[Research] Vitamin D

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
A team of researchers from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine used the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) to conclude that vitamin D is independently associated with all-cause mortality in the general population. Low Vitamin D levels increase the risk for osteoporosis, cancer, diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus erythematosus, depression, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s disease, epilepsy and many other diseases. Research like this highlights the need for re-evaluation of optimum vitamin D levels and the need for blood testing.

http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/vitamind.asp

Two years ago my g.p. recommended that I supplement with Vitamin D (in addition to the Cal-Mag-D I was already taking). I'm currently taking 1500 IU per day, and thinking of upping it to 2000. There definitely is a groundswell of research that points to the health benefits.

I take 3000 IU but it was suggested that I take 5000IU. I just forget to take my evening supplements. Rebecca also takes this much as she gets no sunshine at all during the day.

And you're in Southern California! Since I'm way up North here in overcast Massachusetts, I better triple my dose!

We spend far too much of our time indoors, in the shade, or covered up. As I learn more about the Vitamin and its benefits it interests me. I wonder too, if sunscreen creates a barrier to the ability to produce the vitamin as well.

My primary as well as a homeopathic (vitamin gurra I call him) suggested I take 7000 I.U. of vitamin D, but I opted to take 4000 I.U. and I make sure I get out during the day to soak of some of that sunshine.

Apparently it's the number 1 vitamin we're deficient in these days considering most people stay in doors and we get it drilled in our heads that the sun (UV rays) are no good for us. Not necessarily true since we need the vitamin D, but obviously no one is saying going out and get cooked!

My g.p. said as little as 15 minutes a day outside can help during the summer. But during the winter up here (in Massachusetts) the angle of the sun negates any benefits. So I asked her if she would write me a prescription for a Caribbean Vacation. ;)

The unrecognised epidemic of vitamin D deficiency is a contributing factor of many chronic debilitating diseases as adequate vitamin D is required to support multiple organs in the body. Vitamin D deficiency affects the immune system's capacity to regulate itself.
The current dietary guideline for humans is to consume 50-200 IU of vitamin D a day. However the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition's Dr Michael Hollick recommends levels as high as 50,000 IU. It is impossible for people in Ireland to obtain these quantities from their diet.
http://www.independent.ie/health/vitamin-d-might-lessen-your-flu-risk-1924363.html

I would like to hear from anyone who controls their seizures with only vitamin D.

I would also like to hear form people who use a combination of vitamins to control their seizures. The vitamins have to have been given by a doctor for the sole purpose of seizure control.

I do not/nor have I ever used any AEDs, Special Diets,... etc. with my B vitamins to control my epileptic seizures. I would like to compare the different types of epilepsy that are controlled with vitamins.

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

I am 51 and have had Epilepsy since age 12...what stinks is that no Doc has ever suggested I take Vit D. I started doing research and found this out. So I called my Doc and went and got tested.....but before getting tested I have been taking D3 supplements of 5,000 Iu daily over the last few weeks....

My results....22...normal range...30-100..Doc is putting me on RX of 50,000 week and after 12 weeks re check blood work. And OTC supplements after that of around 1200.

I have struggled with chronic pain, digestion trouble, fatigue, asthma, brain fog...started taking the Vit D and all the problems started to go away. And I am still low...so cant wait to see when I am back up how I will feel...:clap:

What stinks is that I'm the one that had to find this out and ask for the test. By the way I take Tegretol 950 mg daily. What stinks is if I never started to do research I would have never known. Bummer...

Hi RCambell - Welcome
I know the feeling. Much of what I have found for my daughter has been due to my research. Frustrating to say the least.

I am so excited that you are seeing results. That is wonderful. Please do let us know when you have taken it a while. Good doc to listen to you. Have you read up on magnesium too? Another mineral that we are deficient in, and one that can act as an anti convulsant.

thanks...no but started taking Mag and Cal due to menopause. I also take B12 Sublingual which goes under the tongue and has B6 and Folic acid. But been taking that for awhile. Brand is called TriVita...ordered online. I love this board. I find out all kinds of info. :banana:

I will be sure to let you all know of my results as my levels of D increase :woot:

By the way ..off topic....is there a way on this board to subscribe to a thread so I can remember where I posted? I cant seem to find it???? I get them by e-mail but cant follow here?

Check the control panel. That should give you a list of the threads you have commented on. Also you can look at New Posts, that gives you a list of posts that have had activity since you were last on. Unless you are like me and rarely log off .

I am glad that you are finding CWE to be helpful. I know it has been for me.

By the way ..off topic....is there a way on this board to subscribe to a thread so I can remember where I posted? I cant seem to find it???? I get them by e-mail but cant follow here?

At the top of the page, click on Control Panel. That page will show you all subscribed threads that have new posts. Click on View all subscribed threads if you want to see the full list (including threads that have no new posts since the last time you read them).

You can subscribe to new threads without posting a message using the Thread Tools menu just above the first post in the thread.

lol....I must have been really tired when I was looking for that last night....I looked all over the top for the CP and didnt see it. I was like...what the heck is up with no CP so I can see where I have posted...hehehehe...must be from the lack of Vit D :D:roflmao:

thanks

Well, I

take 10,000 IU of D3 because I'm missing so much of it in my body. It was either that, or go in for shots three times a week. Uh, NO THANKS!! I'll take a tiny pill.......

Just for balance in evaluating what low Vitamin D can mean and what taking too much can do, check out www.bacteriality.com.

I was taking 1200IU/day and had overdosed myself. Vitamin D therapy is no more a "magic bullet" than anything else that any of us for ourselves. As with everything else, it's very, very subjective.

Any vitamin pills I've tried to take have interfered with my diabetes. My glucose level skyrockets every time I try to take any type of vitamins, and sometimes, the same happens with certain medications. So I try to get my vitamin D from the sun, here in Colorado in the winter time enjoying time in the snow and in the summer sun.

I just had to join this one. I just today, had a letter from my neurologist, he has written to my doctor to tell him, he must start to prescribe me with Vitamin D tablets. I've always tried to take Vit D/Calcium suppliments, ever since I read that long term use of AED's can lead to Osteoporosis and all sorts of bone problems. I also noticed on here, that you lucky folk, who live in the sunny parts of the world, are aware of this, because of course, the sunshine stimulates the body to produce Calcium and Vitamin D in the body to absorb it naturally, it's no wonder then, that out of our four trips to beautiful, sun kissed Egypt, I had just one very small Simple Partial Seizure, I am a different person when the sun is shining, I am just totally happy go lucky, chilled out, and see things in a completely different light, I know that a lot of people do, you just cannot beat a warm sunny day eh guys? I am trying to get 2010's holiday on prescription??!! Well, it may be worth trying huh?!
I hope you all had a great Xmas and are looking forward to a very positive happy and successful 2010 we must all stick together on here, and Happy New Year and all the best to you Bernard, and thanks for bringing us all together!!!

Lotsalove

Lainey xxxx

Back
Top Bottom