When does an animal become a service animal?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dejavudu

New
Reaction score
(I'm having a little bit of trouble using the search feature from my phone. I apologize if posts similar to this one have already been made.)

Do any of you use a service animal to help you manage the problems associated with your seizures? I have a 7-year-old Rottweiler who's already saved my life on more than one occasion, and I'd like to have her along with me in public to help me when I'm having episodes. She's very good at basic obedience, and I've started training her for service work. We're definitely going to need to work on a few things before she's ready. For example, she's still very nosy and pushy around cats, but I'm confident we'll work through everything.

I know the ADA defines a service animal as any animal who is trained to assist a disabled person with at least one task. (Do I have that right?) And I know there are several associations who define standards for service animals. We intend to exceed those expectations. I guess what I'm wondering, though, is when it's OK to say that my dog is a service dog. What kinds of things do I need to be aware of before I take my dog along with me into public places?

I'm not getting any information from the people I've asked about this. I've even been laughed at for asking questions. (How infuriating!) But I think this might be the way to go for me, especially considering I haven't found my magic pill, yet. Any information you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Sdit

Hi, ask me any questions you want- I have a service dog and do use mine in Public all the time!

There are not many Cats in Public -(LOL) - So if that's the only slip-up your dog has -your Good- Stay out of Pet Stores!

A Dog becomes a Service animal when it mitigates your disability and is behavior trained in public.You must realize that the dog must be under your control at all times -no matter what. There are certain criteria that Service Dogs are held to a higher standard on. Obedience is one and Socialization is another.There is no Law that says you can't train your own.Here is the best place to find knowledge.

There recently were some legal changes in Service Dog Law http://www.servicedogcentral.org/content/node/297

http://www.danawheels.com/ Is a Great site and you can join the online Yahoo Group for training specifics and help.

One problem your Rotts a bit old for training as it's right about the age you start looking for a replacement at 7 yrs. So you may want to start with a younger pup for extensive training and use your older Rott minimally.
Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions I am currently working with a few people on the net (support wise)

Last edited by a moderator:
helpful

This post is really helpful because I am graduating college in a year and I'm not sure yet whether or not I'll have to be living on my own so I have seriously been considering a service dog but I know there are waiting lists and they are expensive etc. But I wasn't sure that you could train one on you own but now I have real hope that I could. :woot:

Train your own Dog

If you have any questions , I'll help all I can.
I didn't think I had yrs and tons of money to pay and wait to get a service dog
Plus a lot of the training is with you other than obedience - As no one has the same seizure needs you do.
It takes research -So if any plans in the future start your research in advance it does take about a 1yr + from puppy to train. But you don't have to start with a puppy. Bonding though is most important.
Finding your Breed is important too as dogs differ with needs.You want to start healthy.
I don't need mobility so my dog is only 40 lbs, So ive thought to what you want to train for I have a very good Video Web site as well that teaches you HOW to Train Tasks like opening doors and bringing medication or the phone.
I did hire a private trainer -she cut her price for me and since I had an adult dog we were able to move very quickly through training.

I have several friends that run rescues for dogs. I have thought it would be great if they could train their dogs as service dogs. They are so many good dogs without homes and so many people that could use a service dogs. I have been talking to them about looking into this and they are excited about an opportunity that would be such a win-win situation for all. I am not giving up on my dream to make this come true one day.

Sd dee

My Dee is a Rescue, she was a Breeder turn in due to economy -so she wasn't the horror story with puppy mills and all . She had some problems but adjusted fine.She just was breed,there are lots of dogs with good skills being turned in to Rescues everyday.
I have a few sad stories I could tell , recently a breeder who loved her dogs
got cancer, because of chemo can't have animals and is too ill to care for them.
Or someone Dies Dog is unwanted by the family but already trained , socialized.
It happens - So there can be some good situations and you've rescued as well.
I always say check them ahead of shelters for sure. But do you know good breeder sell pups too! Sometimes they keep pups for show, and they aren't quite perfect- So they sell them as older pups /adults - but they have training.
Good breeders socialize for shows. You just have to start digging in and decide what you want and need and look broadly at your options.
Currently I know a rescue with a certified therapy dog available , it is an adult, but works the retirement home regularly. There is a difference in Service and Therapy , But just so you know it is possible with Rescues

Sandi, I'm really glad someone here has some experience in dealing with service animals. Man, you would not believe the run-around I'm getting everywhere else I go to ask questions.

