What factors help you with seizure control?

What factors have helped you attain (at least some) seizure control?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
It's multiple choice and public. If you choose "other", please explain.

I'll answer for Stacy.

:noevil: :oops:

Though I support most of these other approaches, I have not been bold enough or committed enough to try them. I am sure that part of the reason is that I have fairly good sz control.

:adore:Thumbs up to all those persueing and supporting the alternatives. Who knows when I may need them.:rock:

Last edited:
Rachel is now sz free over 14 months and med free for 2 weeks on the Ketogenic Diet. Today we are celebrating her 9th Birthday. I'm so thankful for the Ketogenic Diet, it was the only thing that offered her any relief. She was on multiple meds, had 1 grid surgery and 2 resections but the diet was our miracle. I'm a little jealous of the people controlled with just one med! LOL

Nutritional changes (I like that instead of Diet, which to me has a negative image and seems temporary. Where as nutritional changes is a way of life) In addition the elimination of all neurotoxic ingredients are rarely specified on the "diets"

Neurofeedback (at the moment my patient has gone AWOL on this, but we are temp taking a break since it did show improvement with other aspects of her life)

Vitamin and Mineral supplements (I did not click other when voting, but I did remember this afterwards. It is very important to me)

I put AED Polytherapy because so far its all i've tried. I'd like to try some others. But ive only been diagnosed for 4 months, so i haven't had much time :p

Seizure Medications and VNS therapy control mine. Still have some sneek up on me.

Thanks for the poll, Bernard!!

Seizure meds were doing nothing for my Katie except keeping her from sleeping, giving her psychotic episodes, and letting us watch her personality and intelligence erode as she spiraled into days of non-convulsive status.

Now, just 2 weeks into the classic Ketogenic Diet, we have been seizure free for 5 days and our precious Katie is back! This time we can really believe it will be for good!!

Stress management, meditation, relaxation techniques and exercise all help me. I still take meds, too.

Katies mom - That is really great to hear.
I didn't have to go as extreme as the Keto Diet, but making nutritional changes most definitely has made a positive improvement in my daughters episodes. We also had terrible side effects that were similar to yours.

I think one day in the not so distant future, we will have firm confirmation that eating a diet rich in vegetables, no simple carbs, fruits, limited meats, no dairy, actually heals, and inflammationin the brain is eliminate.

I have only used B vitamins (mainly vitamin B6) to control my seizures. In over 38 years of having epilepsy I have never used any AEDs or special diets to control my seizures, only B vitamins. I have a very rare form of epilepsy.

My story and some interesting links can be found at the following URL:

http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36549

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Regards

Andrew

Ive been on kepra for about 2 weeks now. I just started on topamax today. We shall see. So far the kepra by its self has not worked.

For me it's a combo of AED monotherapy, magnesium supplementation, dietary adjustments, and just trying to get rid of the stress in my life. :)

The overall perspective throughout the decades...

For me - it is combination of Anti-epileptic drugs,
eating the right foods, have not been on the
Keto Diet for ?? years since they last put me on
it for a "break" between the change-over between
the 'anti-convulsants' as it was known back then.
Keto Diet worked but it was not a long-term
resolution and was only a temporary measure.

Other issue of realization was letting my body
run the way it runs at its own course rather than
trying to run on a schedule regardless how lop-
sided it might be; whether the days/nights be
mixed up - it was wiser to let it be for the
seizures were reduced greatly when it was
not forced (body forced to imposed on a schedule
per 'normalcy' of 'normal human schedule hours
for want of better description).

The VNS helps with my meds a little since my seizures are increasing again.
MY seizures never get under contol.
Belinda:agree:

I really think for me, and I have been through a lot of these and still have a lot more to go. But so far less drugs, and diet help. My doc just took me off of Depakote.And I am not on Topamax anymore. Lorazepam , he just wrote me a script for Keppra for the Brand named drug. Lowered that to. So after this flu, I know I will feel better. Teresa

no drugs

I do sleep, eliminated 90% of the junk food I eat, and do supplementation of vitamins, minerals, and some amino acids.

no drugs. I like that. A positive attitude. Good people around who really know how to handle difficult, emotional situations.

emotions?

I have no control over my emotions. If I did, anger would not be a seizure trigger.
I just don't do the prescription route for controling my seizures. As for the illegal stuff, I just never developed the taste(?) for them.

I have done the multiple med thing and the no med thing. I also live in a state that allows for medical use of cannibus. I am no proponant of drugs, legal or otherwise unless it actually works and maintains quality of life. Some of the prescriptions did more damage than anything!! (Topamax is my kryptonite) Now I am on two meds at pediatric levels and they work most of the time but my sleep and stress levels are key for me:pop:

I have no control over my emotions. If I did, anger would not be a seizure trigger.
I just don't do the prescription route for controling my seizures. As for the illegal stuff, I just never developed the taste(?) for them.

Have you done any digging into a physical cause of your lack of emotional control?

Back
Top Bottom