vitamin B6

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Andrew

Stalwart
Reaction score
What types of seizures (and how frequent) were you experiencing before starting the alternative treatment?

I was experiencing many diffrerent types of seizures a day before starting vitamin B6 including Status Epilepticus. The seizures became so severe that I was given Paraldehyde.
What AEDs (medications) had you tried prior to the alternative treatment?

Phenobarbitone, Epanutin, Mysoline... etc. With no positive effects on my seizures.

How long did you try the alternative treatment? (Not applicable to Lobectomy or Gamma Knife)

I am still using vitamin B6 to treat my RARE type of seizures over 40 years after it was first administered. I also use a multi B complex but have never used any AEDs, with my B vitamins, to treat my RARE type of seizures.

If the treatment requires active participation, how diligent were you in applying it?

N/A. As I was only ~five months old when B6 was first administer.

What changes (improvements or otherwise) occured with your seizure control with the alternative treatment?

All my severe seizures (TCs, Myoclonic Seizures, CPs, SPs...etc.) are controlled. Only Absent type seizures remain.

What (if any) adverse effects/events did you experience with the alternative treatment?

NONE to date.

How much did it cost you to implement the alternative treatment?

I have always received my B6 on prescription.

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew. I moved your post into it's own thread here in the History Book forum. :)

B6 Dependent Seizures

All my severe seizures (TCs, Myoclonic Seizures, CPs, SPs...etc.) are controlled. Only Absent type seizures remain.

When I was a young child I also experienced infantile spasms and febrile convulsions (due to illness). In my case vitamin B6 helped to control these seizures too.

Quote: "The seizures may be all types - myoclonic, clonic, tonic, tonic-clonic or even infantile spasms. It is in fact quite common for an infant with pyridoxine-dependency to have many different types of seizures, all at the same time."

Taken from the following URL:

http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/syndromes/pyridoxine-dependency

Also see:

http://faculty.washington.edu/sgospe/pyridoxine/index.html

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

B vitamins

Wow, after 4 years of being seizure free after RTL I started seizing again and during my visit with my primary (not neuro) who is a doctor but embraces the holistic approach gave me a physical and checked all my vitamins. He told me the results were disgusting and wouldn't even let me leave his office without a vitamin B12 shot and told me that the B vitamins were crucial for brain function and perhaps seizure control and my vitamin D levels were disgusting as well. I just mention because I remember him specifically stating the lack of vitamin B's were really bad for me since I had a history of seizures and at the time I just started having them again. Interesting and thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom