VNS Magnet powers

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Topcat

Stalwart
Reaction score
I've been taking off my VNS magnet when I use my laptop.
I was wondering if the magnetism in them is powerful enough to mess things up in them?

I don't do well with laptops. I like this one and don't want to mess it up.

I have the VNS and if you look into the Cyberonics website, this issue is addressed. The magnet is powerful enough to mess up the computer only if it comes within 10 inches of it. The same for TVs, microwaves & credit cards.

I don't keep my magnet close by when I'm on the computer for this reason.

From www.cyberonics.com
Tips on handling® theVNSTherapy Magnet

• The magnet should be kept at least 25cm (10 inches) away from credit cards, televisions, computers, microwave ovens, or other magnets

Thank you!
I don't know what happened to my Cyberonics book. I just bookmarked that website. I have A LOT of memory loss.
Now I just need to not lose the magnet when I'm on my laptop.
Right now I stuck it to the pole of a nearby pole lamp.

Thank you!
I have A LOT of memory loss.
Now I just need to not lose the magnet when I'm on my laptop.
Right now I stuck it to the pole of a nearby pole lamp.

Me too!! I've even lost my magnet and had to ask Cyberonics for a new one. The newer magnets come with a wrist band and a belt clip. I prefer the belt clip.

Attachments

• magnet-image.jpg
    magnet-image.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 1
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1
When I got my magnet it came with the wrist band and a belt clip. I didn't like using the wrist band too much because the magnet would always attract anything magnetic - paper clips, safety pins, some silverware and so many other things. It was just annoying to have to keep pulling stuff off of it so I started using the belt clasp.

I keep my magnet clipped onto my pants. I use purses with sort shoulder straps so anything I keep in there is usually ok. I either clip my cell phone on the other side of my pants or keep it in my purse. I've never had any problems with anything.

I am laughing because of some of these posts and needed a good laugh!! I just had my second implant a few weeks ago due to the battery wearing out and have had a heck of a time recovering!! I remember now being woken up during the night with this thing it probably needs to be turned down but I'm 3 hours away from the doctor and don't go back for 12 days. I don't even carry the magnet because I don't get any warning at all so I think what's the use?!! But I think the implant helps without using my magnet. Thanks, Jeanne

I don't even carry the magnet because I don't get any warning at all so I think what's the use?!!

I rarely get any warning that I'm going to have a seizure but I always keep a magnet on me so if I have a seizure there's one that someone can use. My husband is the only one who keeps a magnet on him at all times, along with me, but my friends and family don't.

New updated VNS Aspire, this is my second implant in almost 10 years and have almost recovered from surgery boy sure took a long time. I woke up in middle of the night last night and started walking around with the oddest sensation in my head almost light headed and felt seizure like. This implant is supposed to detect heart rate change that occurs when a seizure is going to happen. The implant is supposed to send a pulse at a higher rate like the magnet during this time. I wonder if that is what happened last night and it didn't go into a full blown seizure. Any one else with experience with this? Thanks, Jeanne

Valeried,
Thanks for the reply for the magnet. I don't have a husband to carry my magnet oh well!! If I do in the future I will ask him to do that. Thanks, Jeanne

I am laughing because of some of these posts and needed a good laugh!! I just had my second implant a few weeks ago due to the battery wearing out and have had a heck of a time recovering!! I remember now being woken up during the night with this thing it probably needs to be turned down but I'm 3 hours away from the doctor and don't go back for 12 days. I don't even carry the magnet because I don't get any warning at all so I think what's the use?!! But I think the implant helps without using my magnet. Thanks, Jeanne

My epileptologist said to keep using my magnet throughout the day.
I'm on my 2nd VNS. It's really the only thing that has helped me.
I used 1 magnet with a clip and lost it in less than a days time.
I've make my own wristbands by shortening and modifying pet collars.
Has anyone noticed that those magnets crack after awhile?
Used to be able to order the magnets from Cyberonics can't anymore.
Fortunately my epileptologist gave me 2 extras.
I also got 2 new magnets after I had my 2nd VNS implant surgery.
The way I lose things I need all I can get.
I never liked wearing things on my wrist.
But I've gotten used to it.
I never even liked to wear a watch.
I do now (on the other wrist).
The reason I do wear it is because due to my memory problems I have a lot of trouble doing and learning things.
Programing a digital watch may be easy for most people but not for me. I kept at it and did it.
Sorry for rambling on . Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Topcat,
Did you get the new Aspire VNS? Have you noticed it going off prior to a seizure? Do you know the reason for swiping the magnet throughout the day? I see my epileptologist in a week and will discuss it with her as I never heard that before. Yes I've had magnets break!! You have given me much to think about thank you for your information!! Jeanne

Mine isn't an ASPIRE. This VNS must have been put in around 5 years ago so that might be before the ASPIRE came into use.
Most of my neurologists (the ones who know about VNS) have told me to keep swiping it through out the day.

My neuro has never told me to use my magnet throughout the day. He's only said to use it if I feel a seizure coming on or if I'm having one. If I did use it when I'm not having one I'd know it was working though because I'd feel the tingle in my throat.

I finally had a magnet do something weird to my laptop.
I had my magnet in my pocket.
Since I usually keep my laptop case on my lap and set the laptop on it so I didn't worry.

My laptop screen was very dirty so I cleaned it.
After I booted up a small square that I could see through appeared to the top right of center position. I was about the same size as four laptop letter screens together.
I couldn't see the mouse courser.
When I moved the mouse the mouse mouse outline moved -dimly but went right back to that position.
Naturally I freaked out so I did a hard boot.
When it came online it was fine. I googled to try and find what happened and saw something about magnetic fields.
Only then did I remember that I had my magnet in my front pocket and it was just below the spot where that square had appeared. All I can think is the magnetic field reacted to the residue of the cleaning fluid.
Once I rebooted, with the residue dried, the square no longer appeared. I will have to keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom