Who here actually believes in the BMI stuff?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Pingu

Stalwart
Reaction score
Ok,

Pretty much as the title suggests, who here believes that the Body Mass Index number is a proper representation of someone's health?

I am one of those who don't and actually rubbish it. If I took a BMI test now, I'd fall into the overweight/obese category...however, health wise I am a very fit individual - minus the left shoulder injury which is still plaguing me. I play sports and am very active, it's just the muscle and my build (I have a solid build) that deems me to be like that.

I am actually very curious and interested in what I am doing each hockey match and training session that I am one of a few players in my team that wear performance trackers behind the shoulder blades to capture various bits of information each match such as speed, distance, sprint times, work loads and how many hard hits I have taken during a game. (My girlfriend can actually tap into the tracker and get real time information as I play to show my family) and we use that information to tailor a performance plan to improve in the lacking areas.

I think it's a bit of rubbish lol. I've always been overweight until 2016 when I lost 30kg because I had high cholestoral
I went from 96kg - 65kg from eating right plus I walk every where, in the last 2 years I've managed to keep it off except for mayve putting on a couple of kilos but I'm still under 70kg.

Both my GP & Neuro said with my height (I'm medium height lol) I am the perfect weight for my BMI. I once said to my neuro I wanted to get to 70kg because I was concerned 65kg was too skinny lol. He told me if I got to 70kg I'd be classed as overweight (rolleyes).

I keep on my weight but only maybe once every month & eat healthy 95% of the time witht he odd treat, but in the end I go by my clothes and if they still fit me I know I'm fine lol.

Ok,
Pretty much as the title suggests, who here believes that the Body Mass Index number is a proper representation of someone's health?

I've asked doctors and nurses about this in the past. They all confirmed, it should be used with common sense. For my test subject I used myself and another "gentleman" as a test subject.

We are about a year about in age. I'm about an in taller than him. We both weight between 240-250lbs. I unfortunate carry the extra weight in my mid-section.

I'm
6 ft 2 in
245-250lbs

while he John Cena is:
6 ft 1 in
240-250lbs
https://www.wwe.com/article/john-cena-cuts-weight-project-x

This so called "health chart" considers us both obese.
https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

The doctor(s), and nurse(s) I talked with laughed. But they all agreed that the BMI chart itself is bunk.

Back
Top Bottom