What Should My Plan Be?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
Most of the time I'm by myself at home. I tried talking to my hubby about what I should do if I feel like I m going to have a seizure or if I have one what do I do (If i remember at that time)? But he never wants to talk about it or just says "well u haven't had really any big problems when I m gone so no need to worry about it".
Is there any ideas or advice from you that would help me be at ease?
I m sure there's many of you that stay at home and what are your ways when something you do when u have a seizure and no ones around and/or you feel one Coming on?
Thank you for your input.

What a good question. I bet you're going to get some good responses here. I don't know really, but one thing comes to mind. Can you text your hubby if you feel one coming on... then text again in say 15 minutes to say "hey I'm alright?" ??? Again excellent question. No good answer. I guess this is just part of the whole problem in general.

That's a really good question. I've been running into it myself. I never feel them coming so theres not much I can do. The problem that happens is keeping track of them. I work nights and my mate works days. I usually sleep during the day and have had seizures in my sleep. Before there was never an issue tracking them because it would wake him up but now with us on opposite shifts I never know other than muscle pain and even then I don't know if I had a seizure or just slept wrong.
If you figure something out I'd love to hear about it.

I've had plenty of seizures when I was home by myself, all times of the day. I have an 'aura', so I do have time to get to a safe place. I run to the biggest room in the house, away from any furniture, and sit in the middle of the floor. The reason I do this is because I have CP seizures that may/may not go into generalized seizures, so I need to be away from anything that I may fall and injure myself on. If I happen to feel one coming on and I'm in the bathroom or kitchen near the stove, I get out of there ASAP. I get out of the tub or shower ASAP if I feel a seizure coming on as I was injured from my very first TC seizure in the shower years ago, from hot water. Most neuro's tell their patient's that taking baths are safe, but I don't understand their reasoning. I feel folks can fall in bath water and drown and that can be worse that taking showers, but that is just my opinion.

We also had an ADT-medic alert system in our home, since I was home with two small children much of the time. It had to be used a few times.
http://www.adt.com/medical-alert-systems

Most neuro's tell their patient's that taking baths are safe, but I don't understand their reasoning. I feel folks can fall in bath water and drown and that can be worse that taking showers, but that is just my opinion.

You're right. That seems pretty clear and I wouldn't trust that advice either.

Mine are simple partials, usually nocturnal, and I've learned to not get out of bed. If I do, the seizure generalizes and I drop wherever I am. Scars to prove it!

Cint

I am amazed because my neurologist told me to get the bath out it was to dangerous and put in a shower, said it was far safer. I get nocturnal seizures now (for quit a while now) but like Cint said staying away from anything which can hurt you is a good idea, when I got them at any stage, when I felt it coming on I got in the middle of a room away from everything so I could not hurt myself and to lie on my side, I learned this the hard way after hitting a radiator during a seizure and waking up with blood runing down my face (not nice) so take precautions and keep safe.

Thanks,i ll keep thoes in mind.
About the bath thing my Nuroloogist told me its very unsafe to take baths becuase if you have seizure u can die. But it's ok to take a showe but to let someone know that your taking a shower just in case.

Like I posted before, baths and showers both can be deadly. I had my first TC seizure on the way out of the shower. As I fell, my body somehow hit the hot just the hot water and I lie partially under the hot water, seizing. I ended up with 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my back, right arm, and right breast. I was in the hospital for two months and had numerous debridements and skin grafts. So make sure your water temperature is not too hot!

A person can fall and drown in just a couple of inches of water in the shower, also.

That's sad about what happened to you.
I be had a seizure in the shower back home and I know this sounds weird but I like to plug the drain and my boyfriend now my hubby heard a big bang and came in and saved me.

Back
Top Bottom