immune system? Are they at extra risk because of f.i. respiratory problems or other illnesses?

Several of our members decided to get vaccinated themselves because they work in a hospital or have other health care jobs.

But now... Last week two complete school classes got sick by confirmed H1H1, including the teachers, in different cities in Holland.

Last week we had a 15-year old HEALTHY girl in Holland who died due to confirmed 'swine flu' (= new infuenza type A / H1N1.)

And just today on MSN news: a 15-year old girl got sick last sunday and died yesterday (monday)... another HEALTHY girl. H1N1 is suspected, not yet confirmed. http://nieuws.nl.msn.com/foto/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=149471901&page=3

This is so scary especially in a small country.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree it is scary.
I understand the second girl in Holland didn't have the mexican flu. However, they say 10 people get to the hospital daily and 1 gets to intensive care, that's a 10% which is quite high.
I finally found information about the 2 possible vaccines we can get out here, one with the old adjuvant and more thiomersal and the second with new adjuvant and less mercury.
I feel that the more I read the less I know what to decide.

Yes, we have to start as well with vitamin D. The girls are taking, not as much of course. The daily "limit" set here is 50mcg (they say you can find it in 625g of mackerel), which I understand is 2000iu. For kids it's 5mcg per day, and was increased now with the flu to 10. The same question I had when I start reading Linus Pauling view on Vitamin C, I tried on myself but my stomach didn't tolarate even 2g a day; of course, I ordered a salt of the ascorbic acid and ended up in receiving the ascorbic acid itself, finally forgot about it...

Back
Top Bottom