Will 3D viewing trigger sizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

shags38

New
Reaction score
There is much hype and concern about the effect of 3D viewing being a trigger to epileptic seizures - the concerns and the myths need to be dispelled. This is probably the hottest topic glabally amongst epileptics.

Have a look at this brief but pertinent article which offers some interesting comment on this subject.

To read the article you need to go to a website where it is posted however the system will not let me put the url link to the wesite article in here. So I suppose this post was a waste of time. Pity because the article could be useful to many.

Maybe there are some readers out there that can get the moderator of this forum to contact me so I can share this information and indeed other information on some little known (rarely publicised) problems with medications in mutiple drug therapies particularly relating to Complex Partial Seizures - things that have surfaced "accidentally" that some of the best neurologists specializing in epilepsy in this country (Australia) were not generally aware of - these "situations" have surfaced with my 23 year old daughter who has had complex partial seizures since 6 months of age - some recently, some a number of years ago. It is not JUST about the medications prescribed or the doses, some other factors come into play that are only uncovered often by luck or accident that affect the integrity of the performance of the drugs.

I post on other epilepsy forums and would like to do so on this one - share my experiences as a parent and as someone who has done research on the subject - it appears my first attempt on this site was futile due to some archaic rule.

Cheers, Mike O'Shannessy

Last edited:
I have some photosensitivity issues, the first time I went to movies (not 3d), it triggered a seizure. I now only watch movie at home where I feel safe. I would never consider watching 3d!

I have some photosensitivity issues, the first time I went to movies (not 3d), it triggered a seizure. I now only watch movie at home where I feel safe. I would never consider watching 3d!
jgbmartin - thanks for your comment. At least you are aware and recognise you have photosensitivity issues - many epileptics out there "assume" they have without having photosensitive epilepsy properly diagnosed - hence many will be swayed by the hype and not give themselves the opportunity to enjoy a new entertainment medium.

cheers, Mike

The rule was not meant to be archaic. It was meant for the safety of others on this site, as it has been under attack by people who will only register to add harmful links and possibly trigger photosensitive people into seizures.

It has happened before. No worries though. A moderator should be by soon enough.

RAE1889,

thanks for your comment - I suppose I got a bit frustrated because the article in fact addresses "photosensitive epilepsy" as its theme regarding the issue of whether viewing
3D will indeed trigger seizures in those epileptics that have not been diagnosed with photosensitive epilepsy.

I appreciate your stance - I hope you appreciate my frustration - this is a NOW topic, affecting millions worldwide.

cheers, Mike

I also have photosensitvity issues. and I do believe that on some levels, we all do. regardless of epilepsy or not.

I have the smilies disabled on this site now, because they gave me headaches and the spins. Flashing lights of emergency vehicles are one triggered I noticed.

I guess I should clarify.

Everyone has a seizure threshold, some peoples are just lower than others. and given the right circumstances, lights and patterns, 3d image can trigger a seizure. In anyone. there are reports of japanese anime shows where people who have never experianced a seizure had one triggered from the episode. I dont think that every flashing light situation will give a photosensitive person a seizure. Even myself, as there are times when my fiance will drive past emergency vehicles and I will look directly at the lights *they are slightly distracting* and not have a seizure.

RAE,

Your comment about "we all have photosensitivity issues" is correct - many people who were not epilepsy sufferers complained about dizziness and headaches after watching Avatar - let's face it, 3D transmission frequencies and the 3D glasses "trick" the mind and vision into seeing something the eyes / mind were not meant to see in such a format.

Hence my passion in bringing this subject to the fore for epileptics in general but also the mainstream society. Lets get discussion going, read and research articles and put "myths" to bed.

cheers, Mike

Hi Mike --

Welcome to CWE. I searched on Google and found your article about the issue of photosensitivity/3D viewing as a trigger. The article was fairly brief, and included the wikipedia entry on photosensitivity, so I don't think the link is necessary to include at this time. There has been some discussion already here at CWE about Avatar, and whether it is safe to view. As has been noted above, some people with epilepsy are sensitive to photo triggers of various sorts, including strobes and fluorescents, whereas for others it's not a problem. You can search for discussions of photosensitivity here on CWE using the saerch tab at the top right.

Best,
Nakamova

RAE,
you seem to be a very active member of this site. I would like to make some posts from hard earned experience related to multi drug therapies particularly related to Complex Partial Seizures and the long term effects of such therapies involving high doses for seizure control on other organs in the body aside from the brain that in a reverse kind of way adversely affect the effectiveness of the drugs, and doses, such that seizures continue. I also have something to offer in respect to "styles" of drugs within the same type of drug from the same manufacturer that can alter blood levels of the drug in the system and hence have an adverse effect on controlling seizures.

So I ask your advice - in what section of this site should I make these posts? - there will not be any url's links - just my own comments.

cheers, Mike

Hi Mike --

"The Kitchen" is a good spot to post about anything epilepsy-related.

:agree:

I saw avatar, in 3D, and it did put me into a very long *approx 8min* complex partial. But very good movie. almost life like 3D imagry to the point where I thought I could feel the rain

But you are right. The brain was never meant to see those images in that context and in the format. 3D image is reserved for real life, and I think it would take alot of time and expensive trials *waste of money* to find something more life like. I think its the story lines and lessons in the movies worth watching, not just for the graphics and blending the line of real and fake

Hi Mike --

Welcome to CWE. I searched on Google and found your article about the issue of photosensitivity/3D viewing as a trigger. The article was fairly brief, and included the wikipedia entry on photosensitivity, so I don't think the link is necessary to include at this time. There has been some discussion already here at CWE about Avatar, and whether it is safe to view. As has been noted above, some people with epilepsy are sensitive to photo triggers of various sorts, including strobes and fluorescents, whereas for others it's not a problem. You can search for discussions of photosensitivity here on CWE using the saerch tab at the top right.

