Why is my memory so bad?! please help!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My memory has gotten so bad recently; i literally will be talking and just forget what im even saying about 3 words into the conversation, its driving me insane! im in college so i need to be able to remember things to pass my A-levels in chemistry, maths, biology and photography :/ my teacher try to talk to me about how im doing but i just blank and forget what im and thier saying - luckily their very understanding and have a lot of patients (more than me lol). Sorry for the rant :/ i just wandered if anyone had any tips because its getting so bad lately, or even knows why its happening. Thankyou :)

Well, has this happened before? Or has it gotten worse over a certain amount of time? Also, are you on any kind of anti-seizure medication(s)? If so, and you see a neuro, I would probably contact them to ask them about this.

A bit but i just thought that was normal because everyone forgets stuff but it i getting so bad lately, its easier if im texting because i can read what i was saying and go from their but i just completely blank all the time. It jut suddenly got bad - like within the last month or so :/ and no im not. Thankyuo

Something I would ask your doctor. I find that the times my memory is really bad is when I am having more seizure activity. Hope that isn't the case and best of luck with your classes. It is really frustrating, especially when you are in mid conversation.

Yeah :/ i seem to be having them more reguarly, about 1-2 a day, and nobdy at college knows about them other than my tutor which can make it quite difficault when other teacher think im not listening or when other students think im strange :( it will get sorted soon i hope, thankyou for your upport though, means a lot :)

i get this alot and its due to ( well i think it is ) the medication, of course the nero prob wont believe its it if u tell them! mine didnt and when i tell ppl they will say things like " everyone forgets things" so annoying

If your seizures are happening more often, then that can definitely effect your memory.
You need to discuss it with your neuro.

Here is more insight on the subject:
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/thinking_memory_epilepsy
How do seizures change thinking?

A seizure can disrupt the area of the brain in charge of a particular function. So if seizures happen in the area in charge of language, you may not be able to name an object when you see it.
Seizures can also stop the communication between different areas. The lines are cut, so to speak. Even though you may know the name of an object, the part of the brain that knows can't tell the rest of your brain. The name is lost. One thing to remember is that where seizures start tells what function may be affected. If seizures start in several areas, or are generalized, they may affect many different functions.

Memory

Buried deep inside the temporal lobe is the hippocampus (hip-o-CAM-pus). This strange-looking thing is responsible for receiving new information and storing it. However, it only stores information for a short time. Then, if the information seems important, it ships it to a different section of the brain for long-term storage. Once the information is needed again, the hippocampus helps retrieve it. The hippocampus is the ultimate librarian.

The amygdala (a-MIG-dah-lah) is also very important to memory. This structure is responsible for basic emotions, such as fear, anger, and sexual attraction. When a person, place, or thing causes an emotional reaction, the amygdala attaches the emotion to the memory.

How do seizures affect memory?

Seizures, especially ones that start in the temporal lobe, can cause a major blow to the hippocampus. The hippocampus is very sensitive to changes in brain activity. If seizures starting here go untreated, the hippocampus starts to harden and shrink. Then it is as if the librarian has gone on strike. Information may be stored, but in a disorganized way. No one is there to find what you need. You may find what you need after a great deal of searching, or you may not find it at all. Luckily, there is one hippocampus on each side of the brain. So if one is affected by seizures, the other can help pick up the slack.

Thankyou everyone you've given me a lot of useful information :) it was worse again today, i had lessons all day and only remember half of biology and a tiny bit of the others, all i remember is feeling fine and then getting a funny feeling in my stomach a bit like butterflies, then everything looked strange and like I've never been there before but i knew i had (really hard to explain) then i just forgot and remember being tired for a hit then this all repeating again, apparently i was kept in by my teacher but i don't remember this, i think the normal wandering around doing random things and not talking any sense must have been happening then. It's a nightmare I've missed so much work and am so tired now just want to go to bed :-\

all i remember is feeling fine and then getting a funny feeling in my stomach a bit like butterflies, then everything looked strange and like I've never been there before but i knew i had (really hard to explain) then i just forgot and remember being tired for a hit then this all repeating again, apparently i was kept in by my teacher but i don't remember this, i think the normal wandering around doing random things and not talking any sense must have been happening then. It's a nightmare I've missed so much work and am so tired now just want to go to bed :-\

sounds like a simple/complex partial seizure. Call your neuro.

You should get a tape recorder for school. I've been losing my memory more and more and I hate it. It especially effects me after I'm getting over my seizures. The strange thing is that my memory also gets affected when I don't take my medicine. My body's so use to it that I can't keep my train of thoughts without it. Hope it gets better.

Sorry I've just woken up after being asleep for 6 hours after college, sleeping through all 5 alarms i had set, and my mom coming in and trying to wake me 3 times :-\ i will do tomorrow as it's quite late bow. Thankyou xxx

Bring a tape recorder to class. I used to do it because I'd fall asleep in class and miss the lecture (not seizure related, just a bad student). Just don't forget the tape recorder.

I know my friend hates the meds for that reason- he calls them a chemical lobotomy. He just went back on meds after years without a few days ago and, I already see the difference. No doubt in my mind that, at least for him, it's the meds.

Back
Top Bottom