vitamin D deficiency

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else here has had a vitamin D deficiency? I was diagnosed previously..and it explained so much about all of my symptoms.
(Muscle/bone pain and weakness ) Well..it is related to seizures as well apparently. It helps maintain the nervous system..helps maintain blood pressure, blood sugar and weight.. and on and on. Very interesting info. My level was bottom of the barrel low and apparently still is. I am really hoping once the level comes up it will alleviate the muscle pain /weakness and maybe even the seizures. I read that some anticonvulsants can deplete the D levels..but mine were low before I even starting taking meds for the seizures. Mine was in the severely depleted level.
It is not always checked by Drs. and yet it can explain so many chronic problems. Has anyone else had this, and if so..did you notice improvement after treatment?

Thanks!
Michelle

I was told I had a deficiency too. I am to take 5000 IU, but I am lucky if I do 3000 IU.
I give Rebecca 1000 IU, because the doctor told me that she should be out in the sun, for a minimum of 30 min each day. She does not get this much, during the week, so I supplement.

I was just reading about Vit D again today, and how it relates to neuro issues. Certainly sitting in the sun is a much better way to absorb it. I have seen some improvement. I should take the amount the doctor recommended though.

I know about this too!

Michelle,

I know when I was little I had severe deffiency of vitamin D and many other vitamins too! And I now have the same problem causing pain in my bones. Except now I have pottasium deffiency and vitamin D and others which has caused pain all over and I have paper thin nails and my hair is thinand super dry skin etc.due to poor health as a baby! So I understand!
David

Last edited:
I'm taking a total of 2000 units of vitamin D (adding up my calcium chews and daily vitamins). My calcium CHOCOLATE chews also have vitamin K.

Were you deficient with symptoms, and have you noticed a difference after taking more?
Thanks for any info.

Michelle

I take the following supplements:
1000 units of Viactiv calcium chews
2000 units of vitamin D
65mg of iron (anemia)
A daily vitamin.

I was starting to show a minor case of osteoporosis. That's when the vitamin D was added. I didn't know it had other benefits. I also stopped drinking soda 'cause it interferes with calcium absorption.

I gradually increased the vitamin D because I wasn't sure if it would interfere with other meds. I also do weight bearing exercises to avoid osteoporosis. It was a good thing I went to college with that heavy load of books. Calculus lasted for 4 semesters and that book was heavy!

Back
Top Bottom