Zonegran dental side effects?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
My neurologist upped my dosage from 500 mg to 600 mg per day last week. I hadn't had any side effects except for drowsiness, but since I started this new dosage, my gums are super sensitive.

I noticed last night whilst brushing my teeth, my gums started bleeding. I use a soft bristled toothbrush, and don't brush hard at all.

I know that Dilantin causes tooth/gum problems, as my sister lost some of hers while on it, but has anyone on Zonegran noticed this side effect before?

Hi Skyfire! I started Zonegram in August of this year and yet to have experienced this issue you speak of. However, I do find your post helpful and will keep watch for an issue! Also on that note, I have found it helpful, on recommendation of my dentist, to increase my cleanings/visits to 3 per year from the usual 2 (I was on Trileptal at the time which can do similar things to the gums). That helped me tremendously, reducing the bleeding and sensitivity to near nothing! You may want to discuss this option with your Dentist and see what he/she thinks.

I do remember my Dentist mentioning something about AEDs, poor gum condition and the possible need for an extra cleaning every year many years back. I took the plunge about 3 years back, went to the 3 cleanings and have been very happy with the results!

Added: Note: I am no longer on Trileptal

Last edited:
I take Depakote and Keppra which both cause problems with your gums. It hurt to brush my teeth and eat sometimes. When I went to the dentist he told me the problem was probably caused by one of those medicines.

He did some type of surgery/procedure which I believe added more enamel too your teeth. Raising the enamel because your gums were receding. After he did this everything went back to normal. I still have a problem every so often but it seems to go away after a few days.

I didn't see that one of the side effects of Zonegram was problems with your gums but it wouldn't hurt to go to a dentist to find out. It could be another problem that you are having?

I take Dilantin and had problems with bleeding gums for years.
I haven't had bleeding gums since I started using an electric toothbrush on the advice of my dental hygienist.

Last edited:
Hey,
I take both Zonegran (500 mg) & Depakote ER (1000 mg) daily, so, I understand where you're coming from regarding the sensitive gums. However, I do use Sensodyne type toothpaste and get my teeth cleaning twice yearly. I also have to get my teeth grind down due to the fact that I have a tendency to have Nocturnal Epilepsy. I hate to wake up with half my tongue bit. It hurts for days!

Terri

I didn't have any gum problems when I was on Zonegran, but I was only on it for 6 months. Zonegran is known to cause dehydration and dry mouth (which can lead to bleeding/sore gums) so make sure to drink plenty of water -- more than you are used to drinking.

Gum overgrowth is listed as a rare side effect of Zonegran, so it's a good idea to see your dentist every 3 to 6 months (if possible) to keep an eye on things. And if the gum bleeding gets worse, make an dentist appointment sooner rather than later.

Back
Top Bottom