What other conditions do you have?

Do you have any of these in addition to epilepsy?

• Asperger's/HFA/Autism/ASD

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Anxiety/phobias/GAD/panic disorder

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • ADHD/ADD

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Tourette's Syndrome/Tic disorder

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Dyslexia/dyspraxia/dysgraphia/dyscalculia

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • OCD

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Bipolar/psychosis/schizophrenia/schizoaffective

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Intellectual/learning difficulty

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Congenital/genetic syndrome or disorder

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Other

Votes: 26 54.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

joeyrory

New
Reaction score
I know that often lots of conditions related to the brain, neurodevelopmental for example, are linked and comorbid. In other words, if your brains wired slightly atypically, it can potentially cause a variety of issues.

I was wondering it it was the same for epilepsy?

I myself have Asperger's Syndrome (or ASD as its now called in the DSM) anxiety, Tourette's Syndrome, Dyscalculia and ADD (Not fully convinced this isn't a misdiagnosis)

I have some congenital defects. Only one kidney and a malformed uterus that had to be taken out many years ago.

i've also had breast cancer.

Hard to tell what's a co-morbitity and what is cause and effect though. Like I've been researching my meds recently and have learned that Depakote contains parabens which have been implicated in breast cancer.

Grrrr..

I might have that too^^^^ I'm going to be getting a sleep eeg to find out. Do you have the central or the obstructive kind? I wish my dog could tell me what he sees at night.

My seizures are caused by a brain tumor, but I also have OCD which, though unrelated, sometimes seems to act as a trigger.

I'd have to go for other in my family.

I ended up with heart disease which is on both sides of my family and it's caused me a lot of problems.I didn't get high blood pressure or kidney problems yet in my old age 53.

Ive been diagnosed with anxiety. I also believe I have some sort of learning disability, but I can cope with that. And have for years. Sometimes I feel like my train of though is extremely different than most people. Almost like my brain is wired slightly different.

I have Mitral Valve Prolapse with a slight murmur, which is hereditary. It makes getting any dental work a pain in the ass because any infection in my mouth goes straight to my heart we discovered. That's a very, very, very (not) funny story.

Wow Garbo, that's really unfortunate!

Do you have TCs at all, because tongue/lip/cheek biting must be hell to take care of.

I am seriously dyslexic;I have a small, stable aneurism.; sleep apnea;polyneuropathy; tinnitus, fibromyalgia;,indications of seizures as shown on EEGs but hard for me to identify in real life; ductal carcinoma; hypothyroidism; blood pressure controlled by medication;arthritis; anxiety; balance problems partly from the polyneuropathy -- and I am only mentioning what comes to mind.

"Intellectual/learning difficulty" is a huge issue I live with. Guess I assumed most all epileptic people dealt with this, having heard seizures to some degree affects our brain. Then again, (3) brain surgery brought me my biggest brain loss and change. Hmmm...

I think I may be denying how much I have learning difficulties other than the dyslexia, which is so much in my face I cannot deny it. I imagine a lot of us are like that. When you think about being out on the road suspecting that a few people around you are driving when drinking or otherwise snockered or driving while talking on the phone, gee, it puts worry about learning difficulties in perspective, doesn't it? Sanity is a GREAT thing!

It's pretty interesting to see how common epilepsy coincides with other conditions.
I have generalised anxiety disorder, depression, ADD, OCD, PCOS, GTPS, Fibromyalgia, some intellectual disability, Cerebral Palsy (spastic hemiplegia), along with an SCN1A mutation and a PCDH19 de novo mutation. That's just off the top of my head.

I often think that many of my afflictions represent old wine being shuffled around to new bottles -- so to speak. If I am having trouble with balance, how could I possibly help but be anxious in a generalized way [for instance]!

I am glad you are posting, TongueTied!

I am right there with you, Bidwell. :agree:

I think my anxiety is increased by dealing with my seizures and fear of seizures. It is constantly on my mind: Am I keeping my stress level down to a reasonable amount? Did I sleep enough? Am I eating reasonably? :pop: Drinking enough water? Not getting over-heated?

Is this OTC medicine going to put me above my seizure threshold? Are my meds going to be covered by insurance? Am I losing my faculties or is it just side-effects of my meds? Am I behaving oddly/inappropriately :banana:, or am I just being overly self-conscious?

And then there's: Am I doing enough or am I just :giveup: copping out?

Who wouldn't be anxious?

As long as I have been posting I have not seen anything as right on the money as what you are saying here and also you might take a look at Sonny's post that is headed, Now What? Fate certainly does know how to dish it out!

I've been diagnosed with selective mutism, social phobia, depressive disorder NOS, avoidant personality disorder, autism spectrum disorder, and dissociative identity disorder.

That certainly is a lot. You must be very uncomfortable and frustrated and I hope something comes along for you that is relaxing and pleasurable. In my experience, This epilepsy diagnosis stuff isn't going to do it.

That certainly is a lot. You must be very uncomfortable and frustrated and I hope something comes along for you that is relaxing and pleasurable. In my experience, This epilepsy diagnosis stuff isn't going to do it.

Thank you. Although I have quite a few diagnoses, I've improved quite a lot. I don't consider myself depressed anymore. Clinically depressed anyway, but I still have minor depression once in a while, but it doesn't last long.

Anxiety has always been my most troubling problem, but I've come a long way. I'm not socially confident or anything, but I can have conversations and speak clearly and calmly now. I no longer feel overwhelming anxiety in social situations.

That is terrific that you have a good handle on the anxiety. I urge you to really think carefully about this epilepsy business. It is complicated and, as I said before, it is hard for people to deal with -- maybe even you! I am glad you posted!

Back
Top Bottom