I see I have a PM. I'm going to try to hop on a computer tomorrow at some point. My phone's being a major pain since it last updated.

Thanks for all the help...be back soon.

SD and SDIT

I just did ton's of research and educated myself- I've trained dogs but 20 yrs ago.Busy with kids in between. I keep proof online of my dogs accomplishments
and she has passed every exam given she will hopefully get the thumbs up on her public access test (not mandatory but I wanted the reassurance)
I expect a higher level of obedience especially in public.Today we were at the Bass Pro outlet and Mall She was Spectacular in her performance and I had 2 spells during the day.I document in case there is any problems but once she walks in she puts even the sceptics at ease.I take photo's everywhere we go and make notes.
She has made my world a whole lot more tolerable -I can rely on her and I don't have to bug the humans so much. Makes me feel better.

I started documenting training sessions last week as per some advice I found on one of the sites linked above. So far, we're just reviewing basic obedience. I introduced a few new commands that I'm hoping to develop into tasks for my dog.

I know it probably sounds silly, but I really do need to get my dog better adjusted to being around cats. The work I did before put me around all sorts of animals. Since one of my long-term goals is to continue working with animals, my dog is going to have to learn better manners around cats. Apart from that, there are many, many stray and feral cats running around in the neighborhood. I can't have her charging off to sniff while she's working.

I am a little concerned about her age. She's still very alert and active, don't get me wrong. She's doing so well for her age that one of her veterinarians refuses to believe she's seven years old. But I don't want any of this to be too much for her.

I'd consider a puppy, but I already have three dogs, and we're struggling. I couldn't possibly afford another dog, nor could I deal with the look of betrayal I'm sure I'd get from my Rottweiler if I brought a puppy home. I'll just have to see how training goes. If it gets to be too much for her, I'm not going to push her too hard.

So far, she seems to be enjoying the extra attention (and cookies). :)

Himmi have deaf-blindness with residual of both sences and have CPs. I have. White lab male guide dog named Umbro. He is my guardian. He tells mr a seizure is about to happen especially if we are walking. He tends to act up before hand.
Sometimes he will stand over means if protecting me.

Service dogs serve and do tasks we canny by ourselves. A guide dog leads me withy direction and commands, a service dog helps physically limited people with daily tasks etc. So service and guide dogs assists in doing things we can't independently.
Let me know if you want info from schools or general info.

Take care
Crystal and her guide Umbro

Crystal, you bet! I'll take any information you've got that you think will be helpful. There's a lot of useful advice on the sites Sandi and Nakamova have linked us to, as well.

Dfwtexas, I just wanted to offer a tip. Penn Foster Career School has a dog training program available. Once you complete the program, they'll pay for your testing to join one of the major dog trainers' associations. (I can't remember exactly which one.) Certification isn't required to become a trainer, but people always look for that piece of paper anyway. :) You might try looking to other schools that offer distance learning programs, too, but my experience with Penn Foster has been mostly positive.

I've got some good news! I had a cluster of seizures last night. (Okay, that's not the good news.) The situation presented me with the opportunity to see how my Rottie would handle one of the new commands I introduced earlier this week. I wanted to teach her to lean into me to steady me and to keep me from wandering whenever I have an episode. I did have to call her over, but she seemed to know exactly what to do. And she was still leaning when I came to after the worst part of that seizure. Awesome!

Now if I can just get her to associate the task with the episodes rather than the command, we'll have a much easier time training other tasks!

sd

Yea that's great that your dog worked so well. It is amazing how much they learn even as adults. keep up the good work.

DFWTexas There are so many Veterans currently waiting for Service Dogs I have given thought to raising a pup , I can at least get through obedience and do quite a bit of training myself before a pro.The Congress authorized a bill and the Va is writing RX's for them as well.

Here are some more links you may likehttp://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=28873&cn=109
http://www.psychdog.org/index.html
http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=28873&cn=109

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom