Vagas Nerve Stimulation

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

angie2312

New
Reaction score
Hi all

I have just come across the treatment VNS . It sounds brilliant and after reading much about it , would really like to have it done . Am not sure my Neurologist will agree .

Has anyone else had this done ?!? Would love to know more about it if anyone can help

Thank you

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

How bad are your seizures? I had the VNS done after a failed temporal lobectomy and trying 11 drugs, so it was a last resort, for me. It has worked out well, although it hasn't completely controlled seizures. The My first VNS surgery was in 1997, the 2nd one in 2002 -replacement of battery, so it will be time for a replacement battery in the near future for me.

It takes some getting used to, especially when speaking and trying to swallow. Sometimes I've had breathing problems--more like asthma/wheezing problems while the VNS is stimulating, so if you're are considering it, take note of the pros/cons.

If you haven't checked these out, here are more websites:
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/Vns
http://us.cyberonics.com/en/vns-therapy/

Yep, I have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow about when I'm getting it. It helps generalized seizures. Ive done other surgeries before, all the meds but this is my last choice to. Luckily you can have it removed if it does not work.

I've had mine for about 4 years now and it's helped alot, my neuro suggested it to me. I still have to take meds and I'm having seizures, but they are nothing like I was having before I got it. I had to have the "voltage" , that's how I describe it at least, moved up very slow.

If you want to talk about it send me a message and we can talk more about it and I'll let you know how it's worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom