Yoga & Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
I've just begun yoga...years ago before the realizing of Epilepsy I'd take a three hour class in the city after work with a friend and then we'd go out for a microbiotic meal. Those were the days!

Note: The effect of yoga on the EEG and the autonomic nervous system have been reported.

Strong pranayama (breath practices) or trataka (gazing at meditation object should be avoided.)

Yoga reduces frequency and duration of seizures.

Yoga involves breathing exersizes (don't deep breath!), posture control, devotional session and meditation is considered to reduce stress and induce relaxation since stress is an important precipitating factor (well, we all know that!)

While I no longer have the luxury (freedom or stamina) to attend a three hour yoga class then hang out,eating microbiatic meals. I do have a good, sturdy "purple " yoga mat and a beginner's tape. Only 20 min to start. (You should not injest any food for two hours before beginning and when the instructer tells you to take "one deep breath" ingnore that and keep your breathing shallow.

Have been feeling much better since getting back to this healthy new habit!

Try it! :tup:

Last edited:
I just finished a group of yoga classes

I loved them but it was only 2 1/2 hours once a week & somebody told me that isn't enough to get any benefit.

Any idea how often is sufficient to see any sort of difference?

Lovin' Yoga

I've been teaching yoga for 6 years and LOVE it. ANY amount of yoga you can do helps your body. Not only that, the yogic principles are wonderful if you have an "illness." Many times I've had to remember to "stay in the moment" or "listen to my body----it knows best." It's been those principals that have allowed me to get up, brush myself off, and continue on this journey to achieve a more healthy lifestyle.

I've just begun yoga...

Congrats on making a positive move for yourself!

... I do have a good, sturdy "purple " yoga mat and a beginner's tape.

Stacy is similarly set up with a mat and Yoga CD she got from McDonalds (of all places) that she's been using for a year or two. She feels better when she does the Yoga regularly. :)

That's what I used to in the city, back then...about 3 hours, once a week. I think doing yoga for any stretch and/or amount of time is "good." Certainly, can't hurt! What kind of benefits are you looking for?.. spiritually, physically, mentally"? Or all mentioned? I go for all three.

There are so many "schools" of yoga devoted to a particular goal. For example there is "Berkin"(sp) yoga which requires that you practice in 100 degree climate! There is much more to it but you could look it up on the net.

I'm just an amature and work 20 minutes each morning. It helps get the junk out of my mind, it's a great way to "work out" the entire body. I love to stretch and believe me by day two my whole body ached a bit but in a good way. It's a good way to build up and stretch muscle mass.

You might want to run this by your doctor first, but I think sticking with your 2 1/2 hour class is a great luxury you should hold onto it, and throughout the week give yourself a set amount of time and do your practice. I wouldn't go for 3 hours every day! And remember, please stay away from deep breathing no matter what your intructor says. Deep breathing triggered my first seizure. I was practicing pranayama, to calm down and my breathing world whirled out of control and I found myself hyperventilating, then I was out!

Deep breathing is a big no no for those of us with Epilepsy! Just keep the breathing...light!

Mac D Grows Up!

Wow! A yoga CD at Mac D's! Are they now trying to compete with Boarders?! Thought you only got those plastic little characters in the kiddie "deal". That's funny! Hey, it doesn't matter where you get it just as long as it's good. I'm sure Stacey would never settle for anything but the best. She has you! (Now, I can't figure out if I'm kissing ass or flirting?..You? A "cool" guy in serious summation.) Oh well, you know me, Bernard. You never know what you're going to get. I come in assorted flavors!
L AKA Cinnabar :girl:

Last edited:
Welcome!

I've been teaching yoga for 6 years and LOVE it. ANY amount of yoga you can do helps your body. Not only that, the yogic principles are wonderful if you have an "illness." Many times I've had to remember to "stay in the moment" or "listen to my body----it knows best." It's been those principals that have allowed me to get up, brush myself off, and continue on this journey to achieve a more healthy lifestyle.
Oh! I really need to learn how to "stay in the moment". Usually, all over the place. Endless, mind chatter. I feel balanced throughout and after a session. A great way for me to begin my day!

I wish I could do yoga, but with the disability in my left arm plus my oestroposis...not too much I can do except the breathing!
I did yoga years ago and was really suprised how much it helped me.

Yes. And I've also heard that it's better to breath in through and out through the nose only. So, as I said, I ignore the inhale, exhale instructions on my tape. I'm very conscious of my breathing now, especially, when upset.

Hmm... maybe I could try this :ponder: What kind of yoga we need to do, is it as hard as what I saw at The Sims 2 game :eek: ? Sorry a bit Out of topic :oops:

Back
Top Bottom