What kindof seizures are these?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Are these atonic seizures or cataplexy?

I have been having seizures for over 3 years now (I'm 28). They have only progressed despite taking Neurontin, Lamictal, Valium and Xanax. They started out as simple partials (flashing lights, nausea, hallucinations: olfactory, visual and auditory), inability to speak and shaking). Then they became clonic-tonic in nature (muscle tensing--especially of the arms, collapsing, jerking, thrashing, vocalizations/screaming, blowing air out, losing consciousness/sometimes not and eventually sleeping afterwards).

Now they are almost everyday. I will start out with an aura like a simple partial. Sometimes have enough time to find a safe place to seizure out. Then I will start making vocalizations, stare off and do repetitive movements with my mouth. Then I start shaking, especially in the limbs, and I will start stiffening in my extremities and back (my legs will push me backwards or my head will fling back) and then seconds later I lose all muscle tone and collapse like a ragdoll. I will be unable to speak or move, sometimes for up to an hour.

I am usually conscious when they start and I can hear people around me, but this lasts about 10-20 mins after the start of the seizure. Sometimes my eyes are opened or closed. I will hallucinate and see images of people (once I saw a demon in my room). Then I will eventually lose consciousness for over half an hour. I will usually wake up, either on my own or by others. Slowly I will gain control of my body. Sometimes I am wobbly and feel like I will vomit. But about 20 mins later I will be okay or want to sleep.

Anyway, do these seizures sound anything like epilepsy?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom