[News] What Do You Do After a Seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lovelace

New
Reaction score
What do you do after a seizure? Do you take it easy or keep on going? My seizures come, but I have so much cleaning to get done. My head feels a little inflamed on the plane where my seizures come from. A part of me wants to push through it and get done what needs to get done and then a part of me says to rest and take it easy. How are things going to get done around the house? Just wondering how others handle things when seizures come?

I take focal seizures (partial seizures), mainly they're complex partials so I often feel tired or get the post seizure headache.

If I'm at home I will take it easy & just relax or rest, if I have stuff to do it can wait until I feel better.

But if I am at work I keep working, just take my time & take it a little easier for the rest of the day.

I usually see how I go and make a judgment call, most of the time I will push myself to get on with life.

I've had seizures in the morning and played a full hockey game a few hours later

Hi Lovelace,

Right after a seizure I'm usually confused for a few seconds and feel a little tired but I just keep going on know matter if it was a absence or complex partial seizure. I found if I sit down and rest I feel worse, so I just keep going even when I'm at work and then I don't feel tired anymore and if I get a headache it goes away quicker. Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

I usually see how I go and make a judgment call, most of the time I will push myself to get on with life.

I've had seizures in the morning and played a full hockey game a few hours later
I wont let my seizures stop me, I was visiting a relative in Sydndye years ago & we went to the blue mountains. On the drive I had a small seizure, he realised & got concerned. We were going to go for a small walk near the blue mountains but he didnt think it was wise for me to do it since Id had the seizure. I said no ill be fine, I was fine by the time we got to the blue mountains & did the walk with my relative watching me the whole time lmao.

I wasnt letting a seizure stop me from doing something I probably would never get to do again (as I dont live near Sydney area).

I find it depends on what I’m doing. If I’m actively engaged with a project that isn’t a tedious chore. I can push on.
Dishes and laundry...sleepy time.

If I've had a simple partial I'm usually fine within a few minutes, and easily continue whatever I was doing. Its the complex partials I get that are an issue. Since I often/usually don't even know that one has occurred, it takes, I believe, at least 30 minutes for me to fully recover. If nobody witnesses the complex partial, I have to depend on what's going on around me to figure out when it may have started/ended. That's another reason I try to keep a TV on. I can kind of tell when the seizure began &/or ended by which program is on.

Its the complex partials I get that are an issue. Since I often/usually don't even know that one has occurred, it takes, I believe, at least 30 minutes for me to fully recover. If nobody witnesses the complex partial, I have to depend on what's going on around me to figure out when it may have started/ended. That's another reason I try to keep a TV on. I can kind of tell when the seizure began &/or ended by which program is on.
Sabbo
I'm similar except my complex partials aren't as strong as yours and my auras are very small. I get a quick warning then I go into the seizure, not like the strong air as I used to get.

Often if I have a seizure at home it will be in the evening when I'm relaxing watching TV.
Usually Its near the end of the tv show and when I come to the next show is on so I miss the end of the show.
I watch a lot of murder / mystery so it's fun when I miss who the murderer is 🙄

My complex partials are very strong, and occur without any aura. I have burned myself severely--second & third degree at least 8 times. I have also injured myself in other ways, like cutting my eyebrow when I fell in the bathroom while putting things away and hit my head on the corner of an open drawer. I also came very close to getting hurt when I had a complex partial and nearly fell onto the commuter train track.

My complex partials are very strong, and occur without any aura. I have burned myself severely--second & third degree at least 8 times. I have also injured myself in other ways, like cutting my eyebrow when I fell in the bathroom while putting things away and hit my head on the corner of an open drawer. I also came very close to getting hurt when I had a complex partial and nearly fell onto the commuter train track.
I follow your posts and your complex partials are a worry.
People think my seizures are scarey but I’m extremely lucky as I’ve never injured myself. The worse I have is a bad headache but I can sleep that of so I never complain about my seizures.

I've always been extremely lucky so far. Safe to say, it is hitting me that one day I won't be as lucky.

My complex partial seizures always start with minimal impaired awareness and just progress.