Best,
Nakamova
Nakamova, thanks for your response - yes you are correct, it is a brief article which I stated it was, and yes a Wikipedia reference is made - so what? I have had many positive responses from other Epilepsy Forum sites thanking me for offering my thoughts / the link. I have yet to search your site for similar topic comments however I find it rather restrictive, closed minded (just like society in general when it comes to understanding or wanting to understand epilepsy), overly selective, over censored (considering you have visited the article and have seen that it does not contain any spam or incorrect information etc). I thought that this site, its forums, postings etc was designed for everyone to contribute their input to the benefit of all?

How can you censor that article? What makes you think that the opinions in that article are any less worthy than any postings, comments or discussions on this subject to date on your site??

Your response indicated "not at this time" So when do you think the time will be right to post the link to that article so everyone else aside from you can read it?

If you sense frustration in my reply then you are correct - I have spent 23 years of my life fighting the system, fighting ignorance on behalf of my daughter, and I will continue to do so regardless of the attitudes or whims of others.

kindest regards, Mike O'Shannessy

Try this link

This is a link to a previous discussion about the movie Avatar. We like to try to limit the number of repetative threads, so that all the information can remain in one area for easy viewing pleasure.

I do sense the frustration, but being frustrated on those that are in the same situations as you and your daughter, is the wrong area to push the frustration. I get frustrated at the outside world that doesnt understand what we go through everyday. I think *to me at least* it is more important to educate those who are not "blessed" with this disorder

Last edited:
Nakamova, - forget Avatar - the wider issue is that very soon 3D Televisions will start appearing in homes. What of "friends" being invited to someones house to watch a movie or television program in 3D - what are the consequences if an invited guest has a seizure? what are the societal and legal obligations of simply asking the question of guests - do you suffer from photosensitive epilepsy? This but one other aspect of discussion on this all consuming topic affecting epilepsy sufferers worldwide and society in general.

We have to start somewhere - Avatar is a starting point but very much only the tip of the iceberg. The concerns, discussions need to be on a wider base than just discussion about Avatar.

cheers, Mike O'Shannessy

Well true.
Although I do think that if and when these 3D televisions come out, that it would be up to the person with epilepsy to disclose the information or just ask the simple question "Can we watch with the 3D setting off?" or "Is your TV equipped with 3D technology and if so can we chose something else to do instead of TV"

Just like with someone with a severe food allergy, it is up to that person to ask the right questions and make sure that their choices are the correct and safe oens for them.

Its an "every man for himself" world, and to be honest, there is no way that we are going to make everyone happy. There are people out there who cant be touched by sunlight, so insurance can pay to have their vehicle's windows tinted to "limousine tint" for them to be safe during transportation. Why is this not provided to a photosensitive epileptic?

its because being photosensitive is hard to prove in most cases. Epilepsy in general is hard to prove or disprove.

Mike - Welcome to CWE
We have a rule here that we view our conversation here like one at a dinner party. Usually visitors come and let us get to know them before they begin to ask that links be posted. I understand your passion about the subject. However, I doubt you would find anyone here that is not passionate. The subject is sensitive to each and every one of us.

Let us get to know you, and the discussion will evolve.

RAE, the discussions are narrowed down to Avatar and do not encompass the much larger issue - 3D Television will be in many homes very soon and in 5 years time they will be the norm. The issue is 3D and its possible, perceived effects on epileptics in general - not Avatar.

example: a mother of a child with epilepsy who "believes"that 3D viewing will be bad for her child, restricts her child from going to friends places because they may be watching
3D Television or movies at their home. If the child does not have photosensitive epilepsy then that child is denied a "normal" social life with his/her friends because of IGNORANCE - the word that typifies societies understanding, or lack thereof, of epilepsy and epileptics is IGNORANCE.

I may be out of line but I see the subject as being more than Avatar or any other 3D cinema movie - this subject will be in every home within 5 to 10 years.

cheers, Mike

Hi Mike --

New members are limited in posting links, as a matter of policy. But you're very welcome to post here at CWE, including discussing photosensitivity and your thoughts on drugs. This site is very open, and doesn't have an agenda other than providing support and information for those in the epilepsy community. It was founded by an individual, Bernard, out of love for his wife Stacy who has epilepsy. We like to think of it as a large congenial dinner party with a wide-ranging set of guests. I hope you can settle in and explore the forums, meet the other "guests", and join the conversation.

I don't see this much difference than my daughters dance teacher being concerned that strobe lights might be a problem for my daughter, and perhaps she shouldn't be in the dance show.
Or that she perhaps should not be figure skating, since she might hit her head. She has been a competitive skater for 14 yrs.
My daughter has sensitivities to foods. Perhaps she shouldn't eat out.... ever.
Heat triggers some people. Either they stay in a climate controlled room, and never go out, or they take their chances.

Are you proposing that the technology be halted? Or must we have warnings on each device, as they do on hot coffee cups?

Life is quite risky and downright dangerous at times.

Back
Top Bottom