Who makes Felbatol?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matthew74

Stalwart
Reaction score
Does anyone know who is manufacturing Felbatol?

I know it used to be Meda. Then I think they got bought by Mylan. I've looked at Meda, MedPointe, Mylan, and Meda AB, but I can't find a corporate Felbatol drug page. I need to apply for their patient assistance program (PAP) - I'm not sure the old PAP forms I found on the web still work. Felbatol seems to be missing from "NeedyMeds.com".

(I won't quote a price, because my memory is so bad, but it was thousands of dollars a month for the GENERIC, last time I checked. It's become so difficult to get that I may have to try to stop taking it.)

Matthew,

I took Felbatol when it first came out in the early '90's. The makers back then were Mylan Specialty. That was before a generic came out. Now the generic tablet form is made by several companies:

From www.drugs.com:
  • Manufacturer: ALVOGEN
    Approval date: January 11, 2016
    Strength(s): 400MG [AB], 600MG [AB]

• Manufacturer: AMNEAL PHARMS
    Approval date: September 13, 2011

• Manufacturer: ANI PHARMS INC
    Approval date: November 4, 2015

• Manufacturer: CADILA
    Approval date: May 30, 2017

• Manufacturer: TARO
    Approval date: April 20, 2017

I had to stop taking it long ago because of intense migraines and severe depression. I thought that most neurologists had stopped prescribing it anyway because it can also cause aplastic anemia.

Thanks Cint, that's helpful. I take brand name on account of my ultra-low seizure threshold and constant partials. It's the only way to guarantee a constant level. I have taken generic felbamate though. Local pharmacies should stock only one generic manufacturer for each med, but then you can't always use the same pharmacy...

I think Felbatol gets an undeserved bad rap. It's true that that a few people got aplastic anemia, but according to my Mayo doctor, all of the people had pre-existing conditions which made them vulnerable. If I understood correctly, he said there have been no cases since that time ( almost 30 years). It's unfortunate.

I started on it when it was new. It was the best I had ever felt. I remember it vividly. I was almost completely off Tegretol. Then I got the letter about aplastic anemia, freaked out, and quit taking meds altogether. I couldn't stand the thought of going back on Tegretol. I just I couldn't face feeling so bad again. I had some really bad seizures and quit school. That's on me, but if I had continued taking Felbatol, and my doctor had allowed me to, my life would probably have been very "normal". It would certainly have been better, without question.

I was about 18, so I couldn't cope with doctors and things. I tried for years to get my doctor to put me on it again, but I'm so bad now that it doesn't work as well as it did. I've been on it for 5 or 6 years, and on a full dose for 3 or 4. As far as I can tell the side effects are minimal. I'm still on Tegretol. I hate meds, but the only other option is seizing violently.

I took Felbatol way back when it first came out, too. My epileptologist started me on it because I started having seizures again AFTER brain surgery!! However, it gave me the worse migraine of my life and made me suicidal. The headache was nonstop for weeks and I finally called my doc and told her I was taking myself off this drug because of the way it made me feel. I had been on Tegretol before that drug but was NEVER so depressed and sick!! So she had me come in the office and I slowly got off that drug onto something else.

The pharmaceutical for Felbatol in the United States is Medpointe Pharmaceuticals. Go to

Cint, Thank you for you help! Looks like their server is down at the moment.

I called the number on the old Meda application, the form is old but the number is correct. Mylan answers. They said that Felbatol is manufactured by Mylan. IDK what the relationship between Mylan and Medpointe is.

I found the form on RxAssist, below. Follow the link on the right side. The number works as of 4/28/2020. The menu options work and you get to talk to someone quickly. I'm sure it's the same as when I was on the plan before. They said you do not qualify if you have Medicare, even if you do not prescription drug coverage. I haven't tried testing that.

Mylan PAP: 800-593-7923
https://www.rxassist.org/search/pro...=425&Drug_Id=3145&Company_Id=74&search_type=2

Back
Top Bottom