Word retrieval

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Loudmouth

New
Reaction score
does anyone else on topamax have problems finding the right words in a conversaation? I went to the office at my kids school today and was stood there for 15 minutes asking them for a "LIFT" of school uniform prices.do you think for the life of me i could find the word "LIST" in my head? I only seem to be having this problem since i've been on topamax. I've also noticed that my memory,which was bad enough already,seems to be non existant now. I write things i need to remember on my hand,but if i wash my hand,they dont get remebered. I wondered if it was just me?

Yes..... I have trouble with words. I have trouble with speaking. Memory is shot to hell. I sure as hell don't blame it all on Topamax but I guess it's part of it. I've been on that stuff since it became available.
Then I lost my hippocampus too - lol lol lol
Then my husband learned he could say, "Oh, don't you remember? We talked about that and you said it was fine with you if I bought that. You said it was a good idea! Did you forget that too?!!?"

I was never any good with words.
I always had a problem with words even without my medicine.
My vocabulary was never good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definately! Ever since I have been on Topamax I have had a problem with words, even when they are simple words like 'is' or 'have.' I think it is even listed as a side effect (I could be wrong though)

I can't say that it's worse since I've been on Topamax; but I DO have a hard time at the weirdest times.......and I just have to stand there, trying to get the word out. THINGAMAJIGGER, DOOHICKEY, WHATCHMACALLIT have all become fill in words as of late.......and this from a published author.......:roflmao::roflmao:

A very long time ago when I was on Topomax, I found myself able to describe a word but unable to find the word itself. I'd say things like "It's the thing we live in" instead of house. Fortunately, when I'd been off the Topomax for a while, I recovered my vocabulary.

I also think that the pressure of wanting to find the right word, or finishing a thought can add to the lack of being able to do just that. When I find myself in that situation, I take a break and work on running other thought processes through my brain, and then I come back to searching for the word, and it becomes easier. I do have to mentally back myself away from the stressful moment.

I have never taken topomax.

I can totally relate to the word finding thingy. Mine has been going on for a long time, though, long before my epilepsy diagnosis. I think my word retrieval issues could be related to the seizures, as they both seemed to start around the same time. (My seizures for a long time were simple partial only, and infrequent, so I didn't seek treatment for years, and was only recently diagnosed).

As to the drugs causing it - in my case, I am on Trileptal, and I haven't noticed any changes with word retrieval issues, just overall short term memory problems and general dopiness. But I have seen this listed as a side effect for some AEDs.

I have recently started taking magnesium suppliments (thanks to endorsements by people on this site - thanks, all) and have noticed an improvement in both the word retrieval and short term memory issues.

I have had seizures since i was 14,been diagnosed since i was 22 (5 years now) and I've only had this since the topamax was added to my meds. The word of choice in our house is "Thingummyjiggly"Belive it or not,at 11 i joined mensa......I wont be re joining any time soon:roflmao::roflmao:

Every once in a while, I have difficulty with word retrieval....but it is usually worse when I'm more fatigued. To try to offset it, I try to read quite a bit. The only type of book I don't read is bodice ripper romance novels. :) They never really appealed to me. Too many heaving bosoms.... :) But anything else, I'll read.

I say yes. I am taking topamax now. I have to use post-its before I forget. I thought my memory was so bad before I had my brain surgery but they said it isnt as bad as I thought. I hope to be taking off of this pill.

I saw my neuro day before yestereday and she said she's keeping me on my full dosage of meds (Topamax three 100mg tablets and Trileptal four 300 mg tablets per day) for one more year and then we'll slowly and carefull drop one of the meds.
I'm not havings seizures ---- I'll keep swallowing those meds!!

I've been there

I've been there before the last time I was admitted into Dallas Parkland .I was taken off Zonegran and now I am Slowly being put om Topamax , I am up to 75mgs twice daily now, by the end of next week I'll be where my epileptoligist wants me and that is 100mg twice daily. But see he cut back on my carbatrol from 400mg twice daily to taking 200mg in the am and 400mg at pm because of toxicity. Just like I was taking 400mg of serouel but it hurt my stomach so they cut it back to 300mg at night.Same way with my Klonopin I take 1mg am 2mg at bedtime. But you see they had cut back temporarily, until they changed dosages on carbatrol and started topamax.The klonopin is my back in case I have a seizure. So you are not alone with the medication challenges, Just keep an up to date medine book

GOD BLES,
David Hair:e::ponder::twocents:

medicine book?

What do you mean by a medicine book? I've never heard of anyone say anything about one before? Could you explain it for me please? Thank you.:ponder:

I have had increasing difficulty over the years recalling words, especially nouns. Proper nouns are the worst (names, places, events, etc...).

I have not been able to single out a med, because I have only been on two over 27 years. Peoples names are what discourages me the most.

I relate to whats said on here. Word recall has been a great concern of mine. In collage, professors were telling me "you have an amazing command of the English language." Poetry is my thing, and even as a child I LOVED words. Today I am on Keppra XR and effexor but some say it is the town I live in. I moved from Seattle to Olympia (where it is small and no major universities) 13 years ago. Is it lack of exposure to good language? I read lots and write but still have lost so many words. I have a visceral joy sensation when I see or learn a word i did not know/remember. So now I write it down on a piece of paper and tack or tape it to the kitchen wall. More review/exposure helps i think. I have a brain injury and some more damage with each seizure i assume. I will be trying magnesium added to my omega 3s and vitamine supplements; Does it still work if I take in a (Clacium/magnesium/ zinc combo pill?) It also has some manganese, which i read reference to here and want it. Thanks all.

i relate to this big time.i have try magnesium,it soooooooooooooo frustrating not being able to recall simple words

I am home!!!

I have finally learned why I can't think of even a simple word - thank you to
everyone who has posted. Today, I asked my doc to wean me off of topamax - I hope to have my brain back before too long. :woot:

first of all, try not to stress to much, it only makes it worse. even more so when you are trying to recall a word, and if you cant think of a word, don't worry about it, look for another word or two that mean the same thing so you can lead them in the right direction. Conversations can be easy to steer if you don't stress.

My issues with finding words are unrelated to medication--they must be just a part of my epilepsy these days, or perhaps all the anticonvulsants I've tried have caused the problem. When I was having more seizures i didn't have this problem so that could mean that my TLE is good for me in that one way (not as unlikely as it may sound) or that I've just degenerated since that time--it has been four years since then.

Back
Top Bottom