[News] VNS in Reader's Digest

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dennis100

New
Reaction score
The Sept. issue of Reader's Digest has an article about the VNS on pg.118. This is a MUST READ if you have the implant, lost a loved one who had the device or if you are contemplating VNS surgery.

I can't seem to find it on their website. Maybe it will be published online in September...

The date to hit the stands is August 17th. We've looked all over but it's not here yet in Vegas.

I can't wait to get my hands on this.

And just the neatest tidbit, the article features dennis100, a member of CWE and a Moderator at my site, VNS Message Board

And this is just the beginning! There's MORE! After Reader's Digest, there is another publication in another magazine but a more direct and in-depth probing article about VNS, Cyberonic$ and the good old FDA. It'll knock your sock off. More information on that later.

The Sept. issue of Reader's Digest has an article about the VNS on pg.118. This is a MUST READ if you have the implant, lost a loved one who had the device or if you are contemplating VNS surgery.

Why do you say it is a "MUST READ"? I do have the VNS and have read about horror stories and successful stories, like mine, as well. I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks, tho, for letting us know.

Sorry you feel that way Clint, but I make a point to read everything I can about VNS Therapy. Just because I or you may have a good/bad result doesn't mean it's a perfect solution.

Besides epilepsy, I have a laundry list of disorders and I keep up to date on my treatments of them too. If I didn't, I would have gone blind from Topamax, or died from anaphylactic shock with other attempted medication prescriptions containing traces of sulfur.

You can never know too much.

Vns

I read it and while not shocked , anyone having a VNS or considering one should read, this is not so much a horror story but the process of these devices
getting approved and the FDA.
Even if you have a good experience , the lack of communication with the manufacturers and lack of keeping track of reported problems should be a concern.
FDA is slacking on the safety of our drugs and these medical devices, IMO.

Besides epilepsy, I have a laundry list of disorders and I keep up to date on my treatments of them too. If I didn't, I would have gone blind from Topamax, or died from anaphylactic shock with other attempted medication prescriptions containing traces of sulfur.

You can never know too much.

Well, I could have died from my 1st TC seizure due to the burns I suffered from falling in the shower. Or I could have committed suicide due to the depression I suffered after the lobectomy. And the extreme migraines I suffered while taking Felbatol drove me almost insane. Not to mention the diabetes brought on by Zyprexa a "shrink" prescribed because of the depression due to the frickin' seizures and AEDs. And numerous other side effects from meds. So you, Dennis and the others who visit your website aren't the only ones who've suffered. I've found that the VNS is the only thing that has helped ME with some control of seizures, after having the left temporal lobectomy, trying 11 drugs, and suffering numerous CP and TC seizures.

You're right, one can never know too much, so we need to listen to others and hear their side, too. And as Sandi said, the FDA lacks in the drug studies as well! The doctors love the pharmaceuticals and don't tell patients the truth about most drugs.

I am well aware of your near death experience, I have had mine too but I won't get into a pissing contest with you. I have no malice. There are plenty of members on my site as well, who would have died without VNS, my Moderator, Labrat is one, in fact she did an excellent article 4 years ago for the New York Times
Battle Lines in Treating Depression

Here is another wonderful article, September's Reader's Digest, written about one of my favorite members and I want to share that information with my CWE family.

There are no fence sitters when it comes to VNS Therapy. Those who have been helped, love it and hate to hear anything negative. Those who have been harmed, hate it and just want others to be AWARE of the dangers.

I have no issues either way and understand BOTH sides of the issue.
I feel integrity in the industry and FDA is the problem.
If your gonna make a drug,make a drug if it has problems tell me.Don't hide it in all the legal bs.
I've got a lot of problems left over from Lyrica most were downplayed by the manufacturer Now they are trying to wade through the studies that were faked
and IMO should have pulled the drug off the market until they knew for sure.
But I'm sure it helped someone Who knows.
They shoved a lot of it under the rug including the guy who plead guilty.

I would like to ask, Dr's, Scientists and Pharma Both Drug and medical devices
How do you make these drugs and devices without knowing How they WORK?
I get a real kick everytime I read
Were not sure the method of action or Were not sure why it works?
Then maybe go back to the drawing board and figure it out.Isn't that what real Science does?

I have no issues either way and understand BOTH sides of the issue.
I feel integrity in the industry and FDA is the problem.
If your gonna make a drug,make a drug if it has problems tell me.Don't hide it in all the legal bs.
I've got a lot of problems left over from Lyrica most were downplayed by the manufacturer Now they are trying to wade through the studies that were faked
and IMO should have pulled the drug off the market until they knew for sure.
But I'm sure it helped someone Who knows.
They shoved a lot of it under the rug including the guy who plead guilty.

^^^THIS!!^^^^ is the problem and the issues. Now some company Reps are honest about everything, but most are there to make a living and they are SALESMEN. The more appealing you make the product, the more you sell. Cyberonic$ reps would make excellent used car salemen.

:soap:

have people lost their lives from the VNS surgery/device?:paperbag: I'm going to be getting it & I'm like...scared.

Back
Top Bottom