@CQ:) I also have small auras. The difficult part about them is that they're not as much a warning sign, as they are just part of the seizure. Once I start getting auras, I'm not quite in power of myself anymore. I'm not quite as impaired as during the main event, but I have a hard time making decisions (like: do I try to go home?)

What do you do after a seizure? Do you take it easy or keep on going? My seizures come, but I have so much cleaning to get done. My head feels a little inflamed on the plane where my seizures come from. A part of me wants to push through it and get done what needs to get done and then a part of me says to rest and take it easy. How are things going to get done around the house? Just wondering how others handle things when seizures come?

It all depends upon the type reaction that takes place. In many cases lately I take about 20 minutes then will go back to what I was doing should something take place when at work; I work virtually so there has not been any issue to be concerned about and hopefully never will be. The VNS and DBS work together thankfully. At any rate, that's my story. I will do what is needed to take care of me and if there is a time I need to take time out I'll make it known I need to do so. -Sue

It all depends upon the type reaction that takes place. In many cases lately I take about 20 minutes then will go back to what I was doing should something take place when at work; I work virtually so there has not been any issue to be concerned about and hopefully never will be. The VNS and DBS work together thankfully. At any rate, that's my story. I will do what is needed to take care of me and if there is a time I need to take time out I'll make it known I need to do so. -Sue
I relate to this. But it's still super complicated to explain what those twenty minutes before normal are like. It's intriguing and scary at the same time.

It all depends upon the type reaction that takes place. In many cases lately I take about 20 minutes then will go back to what I was doing should something take place when at work;
I see a psychologist via teleconference and when we 1st met I tried explaining what happens when I have a seizure but it's not easy.
I actually had a seizure in front of her during a session in November,I was on my Ipad and when I came to the Ipad cover was closed.
So once I was fully recovered I went back and found the session and went back to talkng to her.
She was glad she got to see the seizure as it gave her a better understanding of what I do when I have a seizure and how I am.

We continued on with the session but she chose to keep it short as she told me later I looked tired and sI dont think I was completely 100% yet.

I was at work that day but did the session in a private place and my boss looks after reception. After I finished talking to the psychologist and the seizure I continued on with work but it ended up being a quite day

Hi, haven't been here in a while as my seizures were almost non-existent. Then I had one the other day Complex Partial-and it took 5 minutes to come out of it as it was witnessed. I always feel like I'm having low blood sugar not sure why I think that and can't talk or hear or sort things out. I am really out of it when it happens and immediately take an extra anti-seizure medication usually Carbatrol and swipe my magnet on the VNS. Then when I'm back to baseline I rest and go to bed early. I always feel sad and other strong emotions right after the seizure. I almost always have a Tonic Clonic right after the Complex Partial but they have stopped since having the second VNS implant 3 years ago. Thanks, Jeanne

I've had a few Simple Partials recently. I just close my eyes until they pass. I apparently had a Complex Partial two days ago while standing in the kitchen. my husband & I were clearing a clog in the sink pipe. He said I suddenly collapsed to the floor from the seizure. He & my older son helped me to our sofa, where I sat until I came out of it.

I almost never have an aura but if I do I'll use my VNS magnet and it might stop the seizure. However there must be times that I do feel it coming on and I will swipe something over my chest. It could be the magnet because it will be in my hand or laying somewhere beside me. There are other times that I might have something in my hand - like the phone, remote control or something else. I could be just holding it or using it like my magnet.

I usually never know that I've had a seizure. My parents say that I'm very combative during one and they try not to make me hurt myself. We have a big screen TV on the floor and during my last seizure I'd grabbed hold of it and wouldn't let it go.

Usually after a seizure I just go somewhere and fall asleep. Maybe the bed or the couch. After I wake up I have no clue I had it.

I've had few more seizures recently--both simple & complex partial. I had 2 complex partials: on 3/1, on 3/14. Then I had 2 simple partials on 3/15. I mentioned to my husband that the top of my foot was extremely sore & bruised. He said that during the one I had on 3/1, I dropped my laptop on my foot.

Back
Top Bottom