Zonegran and insomnia

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Garbo

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hello all!

I haven't posted for a while due to being very busy, as well as dealing with lots of medication changes. We discovered that I respond exceedingly well to Zonegran; however, it gives me such bad insomnia that the first time I tried it I didn't sleep for four days.

If anyone has tried it/taken it and experienced this, does this stop? Is there any way to combat it? I'm trying to take it earlier (around 6 PM), but even then my body is incredibly exhausted-- I just cannot sleep! I've not gone thirty-six hours without a full REM cycle (just little thirty minute sleep cycles).

I'm also taking Carbitrol and we lowered my dose of Topamax. Maybe they all interact?

Thanks!

Ever since my current neuro increased the Zonegran from 200 mg to 500 mg, I've had insomnia, so I've had to counteract it with clonazepam at night to help me sleep. :\

To me, it seems like Zonegran is truly a huge hit or miss for people.

Last edited:
I'm on both Zonegran and Topamax myself, sleeping is tricky for me as well.

I've found herbal teas can help quite a bit, keeps me off another med to help knock me out anyway. chamomile with spearmint is always a winner.

Thank you so much for your kind and insightful replies!

I tried taking my medications earlier (around 6 PM) and surprisingly that helped! My body is adjusting and I'm finding I'm sleeping a lot better, although sometimes still not as well as I would like. Some nights it's hit or miss.

Also, for those who are still having problems, I hope that you are able to sort out your own problems with sleeping and your medications.

This may sound like a 'round about path, but Zonegran and Topamax have really similar side effects and depletion profiles and I found the insomnia responded to making sure I had really high levels of potassium, magnesium and calcium in my diet and took vitamin D. It can definitely deplete vitamin D and calcium, which will hose your sleep. I thought it was all the med but once I balanced out my nutrients I stopped having non-stop insomnia. Just one thing you might want to try since Zonegran can be harsh on nutrients. Drink a lot of water too.

I only drink water, milk, or coffee (sometimes tea, as in herbal tea). I have noticed that I am thirstier, which to me is not necessarily a bad thing since I feel my body can do with more water.

Thanks for the advice! I will be sure to increase my vitamin intake or speak with my neuro about this. I may also start eating more yogurt and cheese to get more calcium.

Definitely drink plenty of water/liquids with Zonegran! It can dehydrate you like crazy.

I shall just post here, rather than creating another thread.

I'm also on Carbatrol. I understand that Zonegran causes weight loss, not weight gain. Since I started both medications-- Carbatrol around November; Zonegran in December-- I have rapidly gained about twenty pounds. Granted, it was the holidays, but I still ran 4-6 miles and did my weight training, plus rode my horse. Since January 1, I have gone back to my regular diet. Do either one of these medications cause rapid weight gain? None of my clothes fit me and I'm wondering how to lose the weight because it's not coming off despite my best efforts.

Carbatrol lists rapid weight gain as a side effect, though it calls it "rare". That may be the more likely culprit. Zonegran definitely was an appetite suppressant for me, and I did lose weight on it.

On the askapatient site for Tegretol (which = Carbatrol) some people mentioned weight loss and some people mentioned weight gain, so it's sounds like it can affect people either way. See http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=16608&name=TEGRETOL

Back
Top Bottom